What's a good on BMPCC audio solution for good B-roll sound?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JustinBrown

What's a good on BMPCC audio solution for good B-roll sound?

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I've looked at a lot of the different video mics/preamps, but nothing seems all that great...too tinny or too cumbersome is the trade off.

I'm going to be shooting documentary footage and just need something portable to feed the camera decent audio.

Is it even possible?

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

Re: What's a good on BMPCC audio solution for good B-roll so

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 pm

You could try using a Rhode VideoMic Pro (it has a small built in preamp, set it to high) with the Pocket camera direct. It should give good enough audio for lockstiin sounds and some interview work, or to use as a scratch track to sync with an external recorder. Unfortunately, the Pocket camera’s audiomis not great, as the mic pepreamps are somewhat noisy.

I had good success using a good mic preamp, like the Sound Devices MixPre D, (they made a small single channel preamp that worked well also) which has a stereo 1/8 line out to feed the Pocket Camers the correct line level signal (set Pocket to line level, 50-75 percent level). This way you get as good an audio recording as yiu would get from the less expensive Zoom-type type audio recorders.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JustinBrown

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You could try using a Rhode BideoMic Pro (it has a small built in preamp, set it to high) with the Pocket camera direct. It should give good enough audio for lockstiin sounds and some interview work, or to use as a scratch track to sync with an external recorder. Unfortunately, the Pocket camera’s audiomis not great, as the mic pepreamps are somewhat noisy.

I had good success using a good mic preamp, like the Sound Devices MixPre D, (they made a small single channel preamp that worked well also) which has a stereo 1/8 line out to feed the Pocket Camers the correct line level signal (set Pocket to line level, 50-75 percent level). This way you get as good an audio recording as yiu would get from the less expensive Zoom-type type audio recorders.
Cheers

Thanks Denny. I will look up that device!

Lee Gauthier

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am

I think he meant the Rode VideoMic Pro.

Andrew Martin

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:I think he meant the Rode VideoMic Pro.

Had Justin not worked that out himself. Im sure Mr Google would of. ✔ ;-)
A.

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Yes, yes I did, corrected my bad typing job. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started