Cineform support for Ursa

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Oli Koos

Cineform support for Ursa

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am

Hi folks,
I would like to add the feature request for the URSA to support cineform codecs like cineform raw. Cineform is now open source and a standard, it seams superior to dnxhd and prores and the raw could be compressed even further than the current 4:1 which makes Cfast use much more manageable.

roger.magnusson

Re: Cineform support for Ursa

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Apparently raw isn't license free though: http://cineform.blogspot.com/2017/10/ci ... 6256120171

Oli Koos

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Oh...ok I see but 20$ license fee for the raw codec is I thibk more than reasonable. :-)

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Oli Koos wrote:Oh...ok I see but 20$ license fee for the raw codec is I thibk more than reasonable. :-)

Ya, but I think it is enough for BMD to not do it.. Thats why they have ProRes and DNG support today. It is free and wont suddenly jump up in price.. Also. BMD likes to be open source friendly.

Oli Koos

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Well one thing is the cineform raw, the other one is cineform none raw codecs which are compared to dnxhd and prores open source.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:Ya, but I think it is enough for BMD to not do it.. Thats why they have ProRes and DNG support today. It is free and wont suddenly jump up in price.. Also. BMD likes to be open source friendly.

BMD isn't open source friendly, it's open standards friendly. The difference is that BMD's products are easy to integrate into most pipelines because they work well with the same standards that the rest of the industry works with (unlike, say, Adobe). That makes Resolve very open pipeline wise, but that's a very different from being open source, which is where the source code itself is available as is now the case with Cineform.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Alex Primes

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm

...or you can get the best of all worlds and use RAW 4 PRO to convert URSA's DNG sequences to either CineformRAW, or ProRes, or DNxHD, or H264 - depending on your goals.

I'm the developer of RAW 4 PRO, it has been a workhorse of many people in the RAW video field for a couple years now, has a solid 5-star rating.

Although R4P EASY is normally selling for $110, I'm now offering it to BlackMagic Forum readers for just $29. Use code bm81off and get $81 off. (Offers ends at any moment without prior notice, sorry.)

Free trial also available at http://XactCopi.com
DataBoss.me
the easiest way to backup, then find any of your data at any time.

Steve Holmlund

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Alex Primes wrote:...or you can get the best of all worlds and use RAW 4 PRO to convert URSA's DNG sequences to either CineformRAW, or ProRes, or DNxHD, or H264 - depending on your goals.

I'm the developer of RAW 4 PRO, it has been a workhorse of many people in the RAW video field for a couple years now, has a solid 5-star rating.

Although R4P EASY is normally selling for $110, I'm now offering it to BlackMagic Forum readers for just $29. Use code bm81off and get $81 off. (Offers ends at any moment without prior notice, sorry.)

Free trial also available at http://XactCopi.com

Alex,
Thanks for the discount code. I thought I'd give it a try. However, when I unzipped the download, my Norton anti-virus deleted the .exe file with a WS.Reputation.1 high-risk warning. I'm thinking this is because it has not see your program very often. Any advice?

It appears there is a way for you to "white-list" your product with Symantec/Norton: https://www.symantec.com/security_respo ... 99&tabid=3

Sorry, in this day and age you can't be too careful.

Cheers.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Alex Primes

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 pm

You are absolutely correct, can't be too careful, ever.

I personally have both Antivirus and Anti-malware simultaneously running on our production and personal machines at all times.

Regarding our file: yes, it's clean, we even received a "100% clean" badge from Softpedia.

But don't just trust my word on this: please use independent verification! Here's an article in our Knowledge Base that explains how to do so for free.

Thanks again for your interest in RAW 4 PRO!
DataBoss.me

Denis Kazlowski

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:BMD isn't open source friendly, it's open standards friendly. The difference is that BMD's products are easy to integrate into most pipelines because they work well with the same standards that the rest of the industry works with (unlike, say, Adobe). That makes Resolve very open pipeline wise, but that's a very different from being open source, which is where the source code itself is available as is now the case with Cineform.

Perfect statement, though they do like integrating open-source in their products, like running Resolve on Linux and the like, just depends on BSD vs. GPL licensing. I think they'd go with the least restrictive one where re-publishing the source is not mandatory.

Dennis Sørensen

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Dennis Sørensen wrote:Ya, but I think it is enough for BMD to not do it.. Thats why they have ProRes and DNG support today. It is free and wont suddenly jump up in price.. Also. BMD likes to be open source friendly.

