What's causing the green tint on the URSA monitor?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

What's causing the green tint on the URSA monitor?

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi folks. This might have been asked before but I'm not able to successfully search it here.
I have an URSA 4K and every time I look at the 10" screen it has a noticeable greenish tint over the image. I placed it side-by-side with a calibrated Canon C300 and the image is definitely greener. Why is this and how can I correct it? Thanks.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denis Kazlowski

Re: What's causing the green tint on the URSA monitor?

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Hi folks. This might have been asked before but I'm not able to successfully search it here.
I have an URSA 4K and every time I look at the 10" screen it has a noticeable greenish tint over the image. I placed it side-by-side with a calibrated Canon C300 and the image is definitely greener. Why is this and how can I correct it? Thanks.

The design of this camera. I think the demosaic is 'weird' to that display and obviously non tune-able. The way the camera sets brightness to it is 'weird' as well. I'm surprised the pitchforks did not come out from early and vocal users circa 2015 about this.

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 pm

The first Video Assist screens had a greenish tent also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 1:24 am

Anyway to adjust this?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denis Kazlowski

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Anyway to adjust this?

Not that I know of. Bueller? Bueller?

robertmanningjr

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Hi folks. This might have been asked before but I'm not able to successfully search it here.

I had this problem with mine and now I rarely have it. I will do some research, but off the top of my head, I never have the problem in daylight situations, but only with artificial lighting situations and usually at night. But I need to do some research because I may have just gotten "used" to the tint. I'll let you know.
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Ellory Yu

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 am

robertmanningjr wrote:

I had this problem with mine and now I rarely have it. I will do some research, but off the top of my head, I never have the problem in daylight situations, but only with artificial lighting situations and usually at night. But I need to do some research because I may have just gotten "used" to the tint. I'll let you know.

Your right Robert. It is prominent in artificial lighting, when I'm shooting in-doors. I've not notice it much during daylight. But I'd appreciate if you have some workaround. I look forward to any tips and thanks. I really like this URSA, it's form factor, and capabilities. It's been my workhorse for a while now.

Denis Kazlowski

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
robertmanningjr wrote:

Your right Robert. It is prominent in artificial lighting, when I'm shooting in-doors. I've not notice it much during daylight. But I'd appreciate if you have some workaround. I look forward to any tips and thanks. I really like this URSA, it's form factor, and capabilities. It's been my workhorse for a while now.

There is no work-around. Aside from the brightness software control for the 10" monitor there are no colorbars or calibration dials of any kind, tint, wb, contrast. In newer cameras you can load a LUT to correct/calibrate/create a look, this one nope. Are you on 2.6 Firmware for the Camera?

robertmanningjr

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
robertmanningjr wrote:

So I did a test, took photos, tried different lighting situations and I don't have a green tint (anymore). And I have no idea why. I know it was there before because I remember being disappointed, but it is definitely not there now. And since I took white balanced photos of the screen and compared it to my URSA Mini screen, I know it not me just getting used to it.

I know that's not much help.
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 am

Yes, I noticed this too with the VA screens, they start out a little on the greenish side, then it improves with use. Just like the magenta edge issue with some Ursa Minis.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Ha... So I should leave it on for a while then hoping it goes away.
Also, I am on the latest firmware for the big URSA.

Return to Cinematography