Using 2 Sennheiser AVX MKE2 Wireless Lavs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Silver

Using 2 Sennheiser AVX MKE2 Wireless Lavs

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:31 am

Has anyone tried using Sennheiser AVX MKE2 wireless lavs, plugging the receivers into the 2 XLR ports on the UMP? I've done it twice in two completely different locations. Both times I got some static interference where I would lose essentially both transmitters in a mess of static for a few seconds.

It would happen intermittently. Wondering if there is any way to protect from this happening.

I did put the receivers on a Zoom H6 and recorded sound separately. When I did this, I had no problems over 2 days of 8-10 hours of shooting.

It sucks because I had to worry about remembering to start the Zoom up every time I had a take.

Adam

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Using 2 Sennheiser AVX MKE2 Wireless Lavs

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 5:45 am

Never tried to put both on UMP, but I have had issues on Zoom H6 when they were plugged into XLR next to each other on same side of the H6. Had to plug into opposite sides of H6 to stop the interference. Not sure if it's a problem with the Zoom or the Sennheisers. I've been meaning to contact Sennheiser about it.
Have you tested other XLRs into the UMP ruled out an issue with its XLR ports?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Reynold Dodson

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I have successfully shot with two AVX wireless receivers plugged in to my UM46 on several shoots. One was working with the MKE2 and the other was working with their handheld mike. Everything has worked fine for me, I did not get any noise problems. I have done both outside walking around shoots and inside sitting on a tripod. Only time I got noise was when I was testing and I had someone start walking down the street to see how far the wireless would work. I was amazed how far they worked, but they did get noisy and fade out with the mics were halfway down the next block.

Marco Solorio also uses them extensively and he's got a few BM cameras:

http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/revie ... io-system/

Are you sure all the batteries are charged?
Can you try re-linking them?
What is the distance between the mic and the camera?

Adam Silver

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I rented them at two different times. The distance between the mics and the camera was about 8 to 10 feet. Interestingly enough, I did have 3 in use at the same time hooked up to an H6, and they worked flawlessly.

Adam

Return to Cinematography