BMD isn't open source friendly, it's open standards friendly. The difference is that BMD's products are easy to integrate into most pipelines because they work well with the same standards that the rest of the industry works with (unlike, say, Adobe). That makes Resolve very open pipeline wise, but that's a very different from being open source, which is where the source code itself is available as is now the case with Cineform.

Sorry. Of cause not open-source - it is just sematic in my head because that is what I meant.. English is not my first language, so I apologize.

Alex Primes

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:when I unzipped the download, my Norton anti-virus deleted the .exe file with a WS.Reputation.1 high-risk warning. I'm thinking this is because it has not see your program very often. Any advice?

Good news today as I uploaded our program to Norton's white-list for verification and Symantec confirmed it's clean. They said their LiveUpdate across all Symantec products will stop badgering folks who downloaded RAW 4 PRO Easy (Unlimited) in 24hrs from now.

Kindly update your Symantec antivirus software then.

Also, our special discount is ending :( Please let people who might be interested know that our discount code for BM users bm81off will stop working shortly. The code bm81off allows you to get our 5-star, reliable software RAW 4 PRO for just $29 instead of the normal $125 or already-discounted $110.
Last edited by Alex Primes on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DataBoss.me

Wayne Steven

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:
Oli Koos wrote:Oh...ok I see but 20$ license fee for the raw codec is I thibk more than reasonable. :-)

Ya, but I think it is enough for BMD to not do it.. Thats why they have ProRes and DNG support today. It is free and wont suddenly jump up in price.. Also. BMD likes to be open source friendly.

The licensed is through the vc5 standard, or whatever it's called. But if they could negotiate $20 per user camera upgrade, and $20 per new camera, they could do it that way. It means that it costs them less to upgrade existing users, who are paying themselves. Say, $40-50AU and they start covering the fpga design.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Denis Kazlowski

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Dennis Sørensen wrote:

The licensed is through the vc5 standard, or whatever it's called. But if they could negotiate $20 per user camera upgrade, and $20 per new camera, they could do it that way. It means that it costs them less to upgrade existing users, who are paying themselves. Say, $40-50AU and they start covering the fpga design.

I've participated in licensing of codecs, encoders, decoders and other things of this kind before, they are not packaged like this. It's stupid amounts of money up-front. The SMPTE standard will give you a reference guide of what the codec should and should not do, it may also include some sample C code. Then you'd have to deal with the vendor which implemented a fast/speedy encoding, on Chip, CPU or GPU for platform. Then with the theoretical units that would be running vendors code plus any other sublicense costs of the vendors implementation to yet another party. It's a nightmare of Intellectual Property shenanigans. For references see H.264 vs X.264, Motion JPG, MPEG-2-TS live encoding, Fraunhoffer MP3 vs. Everybody elses MP3 and while LAME encoder is called this, JPEG 2000 DCI encoders/players and their prices.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Too true Dennis, but I'm just talking about the way things should be. BM can buy in, and charge to recover.

Cineform will already have the code, and likely the ASIC cells (as GoPro uses it). They put this standard through. I have pushed for the use of their raw spec as part of a more elaborate visually lossless consumer media format (maybe Redray is this). As the raw saves space and debayering can be deterministic. Add, some inter frame compression and you have a high compression rate for visually lossless. But cinform had been taylored for non-ASIC hardware, so probably is a good target for using a top end phone chip at 4k. Somebody should approach GoPro about doing a pro camera based on cineform technology. BM could do this. It means that the gopro franchise can point to a bigger non action camera range the people to use to film the action externally, while GoPro offers the lowest end model in action camera form etc.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:

I'm not sure that prores is free of charge, i think that BMD payed it to apple, never apple did a gift like that, or every recorder and cameras would record in prores.
Anyway, like panasonic ask 100$ to add log to their gh4 / gh5, i will pay 100$ to add cineform raw to my ursa if is possible, BMD can add in firmware and unlock by code.
I use from many years cf raw, i know the good and the bad of that codec, and i often used it to convert (thanks to great Raw4Pro from alex prime) BMD dng to CFraw to edit easely it and work like a charm with Full commercial workflow of cineform.
Today only cineform raw is not enought, we need also that Resolve could decode and edit like raw files like Redcode.
If someone want it, can unlock, if no one want, no problem not buy it...
but... remember that prores have counted days...
why i told you that?
today CC2018 when I output Prores under Mac advise me that Adobe is going to remove quicktime support from their products, and suggest to use different container to keep compatibility for the future...
To me is a great signal that future could change faster, and a Broadcast safe / multi standard / raw compatible / scalable / Opensource codec like cineform is a good future form.

