Has anyone received or seen the MFT version?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Bartman

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 am

Darryl Gregory

Re: Has anyone received or seen the MFT version?

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 9:49 am

bartman wrote:Has anyone received or seen the MFT version?

No, there is no such animal until May - June or July.

Randy Walters

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Doesn't John Brawley have one? He just tweeted about using an SLR Magic lens...

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/312790142928707584

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Randy Walters wrote:Doesn't John Brawley have one? He just tweeted about using an SLR Magic lens...

I believe he has had the prototype MFT since last September. John will slap me if I'm mistaken!

Does anyone know the speed of the lens he has mounted on the camera? I can't quite see it clearly on the photo posted.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm

John Brawley might be using a prototype, since he's been serving as BMD's guinea pig for this camera from the outset. Whether he has one or not doesn't really mean much one way or another as far the production schedule goes, but it will be interesting to find out what he thinks of the SLR Magic lenses -- especially since I'm thinking of getting one for my wide(ish) lens, specifically the 12mm.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Samjack

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 pm

James Tonkin in the UK used an MFT to film Robbie Williams at Selfridges last year. I believe he is on this forum.

Samjack

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Randy Walters wrote:Doesn't John Brawley have one? He just tweeted about using an SLR Magic lens...

Physically looks more like a finish production model to me with the logo and stuff rather than a prototype. Maybe just the firmware not yet finalised.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Samjack wrote:

Physically looks more like a finish production model to me with the logo and stuff rather than a prototype. Maybe just the firmware not yet finalised.

You may be right but it will be serial number 1.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm

rick.lang wrote:

I believe he has had the prototype MFT since last September. John will slap me if I'm mistaken!

Does anyone know the speed of the lens he has mounted on the camera? I can't quite see it clearly on the photo posted.

Rick Lang

Yup, it's the SLR Magic Hyperprime CINE 25mm T0.95

I just got mine in the mail, and I also have the 12mm T1.6. I've only been able to do a quick test on a GH2 from a rental house though, but they are ready and waiting for the MFT to come in!

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 4:24 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:Yup, it's the SLR Magic Hyperprime CINE 25mm T0.95

I just got mine in the mail, and I also have the 12mm T1.6. I've only been able to do a quick test on a GH2 from a rental house though, but they are ready and waiting for the MFT to come in!

Very good news about the SLR Magic 25mm ciné hyperprime, Jim! Looking forward to your thoughts on it. Are you planning on acquiring more SLR Magic ciné lenses as soon as they are available? That was my plan but now waiting to see how the new custom alternatives for the BMCC perform when they are released. I can wait until the stars align favourably before jumping into these purchases but hope it is later this year rather than 2014.

Speaking of delays, I was reading recently that the James Webb telescope (that replaces the Hubble telescope) which was intended to be launched by June 2013 has had a slight delay due to cost overruns. Now will launch in 2018. And we feel upset about the delays of the BMCC! Revolutions are never easy.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Jim DeLuca

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 am

rick.lang wrote:

Very good news about the SLR Magic 25mm ciné hyperprime, Jim! Looking forward to your thoughts on it. Are you planning on acquiring more SLR Magic ciné lenses as soon as they are available? That was my plan but now waiting to see how the new custom alternatives for the BMCC perform when they are released. I can wait until the stars align favourably before jumping into these purchases but hope it is later this year rather than 2014.

Speaking of delays, I was reading recently that the James Webb telescope (that replaces the Hubble telescope) which was intended to be launched by June 2013 has had a slight delay due to cost overruns. Now will launch in 2018. And we feel upset about the delays of the BMCC! Revolutions are never easy.

Rick Lang

Hey even the Hubble had a 'flange' issue when it first went up :> Unfortuantely I don't own a MFT camera yet while I wait for the BMCC so I was only able to do a very quick test to make sure everything was working well.

I love that the 25mm is geared for a follow focus, but the 12mm isn't. But the 12mm is a macro lens, so that's a plus. I do plan on getting maybe a longer lens in the future, but right now I'm happy with what I have.

Steve Lee Jean

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 5:24 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Hey even the Hubble had a 'flange' issue when it first went up :> Unfortuantely I don't own a MFT camera yet while I wait for the BMCC so I was only able to do a very quick test to make sure everything was working well.

I love that the 25mm is geared for a follow focus, but the 12mm isn't. But the 12mm is a macro lens, so that's a plus. I do plan on getting maybe a longer lens in the future, but right now I'm happy with what I have.

SLR Magic has their proprietary lens gear for the 12mm T1.6

You can contact them directly to get a hold of one. It'll take a little convincing for you to get them to send you one. Apparently there have been problems with people over tightening the gear and causing damage to actual lens.

Cheers
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Return to Cinematography