RUGGED POWER BANK for BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Flavio Filho

RUGGED POWER BANK for BMPCC

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Hello

I thought to ask in a new post. Thought there are other posts with similar questions.
I'm looking for a RUGGED power back that could output 12V and the right Amp to the BMPCC. I know the Anker, thought it's too bulky. I'm looking for a smaller version, around 10000 mpah.

Like the "RAVPower 10050mAh Portable Charger Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Power Bank with iSmart Ports Built-in Flashlight" on Amazon UK for example.

I'm not much of an Electrician when it comes to cinematography. Though I believe it must exist one option of such kind, more compact, and rugged, "waterproof".

Every little helps.

Thanks,
Flavio

Anatoly Mashanov

Re: RUGGED POWER BANK for BMPCC

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Flavio Filho wrote:Like the "RAVPower 10050mAh Portable Charger Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Power Bank with iSmart Ports Built-in Flashlight" on Amazon UK for example.

You need a 12-V power bank (3-4 Li cells in series). RAVPower looks to be a 5V USB only, it's not enough. There are multiple topics about powering the cameras in this forum.

Marc LaFunk

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi Flavio,

I know what you mean, but isn’t it a better option, in that price range, to go with a NPF battery plate for the BMPCC? If you look on eBay, I don’t know about Amazon cause they still don’t deliver every product to my country, you’ll see that they are really inexpensive and then you have the option to buy several NPF batteries in different capacities. So you have more control over weight as well as bulkiness and you can exchange batteries really quickly on the spot.

I use this option myself when I only need to power the camera and where a V-mount plate + battery makes the rig to big.

Hope this helps, good luck with the search for the right fit for your rig.

Flavio Filho

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Anatoly Mashanov wrote:
Flavio Filho wrote:Like the "RAVPower 10050mAh Portable Charger Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof Power Bank with iSmart Ports Built-in Flashlight" on Amazon UK for example.

You need a 12-V power bank (3-4 Li cells in series). RAVPower looks to be a 5V USB only, it's not enough. There are multiple topics about powering the cameras in this forum.

Thanks.

I've read lots of the other topics. But they point basically to the same options.
But thanks for the info shared anyway.

Flavio Filho

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello again.

A friend showed up in my shooting last week with a Anker PowerCore 20100.
She said you only need an adapter in eBay to fir the battery and in the other side is a USB female.

We used it in the shooting and it was great. Apart from the old problem of these power banks not having any part to put screws.

But the main reasons I'm looking for a rugged/waterproof (or almost) is because I will be travelling to rough places from next year with my gear. So, I need to understand the specs of the power banks that would work with the BMPCC. And if using that plug to convert USB to the mini plug in the BMPCC, I could have more options of Power Banks? LIke the FosPower PowerActive 10200mAh?

* What is the output the power bank has to have? 4.8A?

I have only 2 weeks to decide and buy a solution. And still test it.

Thanks,
Flavio

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm

You need a minimum of 7.4 VDC to,power the Pocket camers, so a 5VDC USB tap is not going to work. A 12-volt source is best. You need to look for a difference solution, like the JuiceLink battery designed for the Pocket/Micro cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Flavio Filho

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks guys

Kim, I have thought about the V Mount Battery.
Would a Rolux Plate +Battery be good enough? What brands should I look for?
And with the d-tap cable, what adaptor should I get?

The batteries, which brand/model are more compacts/affordable?

Thanks once more guys. Sorry the so many questions. I need to sort this out asap and need to know the best of what I can get for the money. Budget wise I would say £100-£120 for a battery solution would be more than I would like to spend.

Flavio

Flavio Filho

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks again, Kim.

I am checking options of V Mount Plates and batteries.
The Tilta BT-003 V-Mount Battery Plate is interesting.
Though all the V Mount Batteries are so expensive. More than a £100.

Combining these solution, it comes to almost £300.
Hence the Anker solution was an option to consider.

I'm not sure if I got that. But what is the problem of the Anker Power Bank being used with a BMPCC?
Apart from not being an elegant solution, of course.

I have used it and the only thin I didn;t like was the fact there is no way to fit this in the 15mm rod without gaffer tapes or something.

If any of you have any affordable solution like the Tilta BT-003 V-Mount Battery Plate please let me know.
Otherwise I will possible go for the anker power bank and adapter cable.

Thanks,
Flavio

Flavio Filho

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am

Flavio Filho wrote:
Combining these solution, it comes to almost £300.
Flavio

And I still forgot to check the price of the battery CHARGER.

Return to Cinematography