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:today CC2018 when I output Prores under Mac advise me that Adobe is going to remove quicktime support from their products

I think there's been a miscommunication there. Adobe have made it so that they support ProRes (and other .mov wrapped codecs) natively without requiring users to have old 32bit Quicktime code installed on their machines. ProRes will continue to work in CC2018 and beyond.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:today CC2018 when I output Prores under Mac advise me that Adobe is going to remove quicktime support from their products

I think there's been a miscommunication there. Adobe have made it so that they support ProRes (and other .mov wrapped codecs) natively without requiring users to have old 32bit Quicktime code installed on their machines. ProRes will continue to work in CC2018 and beyond.

Hi Jamie,
i aware about it, but i talk about a message that appair when you output a prores from Premiere that advise you about the end of qt32bit, but suggest you to transcode it to a different format to use in future.
to me is not a good advise, qt32 is not necessary under mac, be cause from many years exist only qtX which is a 64bit application. If all codec (like adobe told us) are embedded, we not need to know this info and we not transcode it to read in future...

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 12:19 am

I agree, the notification makes zero sense unless it is simply there to warn people still using older 32 bit OS and CPU. I can't imagine that's very many people at this point, but who knows?
www.cinedocs.com

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I agree, the notification makes zero sense unless it is simply there to warn people still using older 32 bit OS and CPU. I can't imagine that's very many people at this point, but who knows?

i agree with your theory, but ... this happen on a 64bit software that can be installed only on a 64bit os, on a MacOsX with a QT64bit. i greatly hope to be wrong, but it seems a different signal.
Anyway Adobe did in past a lots of nonsense action, i hope this is like in past. ;)

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

See the official posts by Adobe on their forum. It should clear things up for you. The warning you’re getting is overzealous.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2396734
www.cinedocs.com

David Peddicord

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Alex Primes wrote:Free trial also available at http://XactCopi.com

This link doesn't work.

Alex Primes

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 pm

David Peddicord wrote:
Alex Primes wrote:Free trial also available at http://XactCopi.com

This link doesn't work.

Apologies, our site is (embarrassingly) down since our host hasn't finished mapping our domain name to their servers since yesterday.

We are left in the wind to wait till they finish their job, sorry.

None of our existing customers are affected by the outage, btw. All purchased software works independently from this website.

I will immediately post here when our site is back up and running (hopefully Monday), so the demo will be once again available to the new users.
DataBoss.me

Wayne Steven

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Alex, I'm interested in your copy software. Most copy software is prone to copy errors, where the verification is fine by bit sum, or bit to bit, on buffered or cache data that hasn't been updated or reflected on the drive yet. The issue was windows, system or drive not diung the flush properly. Normally not much of a concern except that people are copying their whole footage library year by year to new drives this way, bound to pickup some corruption. I did a lot of looking around for solutions, only to find a complicated command tool years ago. Does your software handle this?

Another good feature would be backup with data encoded recovery features, incase of corruption or head crash.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Somebody could make cineform into a encoder for Android or iOS phones using the GPU, or action camera.

Alex Primes

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Alex, I'm interested in your copy software. Most copy software is prone to copy errors, where the verification is fine by bit sum, or bit to bit, on buffered or cache data that hasn't been updated or reflected on the drive yet. The issue was windows, system or drive not diung the flush properly. Normally not much of a concern except that people are copying their whole footage library year by year to new drives this way, bound to pickup some corruption. I did a lot of looking around for solutions, only to find a complicated command tool years ago. Does your software handle this?

Another good feature would be backup with data encoded recovery features, incase of corruption or head crash.

We currently have two different software offerings, one is RAW 4 PRO and another Data Boss (formerly Xact Copi.)

Are you referring to Data Boss?
DataBoss.me

Oli Koos

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Alex Primes wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:when I unzipped the download, my Norton anti-virus deleted the .exe file with a WS.Reputation.1 high-risk warning. I'm thinking this is because it has not see your program very often. Any advice?

Good news today as I uploaded our program to Norton's white-list for verification and Symantec confirmed it's clean. They said their LiveUpdate across all Symantec products will stop badgering folks who downloaded RAW 4 PRO Easy (Unlimited) in 24hrs from now.

Kindly update your Symantec antivirus software then.

Also, our special discount is ending :( Please let people who might be interested know that our discount code for BM users bm81off will stop working shortly. The code bm81off allows you to get our 5-star, reliable software RAW 4 PRO for just $29 instead of the normal $125 or already-discounted $110.

