Ursa Mini Pro - No Tally on Front SDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Ursa Mini Pro - No Tally on Front SDI

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi,

maybe I'm not clever enough but I think this is again a missing feature:

I want the red rectangle Tally on the Front SDI Out of the Ursa Mini Pro. I set the Grid to on but no Tally indication. On the LCD Monitor I can see the red rectangle but not on the monitor connected to the Front SDI connector. Why? This connector is made for connecting control monitors - so why isn't it possible to see the Tally on that output???

Weird!!

Any clue?

Thanks

Robert

Denny Smith

Re: Ursa Mini Pro - No Tally on Front SDI

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Actually Robert, the dent SDI is an output is primarily for the BM EVF or other on Camera Monitor. But, I agree, it should show the Talley signal (red box), not sure if the BM EVF gets a special control signal fri this SDI to trigger a Talley signal on it, which a regular monitor might not detect correctly.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 pm

The front SDI output gets ANC data Tally ID 0. This tally ID is created for Tally indication on the BMD EVF's.

I wish that tally 0 would also be picked up by the VA's.. But probabbly they won't sell the EVF monitor anymore when the VA would have this functions.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks Daniel, I knew it was something like this, talley support only for the BM EVF
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Betzner

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Sorry - for me that is a missing feature. I get the tally information out of any BMD fiber camera converter with a standard 7inch monitor. This camera converter is built into the Ursa Mini pro as far as BMD told us. But that seems to be not true - because you get no tally rectangle on the front SDI output - even if you switch on grid. I can superimpose any other information from the Ursa on this output - but no tally.

That seems really silly to me and should be changed with the next firmware update.

+1 on adding the tally signaling on the VAs!

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 pm

The red rectangle is set on it by the BMD EVFs lcd. This is embedded data and not overlay video from the camera.. ;)

If they would do that they would allow everybody to use whatever monitor they have. But BMD wants to sell those nice EVF´s to you so they don´t do it in overlay mode but rather as Tally data in the SDI. So they will also be able to control the BIG tally led´s on the front side of those EVF´s. ;)

But it would not hurt to have it in the VA´s.. On the other hand.. If the VA´s can do it nobody will buy the big studio viewfinders anymore as those units costs as much as 4 VA´s.. :lol:

4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Betzner

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Daniel,

I know that it is an aux data of the SDI stream. But on the comera converter it is superimposed into the SDI (or HDMI) monitor signal.

That shouldn't be a problem on the Ursa either because all the other data IS superimposed on that output. Only the red rectangle is left out.

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

I feel your pain.. But what i said. If they put those red rectangles in.. You could use every cheap SDI monitor for this instead of those nice EVF's from bmd.. So they would kill there own revenue doing that.

Back in the day that they developed the Atem Camera converter.. They were not yet into the small monitor production so this was excellent to add the red border.. 8-)

The Atem Camera converter does both btw.. Red border but also ANC data Monitor tally ID 0.

But i wish they had also integrated the Green border and also implemented RED and Green border based on ANC data on the Dou view monitors. They have external tally input and make borders.. But not on SDI. :roll:

roger.suski

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Not sure about BMD killing their own revenue stream by enabling choice. For too long BMD didn't have "proper" accessories to complete their kit - so you had to add all of these medusa-type things to a rig to make it a complete, workable system. Now, they have the proper fit/finish accessories with mounts, controls and tools where an operator expects them to be....that the community has been beating the bushes for...and BMD is painted as not being "open and flexible" enough?

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Talley lights are a broadcast production tool, used originally in TV studios, to let the camera operator and tallest know the camera was “live”. Video Switcher triggered Talley lights normally require the camera studio monitor or EVF deipsigned for that camer system. If you used Sony cameras, yiu had to use a Sony EFV/Studio Monitor, same for Panasonic, etc. They were not normally interchangeable. You also need the CCU control box being used.

Features like a Talley light, are EVF/Monitor specific, and the info display is generated by the EVF/monitor, not the camera. The camera only passes the display commands being generated from the switcher (or in case of a camera recording on its own, the camera’s recording video processor sends the required Talley command), and the EVF/Monitor creates the display indication or turns on the front mounted light.

So it is not unrealistic that BM has made matching EFV/Studio Monitor’s that have the normal Studio camera functions like Talley, which are part of the EVF/Monitor function. Nothing new here, if you want a EVF or studio monitor features like Talley, you need to use the accessories designed for the specific camera being used, BM Ursa/Mini requires the BM EVF or Stuido Monitor. You wanted these functions, now you need to pay to get them. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production