Davinci Resolve Studio on Threadripper issues?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Doug Marsh

Davinci Resolve Studio on Threadripper issues?

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 am

Anybody having issues with Threadripper (1950X) and Resolve (VERSION 14.1.1.005) .. installed/upgraded to it, it did "upgrade" the database as was running 14.0.1. Not sure if I should un-install and then try 14.0.1 and verify that works.

Got a new machine and attempted to do a quick "Hello World" of rendering. Open video, add to time line, basic color corrections, export etc.

The system seems fine up until I click "Start Render" and then it just hangs.

There are variables to iron out, new install on Ubuntu 17.10 with Gnome3 (which works better dual screen), 1080Ti (384.90) on an AMD TR 1950X.

If somebody else can confirm that AMD isn't an issue.

--Doug (dx9s)

Cary Knoop

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio on Threadripper issues?

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 5:27 am

I am running 14.1.1 with Threadripper 1950x and 1080ti on Windows without any problems.

My only "problem" is that almost anything is now GPU instead of CPU bound. :)

Doug Marsh

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Okay. I will assume it is some library change between 16.04 and 17.10.

Ubuntu 17.10 comes with a few more things installed by default (comes with gnome3, has nvenc [nvidia encoding libraries -- Resolve does not use], etc.) I was hoping not to reinstall and roll back to a known working OS install.

The only thing that isn't working is being able to render output to file (which is weird), perhaps a developer would want me to run some data-collection thing and submit that before it is too late (and discover what is causing rendering to file to not work).

--Doug (dx9s)

Doug Marsh

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm

OKAY .. FWIW I did the following:

1) unregistered my studio so I don't loose a license
2) backed up a few LUTs I created for my preview monitor then wiped /opt/resolve
3) installed free version of 14.1.1
4) skipped tour and did initial config
5) create project with quick color correct and then tried (and failed) to export to file -- however instead of hanging it quickly aborted / terminated the app
6) repeated resolve but from command line and saw it "core dump" when tried to render to file

THEN I went back to older version of free resolve 14.0.1 (wiping /opt/resolve in process), and now it is exporting the move to a file.

*SO* something in 14.1.1 causes a core dump with free version. Need to do some testing, as 14.0 is slower than I remember (rendering wise) but it could be because I am pulling an archived source file from spinning media instead of SSD and rendering output to same spinning drive.

14.0.1 works.. 14.1.1 core dumps (or hangs with studio version).

--Doug

Doug Marsh

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:02 pm

scratch that.

The comparison wasn't the same.. the 14.0.1 job wasn't using same codec.

It appears that 14.0.1 and 14.1.1 on this machine does not like DNxHD codec. Mind you the system has newer versions of various libraries (ffmpeg for one).

Not sure what DNxHD would rely on system wise. Any Resolve developer input would be helpful.

--Doug (dx9s)

Tero Ahlfors

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:18 pm

You won't get official support for an unsupported distro. There's the pinned Linux thread where you could ask.

Doug Marsh

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

I've narrowed it down to DHxHD not working on AMD Threadripper.

I went and did a full/fresh install from a known working OS (I've had this working fine on Intel with same exact software. 16.04 LTS and 14.0.1).

I am fairly sure if I install the "official" install, (CentOS) it will still have problems.

AND I am fairly sure I won't get any real support even if using their supported DVD install. BUT I will humor them.

--Doug (dx9s)

Doug Marsh

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Well the CentOS 7.3 (ISO from BMD) appears to too old. Has issues installing with the 3.10 kernel. Will try a few more things, but will give up on the official DVD iso image here shortly.

--Doug (dx9s)

Doug Marsh

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 am

FOR THE RECORD... the official CentOS 7.3 ISO install has same problem! (took a screen shot to show that I really did install CentOS )

I had to work "around" the fact that CentOS 7.3 is old and doesn't like newer video cards. So I pulled out my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti and put in an older GTX 650 so I can actually install the OS.

DNxHD has some compiler option (optimization?!) that makes it crash on AMD Threadripper CPUs

This is now an OFFICIAL request for the developers!!!

--Doug (dx9s)
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-12-04 19-47-04.png
CentOS on same machine with same problem
Screenshot from 2017-12-04 19-47-04.png (554.9 KiB) Viewed 2296 times

Cary Knoop

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Doug Marsh wrote:FOR THE RECORD... the official CentOS 7.3 ISO install has same problem! (took a screen shot to show that I really did install CentOS )

I had to work "around" the fact that CentOS 7.3 is old and doesn't like newer video cards. So I pulled out my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti and put in an older GTX 650 so I can actually install the OS.

DNxHD has some compiler option (optimization?!) that makes it crash on AMD Threadripper CPUs

This is now an OFFICIAL request for the developers!!!

Doug, I think you paint with a broad brush here.

I run Threadripper 1950x on Windows and DNxHD works fine on it.

There seems to be a problem on your platform but to claim that Threadripper does not work with DNxHD is simply not true.

Doug Marsh

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:Doug, I think you paint with a broad brush here.

If the issue is the title, I could have made it longer, but in so reading the posts -- it should become clear that this is not a Windows issue.

That said, the officially supported CentOS 7.3 (and unofficially support Ubuntu) have issues running the code that performs the DNxHD codec. Being a developer myself and risking going into details here, I would assume it to be a library that probably makes use of inline assembler or a GCC compiler option (i.e. optimization flag such as -O2 for those that have used GCC before) that doesn't work well on current AMD CPUs. But the GCC buildchain isn't common compiler/toolset used on Windows. Updating the GCC compiler and/or changing the optimization flags (disabling most/all) could prove that.

--Doug (dx9s)

Chip.Murphy

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Just use Cineform until the AMD Ryzen platform is officially supported on CentOS.

https://access.redhat.com/articles/65431

Or buy an officially supported SuperMicro system if you *HAVE* to use Linux.

Blackmagic makes no claim that their CentOS Image works on Ryzen.

Doug Marsh

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Chip.Murphy wrote:Just use Cineform until the AMD Ryzen platform is officially supported on CentOS.

https://access.redhat.com/articles/65431 [...]

Thanks the the list. Interesting how far behind RHEL (CentOS) is on CPU support. I have not found any such "qualified" list on BMD's website but was told that they (at least internally) maintain one.

Waiting for official support will be on the order of a few more years. CentOS 7.3 is already quite old (2015). 7.4 came out earlier this year, but still uses 3.10! (can always elrepo up to current 4.14 -- but the kernel doesn't fix DNxHD segfault issues).

--Doug (dx9s)

Return to DaVinci Resolve