You are hijacking the treat! I'm not sure if you can advertise for anything that is not black magic related on this bord anyways.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah, it's in all the Cineform threads. Please use the announcements section instead: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6

Wayne Steven

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 am

Alex, yes. You can PM me replies.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 am

Just a thought. As confirm is designed to be much lighter processing than Jp2k based wavelet codecs (as the original Red one was). It might be possible to get the pocket cinema camera to process fhdp50?

Wayne Steven

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:31 am

Can only find one other cineform thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67211

Oli Koos

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Can Resolve Studio (re-)compress CinemaDNG to CineformRaw or does Resolve not support CineformRaw encoding?

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Oli Koos wrote:Can Resolve Studio (re-)compress CinemaDNG to CineformRaw or does Resolve not support CineformRaw encoding?

to my knowledge only goprostudio (and previous) contain library to encode cineformraw, raw4pro from alex do this be cause ask to install cineform and optimize the precess, do that goprostudio not do, sinc audio, add timecode and more

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm

The latest 3.0 beta of the VLC player supports Cineform decoding now.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Alex Primes

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:The latest 3.0 beta of the VLC player supports Cineform decoding now.

Where do I find it? Both my installed VLC and their website insist that 2.2.8 is the latest version, and it does not play Cineform video, unfortunately.
DataBoss.me

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Alex Primes wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:The latest 3.0 beta of the VLC player supports Cineform decoding now.

Where do I find it? Both my installed VLC and their website insist that 2.2.8 is the latest version, and it does not play Cineform video, unfortunately.

Their website only shows final releases.
You can get the latest beta release here:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0101-0505/

Other OS:
http://nightlies.videolan.org

There is also a version 4 of VLC, but don't use that, it is in a preliminary stage and won't be ready before summer 2018.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm

great news finally!!!
thanks Robert :-D

Alex Primes

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm

In fairness, small and fast MPC (Media Player Classic) can be used to view Cineform/RAW files just fine.

But of course VLC is a heavy hitter and a favorite of many, including yours truly :)
DataBoss.me

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 11:28 pm

I am using the MPC-HC myself as my main media player, but it needs an installed Cineform codec, otherwise it will show nothing. The interesting thing now is that VLC will be able to use its internal implementation of Cineform.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Alex Primes

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Just a quick note, RAW 4 PRO will no longer be offered in just a few days. Blackout date: Jan 25th 2018.
But R4P Easy users who purchased their licenses up to that date will be fine - the EASY version will work indefinitely.

If you'd like to get one while still available, I'm offering a 55% off discount to the readers of this forum till Jan 20th. Just click here, then enter promo code: bmr55

Thank you for reading.
DataBoss.me

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

There is also CineForm plugin for VLC http://www.kolor.com/cineform-vlc-plugin/
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Alex Primes

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:There is also CineForm plugin for VLC http://www.kolor.com/cineform-vlc-plugin/

That page says "It will allow you to watch CineForm encoded videos"

As Robert already kindly linked above, the beta version of VLC actually seems to be able to do that without a plug-in.

All those are decoders for playback, not for encoding.

RAW 4 PRO, however, comes with the proprietary Cineform-supplied encoder that outputs both in CineformRAW (virtually any resolution, I personally tried up to about 8K) or CineformHD, depending on whether the input is raw (DNG) or debayered (JPG).
DataBoss.me

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Alex Primes wrote:
Dmitry Shijan wrote:There is also CineForm plugin for VLC http://www.kolor.com/cineform-vlc-plugin/

As Robert already kindly linked above, the beta version of VLC actually seems to be able to do that without a plug-in.

RAW 4 PRO, however, comes with the proprietary Cineform-supplied encoder that outputs both in CineformRAW (virtually any resolution, I personally tried up to about 8K) or CineformHD, depending on whether the input is raw (DNG) or debayered (JPG).

Windows only?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Alex Primes

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 am

Tristan Pemberton wrote:Windows only?

Yes. I'm sorry I can't program for iOS yet.

Of course, RAW 4 PRO will function perfectly under Win emulators on Mac - tested with VMware Fusion, works great.
DataBoss.me

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Alex Primes wrote:

I downloaded VLC beta 3 for Mac and it can not playback Cineform files.
Next i installed CineForm plugin for VLC and it was able to playback Cineform files. I also found Cineform playback quality tab in the settings.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Return to Cinematography