I'm really out of the loop. Can someone catch me up?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Daryl Williams

I'm really out of the loop. Can someone catch me up?

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 6:58 pm

I have a BMCC. It looks like they've phased out of the BMCC models. Has the Pocket Camera taken their place? Would the studio camera work out in the world? My budget is $2k. When it comes time, and my trusty BMCC moves on, whats my best option?

I'm guessing there will be no more updates for BMCC? I really wanted 18fps and 3:4 aspect. Do any of the other cameras offer that?

I scrolled a few pages back and couldn't find answers to these particular questions. Thanks for any info.

Daryl

Xtreemtec

Re: I'm really out of the loop. Can someone catch me up?

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm

The pocket camera is also obsolete now. You might want to look at the Micro cinema camera. Or otherwise you are talking about a Ursa mini. While those will get phased out within a year i guess.. As the mini Pro is now the flagship model since February.

So i would not be suprised that in a year a new model comes to market and the older Ursa mini units are gone too.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denis Kazlowski

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 am

Daryl Williams wrote:I have a BMCC. It looks like they've phased out of the BMCC models. Has the Pocket Camera taken their place? Would the studio camera work out in the world? My budget is $2k. When it comes time, and my trusty BMCC moves on, whats my best option?

Daryl

None for now at $2000 for a current, supported and shipping camera that records in the box from BM. If you have good MFT glass - I'd look into a GH4-GH5. If on EF Glass. IDK - prob same suggestion + speedbooster or some such.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 am

Denis Kazlowski wrote: I'd look into a GH4-GH5

One thing to note if you're looking at the GH5 -- it has significantly less dynamic range than any of the BMD cinema cameras. If dynamic range AND 10 bit color are important to you at a price point below $2K, a used BMD pocket or original m43 (or EF) Cinema Camera are the best options. Both cameras can record 12 bit raw files or ProRes 422 log (which BMD calls "film" mode) with 13 stops of dynamic range. The GH5 maxes out around 11 stops, even in V-log.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jim Giberti

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The pocket camera is also obsolete now. You might want to look at the Micro cinema camera.

The term obsolete seems a bit misused here I think.
The Pocket and Micro produce some of the best color and DR you'll find in an HD camera and HD continues to be the standard for most delivery.

It's a pretty simple decision.
If you're looking for the best, affordable IQ, Color, DR and gradeable files, then it's - Pocket, Micro, BMCC

If you're looking for the most well developed, small, affordable "camera" to shoot with then a GH5 beats all three of them hands down.

Personally I've bought enough great "cameras" in the last few years because of their features and sold them all soon after because the image is more important than the camera to us. And honestly, it's so easy, with all of the options available today, to rig up a Micro to function like a great camera and get the optimum image, that it's become a no-brainer.

Timothy Cook

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 am

Xtreemtec wrote:The pocket camera is also obsolete now.

Yeah I don't think "obsolete" is the correct word to use here. lol

That's like saying the 1911 45ACP is obsolete. Over 100 years later, and also made with 100 year old technology, the 1911 is still preferred by maaaaaaaaaany professional shooters.

You can get a Glock with all it's modern technologies built in, or you can get a 1911 and it just shoots better.

106 years...........! Newer doesn't mean better
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 am

Xtreemtec wrote:The pocket camera is also obsolete now.

They still sell these new as advertised on the website. Older technology, but not obsolete.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am

Oke Obsolete is maybe a misused word. But remember they are off the BMD website.
So development stopped on those cameras. Support will stop 1 year after purchase.. But the chance that if you have an issue with the camera after 6 months and contacting BMD is that they will say they have no more parts / cameras on stock and you get a discount to buy a newer camera ;)

Also don't buy a 2nd hand.. As there is almost certain no waranty left, So if it breaks, it is your loss.. :roll:

So as long as you roll fine with it.. Go with it. But keep in mind that BMD has put these cameras in EOL (End Of Life) And as the Micro Cinema Camera has seem to taken it's place it is also not very likely that there will be a Pocket V2.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Oke Obsolete is maybe a misused word. But remember they are off the BMD website.
So development stopped on those cameras. Support will stop 1 year after purchase.. But the chance that if you have an issue with the camera after 6 months and contacting BMD is that they will say they have no more parts / cameras on stock and you get a discount to buy a newer camera ;)

I still see the PCC on BM's website: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

Do you know something they don't know?

John Richard

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Whether obsolete or not, think most would agree they are marvelous cameras to this day and into the future. We're still using the BMCC as a B cam to the UMP and every time I go to edit/grade in it's shots with the UMP I am amazed at it's results, DR, and beauty. Really innovative cam that still produces (and that internal SSD recorder!).

And nothing I can see beats the Pocket for results versus size and cost ... still. It is a great grab and keep in pocket for whatever spur of the moment shot you happen upon as well as setup shoots that require super fast tight locations.

Love both these beauties still to this day. Just ran the BMCC on a light weight manually operated jib this week on some training videos we're working on. Grades in with UMP cuts just fine.

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Oke Obsolete is maybe a misused word. But remember they are off the BMD website.

Mmm, they are not hiding it very well.

BM Camera Page Grab.jpeg
BM Camera Page Grab.jpeg (785.44 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denis Kazlowski

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 am

The OP ASKED - If my BMCC camera DIES, which one of the Black Magic Products can replace it - The OP budget is $2000. - Answer - NONE of the New Products.

Return to Cinematography