Assistance with Compatible Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Assistance with Compatible Lenses

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 12:20 am

Hi Guys,

I wrote an extended version of this post but I don't think it was approved by the mods and as such has dissapeared so I'll get to the point.

Basically, will the:

-Samyang 14mm T3.1 VDSLR II EF
-Rokinon 21mm T1.5 Compact High-Speed Cine Lens EF-M
-Samyang 35mm T1.5 AS UMC VDSLR II EF
-Samyang 85mm T1.5 VDSLR II Lens EF

be compatible with the URSA Mini Pro? I'm mainly worried about the Rokinon EF-"M" vs EF and what exactly all the letters such as "AS" "UMC" and "VDSLR" mean and if they will have any negative affects when used with the mini pro such as vignetting etc.

It would be great if this post could be approved by a moderator as I have recently PURCHASED a Mini Pro from YOUR COMPANY and would like some reassurance as this is a major deal for me. Everyone on this board seems really cool and I would love to hear what they have to say.

Denis Kazlowski

Re: Assistance with Compatible Lenses

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

James McDonagh wrote:Hi Guys,

I wrote an extended version of this post but I don't think it was approved by the mods and as such has dissapeared so I'll get to the point.

Basically, will the:

-Samyang 14mm T3.1 VDSLR II EF
-Rokinon 21mm T1.5 Compact High-Speed Cine Lens EF-M
-Samyang 35mm T1.5 AS UMC VDSLR II EF
-Samyang 85mm T1.5 VDSLR II Lens EF

be compatible with the URSA Mini Pro? I'm mainly worried about the Rokinon EF-"M" vs EF and what exactly all the letters such as "AS" "UMC" and "VDSLR" mean and if they will have any negative affects when used with the mini pro such as vignetting etc.

It would be great if this post could be approved by a moderator as I have recently PURCHASED a Mini Pro from YOUR COMPANY and would like some reassurance as this is a major deal for me. Everyone on this board seems really cool and I would love to hear what they have to say.

None of the EF-M lenses would be compatible EF-M is a mirror-less mount with a very small back focus distance compared to EF. So even adapting them to EF would lead to no infinity focus - EF lenses should be OK. Lenses above also come in two or three versions and certain focal lengths of certain types may not be able to cover the 4.6k sensor size completely 24mm EF-S only for example - creating vignetting. So read the fine print on each one.

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm

I sent you private mail on this previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mattias Kristiansson

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

All EF mount lenses will fit. EF-M won't.

The 21mm/T1.5 is only available in EF-M, so it won't work. The 20mm/T1.9 is available in EF, that might be an option.

The 14mm/T3.1 is available in EF, and will work, but the 16mm/T2.2 might be a better choice. OK, it's 2 mm longer, but anyway... The fact that the 16mm/T2.2 doesn't cover a full frame sensor is no problem, it covers the Ursa Mini sensor just fine and the extra T-stop is nice to have.

I have the 16, 24, 35, 50 and 85mm, and I'm tempted by the 20 and 135 also. (I love having more gear than I actually need) The 24 is a bit soft wide open, but otherwise they're an excellent set of lenses. That being said, if you don't already own the excellent Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8, it would be my first priority in that focal length range.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 am

Mattias is correct about the 16mm T2.2 as it has an image circle of 31mm as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

User1234

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 7:14 am

Hi,
The Mount of a black Magic ursa Mini Pro was changed from B4 Back to EF.
When im now applying a EF lens to the camera the stabiliser of the Lens is Spinning, Not working correctly.
Lens seems to be ok, it is working with Other cameras.
When i Switch of the stabiliser of the Lens the Lens is working properly with the ursa.
Does anybody know what the problem could be?

Return to Cinematography