CFast media or SSD media for max frame rates & resolutions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Helenek

CFast media or SSD media for max frame rates & resolutions

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Hello all,

I'm hoping that a representative from Blackmagic might be able to answer my question, but information from anyone would be appreciated. Assuming I am using media that is on Blackmagic's recommended lists, does using CFast media internally allow for the highest capture frame rates & resolutions, or does using SSD media with the Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder allow for the highest capture frame rates & resolutions? This question is with regard to the URSA Mini Pro 4.6k camera.

Thank you for any information you may have.

Michael

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: CFast media or SSD media for max frame rates & resolutio

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 pm

You can read here what formats are accepted to with the SSD recorder.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 pm

The sweet spot for CFast cards in terms of maximum sustained data rates are the 256GB cards that are on our recommended RAW list. Most of them will be able to sustain just above 40 frames per second in 4.6K Lossless RAW indefinitely... we list them as 30 in our recommended list because that is the highest project frame rate they can sustain to a single card in Lossless RAW.

Most will hit and hold 40 frames permanently in 4.6K Lossless RAW and will go higher if you are happy with bursts. Some of the faster SSD's on our list like the Samsung 850 Pro will get you similar frame rates.

Michael Helenek

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you Tim, Tony.

On the CFast 2.0 list, your chosen benchmark is 2160p ProRes 422HQ up to 60fps which according the the UMP tech specs has a storage rate of 220MB/s. (110MB/s for 30fps x 2 = 220MB/s).

Since the storage rate for 444 at 30fps is 165MB/s, can I then conclude that all these recommended cards can record sustained 2160p 444 at 30fps as well?

Another words, can I use the data rate as the testing benchmark?

Thank you.

Michael

Return to Cinematography