Gallery Stills Quesiton

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chuck Brown

Gallery Stills Quesiton

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm doing a series that has 4 groups of interview done at different times. As an example, one group was shot 4 separate times with an attempt to keep the same look. Is there a way to group shots or reorder them in the gallery? I would prefer to have one "Interview" folder. Possible?

PeterMoretti

Re: Gallery Stills Quesiton

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 am

You create stills folders by right clicking and choosing Add Still Album. And you can drag stills from one album to another.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 am

I'm assuming this is more a question of how you can keep looks consistent across a number of identical interview subjects. You could sort all the clips in "C" mode, which will put them in timecode and camera order. In many cases, that means all similar shots done around the same time will automatically be grouped together.

If the clips don't have time-of-day timecode, or if you're working on a single flattened piece of media, then you could manually type in keywords or some other identifier and then do a custom sort based on that specific metadata.

What I do in this situation is: I assign each interview subject to a specific memory keypad, so whenever I see (say) Mr. Smith, I hit Memory A, which is his correction; Miss Jones gets Memory B, Mr. Johnson gets Memory C, and so on. You'd be surprised how fast you can go with this method. The Lightbox is also useful for this, locating dozens of similar (or identical) shots at a glance.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Chuck Brown

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 pm

My apologies on not being clear. This is more of a question on sorting I guess. Timecode is time of day but the shoots are weeks apart with different talent. I will look further into sorting in "C" mode (throw back to liner days with that comment. :-)) and I admittedly do not use the memory keys nearly as much as the stills I grab to the gallery.

To use your example: I have a setting for Mr. Smith and grab a still. 2 or 3 other folks are shot at the same time in the same setting so I grab them as well. Then I have Ms Jones and others in a different setting so I grab them, and so on. After a few of these situations I have @12 settings from 3 locations for the day. As I start applying them they start to look drastically different and I come to realize that there were pick-up shoots involved. Nothing odd with that, happens all the time. Thanks for the heads up. Well, on some of these interviews there were FOUR OR MORE pick-up shoots. My gallery is starting to get filled up now and finding the exact adjusted setting to match clips is getting crazy as a single interview is sprayed all over the gallery now.

I think, for me, it comes down to the inability (I think) to sub-folder the gallery. I don't what to have 5 folders for interviews from each group. But I would be happy with these 5 folders inside of an Interview folder. Personal preference I guess.

In the absence of being able to do that, I was hoping for a way to simply label and sort the stills with-in the folder to only see one group at a time. Or at least get them next to each other so they were easy to find. Hope that makes since.

Sorry for the drown out question. It's my MO. ;-)

Dermot Shane

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 7:46 pm

yea, loads of folders in the gallery... and labeling the stills

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 8:23 am

Chuck Brown wrote:Well, on some of these interviews there were FOUR OR MORE pick-up shoots. My gallery is starting to get filled up now and finding the exact adjusted setting to match clips is getting crazy as a single interview is sprayed all over the gallery now.

I've done hundreds of documentaries and interview shows over the last 30 years, more than I can count. I think this is more of a philosophical/organizational issue than anything else.

My take is, if you had an interview with Mr. A at 5 minutes into the show, and then you came back to him 20 minutes later, nobody is going to give a crap if it doesn't exactly match the way he looked then. What is important (to me) is that the interview shot looks right in context, with the shots before and after it. I'm anal to a point, but not so anal that I'm going to be precisely matching shots like this pixel-for-pixel. I will grab stills and will at least get them in the ballpark, but beyond that, it's just a case of the show looking good overall. Your perception of how the interview shots will be altered -- sometimes drastically -- by what comes before it.

As Dermot says above: you could theoretically have one still folder for each interview subject, then go through, filter timelines so that just those shots appear back-to-back, and make them all match through metadata. I think it's kinda overkill, but it is possible to do. Even if you grab the stills at different times, you can drag them to new folders whenever you want to.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve