Fairlight. New Tutorials

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Turner

Fairlight. New Tutorials

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Hello Everyone.

I'm going to be releasing a series of YouTube videos about all things Fairlight. I'm going to start at the very basics and go from there.
What I would like to know, is what sort things would you like to see from these videos?
What topics would you like covered?

Any help here will allow me to gauge what aspects of the software needs addressing.

Cheers

Sam,
SoundQuake

Dermot Shane

Re: Fairlight. New Tutorials

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 pm

getting x tracks in the timeline to x tracks in deliver with out changeing / touching / panning / anything-ing, no changes, no chance of changes, simply and cleanly with no chance of creating an error

John Paines

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Sounds like it could be a long series, but if you really want the material to be useful to any but current audio editors/mixers, approach it as if the viewer's understanding of audio editing is limited to functions available in the Resolve Edit page.

So you'll want to explain how already familiar NLE audio operations are accomplished on the Fairlight page, as well as functions the viewer has probably never seen before.

Michael Tiemann

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 am

Would be great to see best practices to share a multi-track file out to ProTools (including how best to transfer track names) for OSX.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 am

Dermot Shane wrote:getting x tracks in the timeline to x tracks in deliver with out changeing / touching / panning / anything-ing, no changes, no chance of changes, simply and cleanly with no chance of creating an error

I'd really like to see that as well.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Donnell Henry

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 2:34 pm

I would like to see how to do a 5:1 surround sound mix in fairlight
GODS CREATE

Jim Simon

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Starting with the basics would be useful. Explain the entire GUI, where things are and how they're used.

Another video could specialize in effects, explaining all the parameters, how they work and interact. Speak to the audio novice, not the engineer.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm

This kinda goes along the lines of Dermot's response. A lot of us don't do the editing in Resolve, but we might be doing the finish and delivery from there. So a basic workflow that is coming up a lot is the whole multitrack output. I've done what I'm describeing below a couple times in 14 but I think there are better ways then the technique I've come up with.

A great tutorial would be to take a timeline, add in a typical set of audio mixes from an audio house.
6 channels for 5.1, 1 stereo mix track, and 1 M&E stereo track.

Lay these out on your timeline into an 8 track setup.
Now go to Fairlight and explain what the cleanest possible setup would be to arrange several main outs, or sub outs or what ever, to allow us to provide (on the delivery page) a surround only output, a stereo only output, a surround and M&E output, a stereo and M&E output, and a surround and stereo output.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 am

on the film i exported last week i had from first class mix facility;
5.1 broadcast
5.1 theatrical in reels
5.1 theatrical stiched
LtRt web
LtRt broadcast
LtRt broadcast M&E
5.1 broadcast M&E
LtRt D/M/E
mono D

then i dup the master timeline x12 to add the various distb head logo's and market specfic end rollers and layout the needed tracks in the needed order;

LtRt broadcast + 5.1 broadcast x 3
LtRt broadcast + LtRt broadcast M&E +5.1 broadcast M&E x 2
LtRt web x 2
5.1 theatrical in reels x1
5.1 theatrical stiched x1
LtRt broadcast + LtRt D/M/E + mono D x 2
LtRt broadcast + 5.1 broadcast M&E x 1

i have to make seperate timelines for markets / distb's anyway, so laying out the audio tracks for each export is not a huge deal for my workflow, if i could with confidence layout all 61 tracks and route them where i need them from one master timeline i woud do that...

but only after makeing ABSOLUTLY SURE that i export the audio excatly as the mixer, producers and director signed off .. that is by far the most critical issue

DaveWilliams

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:I would like to see how to do a 5:1 surround sound mix in fairlight

I'd like to see this too. I will be working with 7.1 surround sound.

Sam Turner

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your replies so far, it's been a big help. It's good to get an idea of the range of issues that people are having and what issues are more common. I'll keep this thread going to allow others to chip in. In the mean time I'm going to continue with planning the first videos.

Thanks again,

Sam

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Many editors (such as myself) are coming from Premiere or other NLE's. For the last 20 years Ive been mixing at the clip level. Having all my A-Roll on tracks 1-2. VOs on other tracks. Sound effects on other tracks, and then music on their own tracks. All together an edit for a feature length film might use 10-15 tracks total. I can copy and paste my sound effects, settings, EQ etc from one clip to another. Easy. Now, with fairlight, there appears to be no way to edit at the clip-level. There is no way to copy or paste EQ settings or VST settings or templates from one clip to another. So I am forced to mix in resolve as the track level. Which means creating hundreds of tracks for all my various scenes, all with their own audio room tone and different mic sounds etc. This is going to be a nightmare to manage all this. Seems like there has to be a better way, yet, Fairlight strong-arms me into doing EQ and effects I would normally do for one clip, onto an entire track. Major pain.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Fairlight strong-arms me into doing EQ and effects I would normally do for one clip, onto an entire track.

Fairlight...is only half baked. I love the plan BMD has here, but they definitely released the feature before it's finished.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Thom Britten-Austin

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm

cover the stuff thats not dealt with in the documentation and demonstrate some workflows eg for surround sound
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 pm

I just keep coming back to look for the links to the tutorials.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif (788.61 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
Ulysses Paiva

Sam Turner

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:I just keep coming back to look for the links to the tutorials.

giphy.gif

I'm working on it don't worry. I really needed to see what people want before I dived in and started making videos.

Return to DaVinci Resolve