Livestudio Setup with 4 Cameras

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MartinNoweck

Livestudio Setup with 4 Cameras

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello everybody,

I am thinking about using a 4-Camera Setup for liveproduction - black magic all the way:

1x URSA Mini 4k (EF)
2x Studio Cam 4K (ipads with Lens Mount) ;-)
1x Micro Studio Camera 4K

and I have some questions:
- would these cameras match or should i stick to the same model only?
- do I need the ATEM Talkback Converter 4K?
or
- can I connect the cameras directly to the ATEM HD PRO Videoswitcher via SDI and use CCU Control / Intercom build into the Switcher / Mixer?

- is there something like the ATEM HD PRO Videoswitcher in UHD?
- is there any Blackmagic Videoswitcher with USB3 Connectivity and the Option to Record the Switched Output to a Computer (instead of using a capture device like Ultrastudio SDI or Decklink?)?

best wishes and kind regards,
Martin

Jack Fairley

Re: Livestudio Setup with 4 Cameras

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

MartinNoweck wrote:Hello everybody,

I am thinking about using a 4-Camera Setup for liveproduction - black magic all the way:

1x URSA Mini 4k (EF)
2x Studio Cam 4K (ipads with Lens Mount) ;-)
1x Micro Studio Camera 4K

Ursa Mini has a couple frames of delay on the SDI output that the studio cameras do not, which can be a problem for lip sync. Depending on your set, the studio cameras can be somewhat light hungry.
- would these cameras match or should i stick to the same model only?

I prefer using the same camera models unless there is a compelling reason to add something else.
- is there something like the ATEM HD PRO Videoswitcher in UHD?

The ATEM switchers with UHD support use a separate hardware panel.
- is there any Blackmagic Videoswitcher with USB3 Connectivity and the Option to Record the Switched Output to a Computer (instead of using a capture device like Ultrastudio SDI or Decklink?)?

No, none of the current generation switchers have USB output. If you want to record a line cut I would just add a HyperDeck.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

MartinNoweck

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi Jack,
thanks for your quick reply.

What do you mean "light hungry"? Is there a recommended ISO / ASA rating for the studio cameras?

Would you also try to avoid mixing BM Studio Cam 4K and Micro Studio Camera 4K?

Martin

Jack Fairley

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 pm

MartinNoweck wrote:Hi Jack,
thanks for your quick reply.

What do you mean "light hungry"? Is there a recommended ISO / ASA rating for the studio cameras?

Would you also try to avoid mixing BM Studio Cam 4K and Micro Studio Camera 4K?

Martin

They are designed for a well-lit studio environment, for shooting a nice saturated Rec. 709 look. Limited dynamic range, though I have not yet tried the latest camera update, which increases sensitivity. I find anything above +6 dB to be too noisy, using older firmware. Studio 4K and Micro Studio 4K share the same sensor, so mixing the two is fine.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:51 am

The newest URSA Mini Pro has less than one frame delay on the SDI output with the newest firmware. Also due to the ergonomics, I would without a doubt go for the Mini Pro over the Mini any day. EVF, Studio Viewfinder, shoulder mount etc are very nice to have in a studio / live environment.

I agree with using the same model of cameras for most of the cameras in use - it is THAT much easier to make them look similar. However, I also like to have static cameras in different angles if I can - and then a Micro Studio Camera or two would make sense. These can be color corrected just the same way the URSAs can, with the return SDI. I wouldn't bother rigging a Micro Studio Camera for use by an operator though, more for the hoop shot in basketball, a static camera in the announcer booth, for use as a drum camera in a concert or on a PTZ-head for more versatile uses.

Yes, you can connect the cameras directly to that switcher with SDI for CCU. Not sure if the regular URSA Mini has talkback, though?

No, there is no switcher with USB3 output currently available. The original 1M/E (I think?) did this with an "uncompressed" output, and the original TVS had H.264 output, but this functionality has been retired AFAIK. I'd recommend getting a separate unit anyway.

MartinNoweck

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for your insights.

Any experience with using third party cameras with SDI Feed in combination with Blackmagic Switchers?

I will loose the CCU control and intercom option?

Martin

p.s. BTW - i assume the ability to color correct the camera picture is built into the camera not into the switcher?

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm

we use Panasonic AJ-PX270 cameras with the AK-HRP200 controller for shading. These are great cameras with excellent image and zero latency. They work very well with the ATEM switcher, set them to your resolution and connect the SDI cable-done. I didn't need any other gear to make this work. No extra lens to buy, no adapters/power supplies/etc to make it work. Very plug and play. Mounts easily on any tripod, and uses off the shelf controllers for zoom and focus if you want them. They only weigh a few pounds so easy to use handheld as well. The 20x zoom range works for both close up, and back of the room shots. We couldn't be happier with them.

We also use Pana HE130 and HE60 remote PTZ cameras, also no latency and shadable from the joystick PTZ controller or the HRP200 we use with the PX270s.

we use a separate intercom system (RTS Zeus matrix with RTS or Dante belt packs). the quality of the BMD intercom leaves a LOT to be desired, and frankly its capabilities come far short of what we need in an intercom.

I see a lot of comments of people trying to use the BMD cameras. for some they work well, but the majority of comments I see seem to tell a story of struggle. I just want to set, shoot, and get on with it. The only headache I want to deal with should be the invoicing paperwork and shipping...

one man's opinion...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jack Fairley

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 pm

MartinNoweck wrote:I will loose the CCU control and intercom option?

Yes.
p.s. BTW - i assume the ability to color correct the camera picture is built into the camera not into the switcher?

Right. There are some third party controllers available to use the shading on the BMD cameras.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Live Production