How could we view full screen on a third monitor ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sharif Al-Hamidi

How could we view full screen on a third monitor ?

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Dear all
how could we view full screen in Davinci resolve 14 on a third monitor ?

I get used to use three monitors in my work so can we enable a third monitor on davinci resolve 14 to make full screen on a separate third monitor ?

help

Dario Caamaño

Re: How could we view full screen on a third monitor ?

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Sharif Al-Hamidi wrote:Dear all
how could we view full screen in Davinci resolve 14 on a third monitor ?

I get used to use three monitors in my work so can we enable a third monitor on davinci resolve 14 to make full screen on a separate third monitor ?

help
You need a Blackmagic card to output what you need (sdi, hdmi, etc)

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

Sharif Al-Hamidi

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks
I have a Geforce GTX980 6 GB TI graphics card and I have three monitors at work
could we view timeline as a full screen on a third monitor ?????

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Not supported in Resolve. You need BM card preview for this. It's not massive cost and guarantees color accurate preview compared to GUI preview.

JPOwens

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 pm

Beware that some BMD output devices do not support all formats over HDMI, and displays plus the HDMI HDCP interface are just as much to blame.

jPo, CSI

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 am

JPOwens wrote:Beware that some BMD output devices do not support all formats over HDMI, and displays plus the HDMI HDCP interface are just as much to blame.

Joe is absolutely right: HDCP is a thing of Pure Evil.

Some of us are using a Blackmagic UltraStudio as a video source feeding a Teranex Mini HD-SDI -> HDMI converter, and the Teranex appears to kind of "stabilize" the HDMI signal to the point where dropouts or format issues go away. I emphasize this is not a flaw with Resolve or the UltraStudio -- it's a flaw with HDMI in general, because it's very, very sensitive to signal fluctuations. That does not happen with a pure HD-SDI connection.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm

How come Teranex can do it right and all other cards badly? Both come from the same manufacturer. If BM can do it right in Teranex they can do it right in other cards. Makes sense, no?
BM simply needs to step up and fix those issues. They are not normal in the world of HDMI. You may have issues with some pairs of devices, but in case of BM it's just way to often.

Sorry but saying it's not a fault with BM card, but HDMI in general is quite bold statement. If this would be true people with DVD, BD players etc and so many different TV models around the world would have those issues every time and HDMI would not survive. It's the same HDMI standard, BM is not using anything different. If others can do it right BM also can. There are thousands TV boxes/DVD/BD players+TVs different combinations, and they work fine. BM has just few devices.
It's just quality of the BM code around HDMI protocol simply being not good enough.

John Paines

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 2:13 pm

In any event, no card will do what the OP asked for -- a third monitor for timeline only, though there is the option in dual screen mode of switching the main monitor to full screen timeline, with the viewers going to the secondary monitor. Workspace>dual screen>full screen timeline.

As for the evils of HDCP - how many people who pay to legally stream material on platforms like Amazon Video are watching the SD versions of their favorite blockbuster on their 65" 4K screen because they can't get it to work and/or any hardware in the chain pre-dates the standards, including lots of gtx cards which apparently don't support it.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 2:35 pm

As for the evils of HDCP - how many people who pay to legally stream material on platforms like Amazon Video are watching the SD versions of their favorite blockbuster on their 65" 4K screen because they can't get it to work and/or any hardware in the chain pre-dates the standards, including lots of gtx cards which apparently don't support it.

Totally different matter. Signal from BM cards is not even protected.
If something pre-dates standard then it's normal that it won't work.
Your point is totally unrelated to problem with BM cards. They are new and very up to date (also firmware flashable).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 pm

John Paines wrote:In any event, no card will do what the OP asked for -- a third monitor for timeline only, though there is the option in dual screen mode of switching the main monitor to full screen timeline, with the viewers going to the secondary monitor. Workspace>dual screen>full screen timeline.

He wants full screen video preview on "3rd monitor", so how come BM card won't do it? It's the only way to do it in Resolve compared to other NLEs, where it can be done using just GUI preview.

John Paines

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 3:03 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Your point is totally unrelated to problem with BM cards.

I thought that was obvious, but if it disturbed you, sorry.

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:He wants full screen video preview on "3rd monitor"

Read his last post ("I have three monitors at work could we view timeline as a full screen on a third monitor ?????"). It's to that I was responding. The third video monitor thing has been asked and answered so many times, I thought it was "totally unrelated", to use your term, to any useful discussion. Whereas the full-screen timeline option does exist, though not in the form the OP probably wants if he expects that one of two remaining monitors will have a full-screen display of program material without a BMD card.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Ok, I read first post which is about full screen video preview. These are both different needs.
I'm not "disturbed", no problem :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve