Audio Stutter on Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Jones

Audio Stutter on Playback

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I've had audio sync issues before, but this is a new one. Everything is synced fine, but there is more and more stutter as the video progresses. What's even odder is that the playback is fine in Resolve during editing. The stutter doesn't actually present until the finished I playback on the finished video on my media player. The issue isn't the media player since I'm doing a screen capture and tested the video on the same player before editing with Resolve with no issues.

Since it works fine IN resolve, I figure the issue has to be during the Delivery step, right? I'm using the preset for YouTube 1080p 60FPS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If it helps, I'm using Intel i7 based PC with a Gigabyte Auros 1080ti, Windows 10, and Resolve 14.1.0.018. This is the first time using this PC and Resolve 14. I'm pretty sure I have all my settings the same on my old PC and Resolve 12.5 setup. Let me know if you need further info.

Glenn Jones

Re: Audio Stutter on Playback

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 pm

bump

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:26 pm

That preset uses QuickTime. Try the standard MP4 instead.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Glenn Jones

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That preset uses QuickTime. Try the standard MP4 instead.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there is no difference.

Jean Claude

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Try :

First I will upgrade to V14.1.1. Attention, there is update of the database => backup of the base + export of projects in .DRP.
After: re-import of .DRP. if it does not work the first time

If the source is in VBR: be careful, DR does not like. => convert to CBR.
If the source is compressed: try to convert it to an uncompressed format.
In the Edit tab: try to activate the "show all video frame". Edit and Fairlight tab promotes audio, unlike color tab and delivry)

A 1080p project with a gtx1080Ti is very easy for DR in a normal context.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Glenn Jones

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Try :

First I will upgrade to V14.1.1. Attention, there is update of the database => backup of the base + export of projects in .DRP.
After: re-import of .DRP. if it does not work the first time

If the source is in VBR: be careful, DR does not like. => convert to CBR.
If the source is compressed: try to convert it to an uncompressed format.
In the Edit tab: try to activate the "show all video frame". Edit and Fairlight tab promotes audio, unlike color tab and delivry)

A 1080p project with a gtx1080Ti is very easy for DR in a normal context.

I got the same issue with the new update. I tried again after exporting and re-importing using the MP4 formate. I always use CBR for my captures due to sync issues with VBR. I double checked and my source files are MP4 files captured using CBR. I also tried your suggestion of activating "show all video frames" in the Edit tab to no avail. I shouldn't need to do anything in the Fairlight tab since there aren't any audio issues. Everything sounds fine during the edit. The issue only arises after the video is rendered. When I play back the video, it starts off fine, but the audio quickly starts to pop and crackle really bad. That's why I thought the problem was happening in the Delivery tab since it only presents after rendering the final video. I've now tried with a couple other videos which have all given me the same results.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 am

Ever since the latest Win10 update, playback in Media Player, Quicktime, and VLC of any video results in choppy playback. It is only smooth in the Films & TV player. A bug in the latest Win10 update I think.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Glenn Jones

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Ever since the latest Win10 update, playback in Media Player, Quicktime, and VLC of any video results in choppy playback. It is only smooth in the Films & TV player. A bug in the latest Win10 update I think.

Thank you for the suggestion, but that didn't help either. Everything plays fine in VLC until AFTER rendering in Resolve. Nevertheless, I tried using the Films & TV player and got the same choppy mess as always. I'm completely baffled. At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to invest in and learn Premiere Pro. :(

Glenn Jones

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, this isn't an issue in my test of Premiere Pro. It's too bad. I really like Resolve and don't feel like spending another year learning all the intricacies of another program. Unfortunately, this audio issue is an impasse. If anyone figures out a solution, please let me know.

Jean Christophe

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Meet same issue, my clips are mp4(h264/acc), playback is ok on timeline, but audio is randomly bad on some clips from one export to another (i restarted Davinci Resolve between exports)

My work around :
- Convert mp4(h264/acc) files to mov(h264/pcm) with ffmpeg (c:v copy, ultra fast conversion)
- Rename *.mov files to *.mp4
- Relink my clips using "Change source directory"
- Deliver
- Et voilà !

In futur, i will convert all mp4 files into mov(h264/pcm) before starting any project in Davinci Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve