Sony CFast 2.0 Card - 8K Capable!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Sony CFast 2.0 Card - 8K Capable!

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Announcement Article: http://www.doddlenews.com/sony-unveils- ... t-2-cards/

This line hit me:

With CFast 2.0 becoming the primary recording medium for a vast array of cinema cameras, and 8k ultra high definition standards following fast and furious, the need for a faster read/write speeds becomes a concern. That’s why Sony’s new upgraded G Series CFast 2.0 standard may be a god send.

I wonder if this means that higher resolution on a future URSA Mini will be possible with CFast 2.0. I hope so.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Denny Smith

Re: Sony CFast 2.0 Card - 8K Capable!

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Interesting, will they work in any CFast 2.0 interface, or just on Sony CFast 2.0 equipped cameras?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

timbutt2

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Interesting, will they work in any CFast 2.0 interface, or just on Sony CFast 2.0 equipped cameras?
Cheers

I'd assume any CFast 2.0 interface since at this time there are no Sony cameras that use CFast 2.0. However, I think this indicates Sony is going to include CFast 2.0 in their future cameras.

I think it would be stupid for Sony to make it only work with their cameras. They'll make more money selling these cards to people shooting on Blackmagic cameras, Canon Cameras, ARRI cameras, etc. Also, the more manufacturers out there means it drives the price of CFast 2.0 cards down. Personally I want to see a 1TB CFast 2.0 card with the Read/Write speeds of these Sony cards for $500 in the future.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 pm

8k capable on a camera that shoots 150Mbit 4K. They aren't significantly faster than any other Cfast 2.0 media out there and Sony charges a hefty premium for their media. $1000 bucks for 128GB SXS card, no thanks. Sony developing a camera that uses Cfast will likely do more for lowering the price of Cfast than their entry into this area of development. I see FS7s or maybe they're FS5s everywhere.

Earl R. Thurston

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 am

Keep in mind the URSA Mini 4.6K requires a sustained write speed of 513 MB/s for raw. The new Sony CFast cards claim up to 510 MB/s, but the VPG130 standard only guarantees a sustained write speed of 130 MB/s.

So, although they claim their cards are 8K capable, that would have to be for a compressed codec. And from that perspective, any of the current best-of-breed cards that go up to around 455 MB/s would likely be able to do 8K as well.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Denis Kazlowski

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 am

That article was badly written from the computer data I/O perspective. from -

But thanks to Sony’s Video Performance Guarantee spec, that equates to a continuous write speed of 1040 MB/s, sustained write speeds of 130 MB/s. Translation

I have not the foggiest of what the writer is trying to say. Translation 'nothing'. Sustained Write and Sequential Write mean different things. I love how flash vendors marketing teams confuse and conflate all this together and put out press releases.

I shoot 4K DNG 1:1 on devices rated with sequential write speeds of 440MB/s to 490MB/s at 4k block size, not to be confused with 4K images.

More from that article
Even with uncompressed Raw, there’s still room to refine the codecs to improve image quality.

That should speak for itself. I've seen snippets of the copy-paste sony text on now 5 photo blogs... but.. this text is missing from the actual press release:
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-expand ... ast-range/

And here is a query of just how copy-paste this went
https://www.google.com/search?q=Joining ... +SxS+cards

Return to Cinematography