Ursa Mini Pro QC issues?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JacobSchuhle

Ursa Mini Pro QC issues?

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 am

Of the three Ursa Mini Pro owners I know, all three have had to have their cameras replaced due to issues (myself included). It makes me feel really conflicted to be honest, as up to now I've been a real champion of BMD (and I still love the URSA picture).

I know three cameras is just an anecdote, but Is this just really bad luck statistically, or is there a real issue here?

Wayne Steven

Re: Ursa Mini Pro QC issues?

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 am

What were the issues?
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 am

Check out this recent interview with Grant where he mentions greater challenges getting parts from suppliers for their cameras compared with their post production equipment:

https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-with ... -industry/

I've had QC issues with all of BMD my cameras as well. The flip side is that given time, BMD has always fixed it one way or another. So, if you're in a hurry, you should definitely make a different choice. If you've got time, then it'll save you $40K versus getting an Alexa Mini :D
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Wayne Steven

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 pm

It's after midnight and am in bed, but I've got to check this out lol! I've heard of some issues that were not even BM's fault. Personally I think I would be doing anti trust litigation. BM has been perfectly capable of delivering better to us at a cheaper price than people have had to pay. Below, you will see another big reason for pricing. I am peeved that we have not got better and cheaper, but replacing a camera with a brand new one is an expensive process that can eat profit, as well as dealing with unreliable parts. It's not BM's fault if it's not BM's fault. I know I avoid sucky statements, but I give them a break on the price thing in the face of this sort of thing. Low prices product, depends not only on low cost parts and design, but in very low fault rate.

I have waited for years for them to release a camera that suited my needs at the time, but every time there has been some compromise. The first camera want 4k (sort of useful resolution as I would like to use it during stills). The pocket wasn't fullhd p50, or 4k (the micro studio sort of sensor was out there at the time, and offering 4k with 14 stops lattitude and higher resolution). The fullhd micro had p50/60 but didn't have a screen. The studio micro didn't record or have a screen and was limited and latitude was less than 14 stops. The mini is a little beast, but again some limitations and price, and the low light noise floor was not so useful for another real life situation. Now, the aim is for 4kp50 visually lossless codec 4:2:2 maybe 4:2:0, at least (with raw better), 12 bits+, 16 stops plus, preferably 16.5 stops+, and I don't care if it involves a little reasonable HDR. Rec2020 support, and good low light. That special makes a camera that suites many real world situations, which you would like to keep. I'm talking pocket here. Basically, I suspect the larger format Sony sensors to be capable of this (though the 4/3rds sensor specs I have seen, seem to be aimed at lower frame rates).

Now, Red seems to have missed an opportunity with the hydrogen. I hear that it has been said the base phone won't be cinema quality (probably compared to a new scarlet etc) and the basic phone does seem to even havens four lens medium format spacing setup. So, you might have to pay for the modules, that might not be cheap enough compared to a mini 4k. It might be Apple that releases a 4 lens larger format spacing model next. I've touched the iPhone X, and apart from that camera app, I liked it. Wasn't as big as I thought. If only it was $400-$500, it would seem good value.

I've been thinking up a few camera designs. I think there is good use for a pocket gimbal camera using a multi lens module, and phone processor. There is no real reason not to program the processor to take in a picture and compress I ProRes or raw, through coy and you. Even cineform open source or raw vc5 licensed. It is something that does not have to be fancy in the gimbal, but could be the size of an old hybrid pistol grip pocket camera, and replaces them. As a 2k or 4k camera, it would be an asset to have. I feel like putting a team together myself to do it. I've just come up with a new way to do a pocket gimbal for a phone recently too.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

JacobSchuhle

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Mine had an issue with light bleed on the lcd (and now flickers occasionally). Of the others, one just died dead on set, the other had a black line down the sensor after the 2nd day of use!

Return to Cinematography