No SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christopher Oswald

No SSD

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 am

Hello everyone.

I'm currently having trouble with my SanDisk Ultra II SSD and I am stumped as to what to do. Since last night, My Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF Mount) has stopped recognizing the card and displays a 'NO SSD' warning and the Format Disk button in the menu's greyed out. I tried switching my camera on and off multiple times, reinserted the card over and over, and switched between Recording Formats to no avail.

Hoping my PC could still recognize the SSD, I checked but had no luck - it won't even show up in the file explorer like it used to. I've already tried a different PC and two Macs to find the same results, the SSD simply isn't recognized.

Prior to this event, I'd not come across any kind of trouble with either my camera or SSD card, and I've already made sure that my camera's up to date.

I unfortunately made the fatal mistake of not creating any backups before this happened. Is there still a chance my footage can be saved? I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Denis Kazlowski

Re: No SSD

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Christopher Oswald wrote:Hello everyone.

I'm currently having trouble with my SanDisk Ultra II SSD and I am stumped as to what to do. Since last night, My Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF Mount) has stopped recognizing the card and displays a 'NO SSD' warning and the Format Disk button in the menu's greyed out. I tried switching my camera on and off multiple times, reinserted the card over and over, and switched between Recording Formats to no avail.

Hoping my PC could still recognize the SSD, I checked but had no luck - it won't even show up in the file explorer like it used to. I've already tried a different PC and two Macs to find the same results, the SSD simply isn't recognized.

Prior to this event, I'd not come across any kind of trouble with either my camera or SSD card, and I've already made sure that my camera's up to date.

I unfortunately made the fatal mistake of not creating any backups before this happened. Is there still a chance my footage can be saved? I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

1. Check all the SATA pins on the SSD for debris, shorts and bending etc.. Check your cables and connectors. Don't use the USB converter as it won't tell you the true status of the drive.

2. Use the computers internal native SATA connectors and restart the machine to see what the machine can tell you out about the status of the SATA bus (e.g. S.M.A.R.T ERROR), no boot on SATA connected - other - Do this one time or two times and not repeatedly.

3. Do not download or buy data recovery software, Do not use any 'repair' tools, including internal to OS - if that footage matters to you.

4. Contact Sandisk and ask for their diagnosis or diagnostic tools, they may have some non-intrusive ones/ Do not just RMA your drive to Sandisk you'll get a blank one back. - Contact a 3'd party data recovery firm, those usually run at $100 per Gig recovered, but might be minor.

Your SSD may have remapped enough dead flash segments and vomited, or could have been shorted out or etc.. But diagnosis and adjustment are typically costly. What is the cost of the footage on the device

Return to Cinematography