My conceptual 120 fps water collisions video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Benton Collins

My conceptual 120 fps water collisions video

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 am

The water collisions in this video was shot using the 120fps windowed mode in the URSA Mini 4.6 then slowed down to 50% in Adobe Premiere with optical flow. The shutter angle was a very narrow 11.2 degrees to freeze each frame of fast moving water. The water glass reveal a the end was shot with the camera on it's side to capture as much detail in the splash and glass as possible within the 2k windowed frame.

Donnell Henry

Re: My conceptual 120 fps water collisions video

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Wow Benton love it.
GODS CREATE

Benton Collins

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:Wow Benton love it.

Thanks Donnell!

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 pm

"Since the first free elections were held in April 1994, South Africans are popularly known as the ''rainbow people''".

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 6945108139

Does the USA need to find it's purple?

Very provocative piece.
Wonderful audio.

50 stars
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Benton Collins

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:"Since the first free elections were held in April 1994, South Africans are popularly known as the ''rainbow people''".

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 6945108139

Does the USA need to find it's purple?

Very provocative piece.
Wonderful audio.

50 stars

Thanks for your interesting link and comments Leon! I’m glad you found it provocative. I did indeed design it to make people think. The symbolism of purple in this context does not necessarily mean compromise, but rather a higher state of awareness and level of consciousness on all sides. This results in true enlightenment and understanding. And yes, the USA desperately needs to find its “purple”.

Best,
Benton

OwenCrowley

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 am

Fabulous and spectacular photography and composition. Great finds for the music and animation, too.

Benton Collins

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 am

OwenCrowley wrote:Fabulous and spectacular photography and composition. Great finds for the music and animation, too.

Thanks for the complement Owen! Yes, I was very fortunate to find the music that I did. It took a while to find just the right tone and pace for the main piano track and finding the trumpet and strings that worked seamlessly with the piano was near magic. When I first laid the trumpet over the piano track, I couldn't believe that the trumpet wasn't written for that music at all, but it fit so beautifully!

The bulk of the animation was created from individual stills that I shot of star shaped ice "cubes", then I used key frames in Premiere to make them all move.

Finding the animated gold stars that appear in the glass of purple water at the end was the icing on the cake!

Donnell Henry

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

You're welcome benton. Awesome use of that 120fps windowed mode on the Ursa and optical flow. If i ever have to do slowed down liquid, i'll follow your lead here. Thanks for sharing
GODS CREATE

Benton Collins

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 am

Donnell Henry wrote:You're welcome benton. Awesome use of that 120fps windowed mode on the Ursa and optical flow. If i ever have to do slowed down liquid, i'll follow your lead here. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Donnell and remember to also use the narrowest shutter angle possible too. 120fps with a 180 degree shutter will still yield a smeary image with fast moving subjects like splashing water.

Return to Cinematography