Could camera follow a tracked object in Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Rivers

Could camera follow a tracked object in Resolve?

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 am

Thats an example of what I need https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=iwOT-8mdSII

I dont exactly need such a sophisticated tracking of a small object. I just need camera to follow a person who is walking from left to right on a screen and keep him in the center of the frame.

Googled it up but could not find any solution in Resolve sadly.
Last edited by Daniel Rivers on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thomas Milde

Re: Could this type of tracking be done in Resolve?

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm

As far as I know you can't. But you could use Fusion, which has some fine tracking tools on board and can be used out of Resolve via "Fusion connect".
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Jean Claude

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Daniel Rivers wrote:Thats an example of what I need https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=iwOT-8mdSII

I dont exactly need such a sophisticated tracking of a small object. I just need camera to follow a person who is walking from left to right on a screen and keep him in the center of the frame.

Googled it up but could not find any solution in Resolve sadly.

Try to see here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos
There are tutorials on tracking. I think there must be some who have to meet your needs. (see also keyframe in the manual)

Do not hesitate to test: as in AFX :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 am

I suspect you're going to be better off using something more specialized like Mocha.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am

Hey Daniel,

Yes, you may do it but Resolve is indeed not the best place to be for that.
Anyway, if you clip is "clear", that's to say the walking guy is not regularly covered by persons or other stuff, you could track him easily. If not, you'll have to additionally use keyframes to perform a good track.

Then you should make tests in the classic stabilizer, unticking pan, and trying to copy/paste the track data and adjust it for the guy to stay focused on.
Alternatively, still in the classic stabilizer, you may test the "-100 trick" usually done for sky replacement, for the guy to remain focused on too...

I confess I'd do it in Mocha (maybe Fusion but only if I had to have something to stick on the movement path), but it's worth the try in Resolve (though without a clip to see I can't be sure it's relevant)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Daniel Rivers

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Sam Steti wrote:I confess I'd do it in Mocha (maybe Fusion but only if I had to have something to stick on the movement path), but it's worth the try in Resolve (though without a clip to see I can't be sure it's relevant)

Hello Sam. Here is a low-res example of the video - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1biEEP ... 7KAxpf8GDJ. Seem pretty straightforward and simple to trace. I would prefer doing it in Resolve if it is possible with a stabilizer.

Daniel Rivers

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey Daniel,

Yes, you may do it but Resolve is indeed not the best place to be for that.
Anyway, if you clip is "clear", that's to say the walking guy is not regularly covered by persons or other stuff, you could track him easily. If not, you'll have to additionally use keyframes to perform a good track.

Then you should make tests in the classic stabilizer, unticking pan, and trying to copy/paste the track data and adjust it for the guy to stay focused on.
Alternatively, still in the classic stabilizer, you may test the "-100 trick" usually done for sky replacement, for the guy to remain focused on too...

I confess I'd do it in Mocha (maybe Fusion but only if I had to have something to stick on the movement path), but it's worth the try in Resolve (though without a clip to see I can't be sure it's relevant)

I tried everything you suggested but nothing worked. The camera doesnt follow my perfectly tracked subject (i did copy track data from the Windows page, used a classic stabilizer, etc)

Can someone help me pls?

Kerry Garrison

Re: Could camera follow a tracked object in Resolve?

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am

You need to do this in Fusion. The free version will do what you need.
2022 MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64gb RAM

cksm_yes

Re: Could camera follow a tracked object in Resolve?

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Kerry Garrison wrote:You need to do this in Fusion. The free version will do what you need.

How do we do it in fusion?

Return to DaVinci Resolve