Keyframe Timeline Mode default

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Steti

Keyframe Timeline Mode default

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 am

Hi there,

I've recently made a couple of mistakes that took me 15 mn to fix (actually to find out where were the issue came from). Well, now I know...

Actually I'm using stills a lot, because it's a powerful way of copying grades, keep the evolution of them over the edit, etc etc, easily applied to clips, post-groups, selected clips, whatever...
But as you now, stills keep various informations, and my 2-3 mistakes (out of 25 same actions, fortunately) came from I middle-click the stills to apply them, which applies both grades and sizing : as a few keyframes about sizings were involved in this very saved still, it applied it because the Keyframe Timeline Mode was on "all" (default behavior), instead of Color (only).
And I'd like this latter to be the default one, because I neither want to "append node graph" nor go through the display of it to choose color only : just keep on middle-clicking stills to apply their grade only to selected clips/groups.

Any way to open Resolve and have "color" as default for Keyframe Timeline Mode in any project ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Sam Steti

Re: Keyframe Timeline Mode default

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Nobody ever pasted grades AND sizing from a still when only color grades were required ? :shock:

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 am

Try keyframe timeline mode.. in Mark menu
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 am

Thx Peter, but what I'd like is that "Mark > keyframe timeline mode" would be on "color" only, that's to say in any project, new project, re-open project etc... ever and by default for new projects...
So far, this very "color" choice remains until the project is closed, then it will turn back into "all" on whatever new openings (new projects, and even the one in which "color" had already be chosen, that's my point)

mattfezz

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

I might be misunderstanding, but you can also right click in the gallery and select "preserve input sizing" to only apply the color info from the stills.

I agree though, having an option for resolve to default to color keyframe mode would be very welcome.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am

If I can suggest a quick way to solve this: I use several keyboard shortcuts so I can alter Keyframe Timeline Mode to All (^A), Color (^C), or Sizing (^S). I do this frequently enough that I have specific keys on a macro keyboard preset for these functions. I use these all the time -- I'm a big believer in only using keyframes on specific nodes (except in special cases).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am

Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways, because this part doesn't behave like elsewhere in Resolve, where you may define a default behavior for ever.
Here it comes back to a status "all" each time you open a project, and I got screwed a couple of time because of that when switching from one project to another... :oops:

So my issue is not the easiness/quickness of the access to the mode change (why not shortcuts, yes), I just would like an option to specify "only apply color from stills, anywhere, anytime" (what you can define in other parts or Resolve btw)
But I'll probably get around in the end ;)

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 am

Sam Steti wrote:Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways...

Life is hard -- it's a constant struggle. There are certain things you have to do every day: wear clean underwear, brush your teeth twice a day, keep your car full of gas. Remembering to check the Keyframe Timeline Mode is high on my to-do list.

In my case, since I have it programmed as a macro, I just hit a button and go. I don't even have to think about it. Do it 1000 times and you won't have to think about it, either.

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways...

Life is hard -- it's a constant struggle. There are certain things you have to do every day: wear clean underwear, brush your teeth twice a day, keep your car full of gas. Remembering to check the Keyframe Timeline Mode is high on my to-do list.

In my case, since I have it programmed as a macro, I just hit a button and go. I don't even have to think about it. Do it 1000 times and you won't have to think about it, either.

Well, I brush my teeth 3 times a day actually, and I accomplish all other "daily missions" too without pain... But even if life is really hard (which depends on who is thinking of it), I'd like not to add a basic option check on the list even more ;) It appears to me as stupid as checking a power supply button to remain switched on while working.
Please BMD add an option to keep "color" for ever, we'll find other stuff to make our lives complicated...

Dominik Gehring

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:22 pm

THIS!! x1000
Even if i learned about it, i constantly fall into this trap. Please give us the option to have it color only as default.
Last edited by Dominik Gehring on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------
www.kg-studio.ch

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Maybe we need a checkbox in Preferences>User>Color>General Settings.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sam Steti

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote: ̶M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ we definitely need a checkbox in Preferences>User>Color>General Settings.

Peter Cave

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:40 am

Sam Steti wrote:Here it comes back to a status "all" each time you open a project, and I got screwed a couple of time because of that when switching from one project to another... :oops:

Strange, as on my setup the Color only selection stays selected when I open other projects. It only resets when I shutdown Resolve.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 am

Peter Cave wrote:Strange, as on my setup the Color only selection stays selected when I open other projects. It only resets when I shutdown Resolve.

There are a lot of functions that reset when you exit and relaunch. If it were up to me, I think the normal behavior would be to preserve the last-changed function and restore that when you relaunch -- in other words, if you've kept it on Keyframe Timeline -> Color when you exited this session, it would stay on Color-only on relaunch. But there's 100 other things that don't stay fixed as well -- for example, if you're in stabilize mode and do some tracking, then an hour later need to track a window and without thinking just hit the Tracking button... it tries to stabilize the scene. To me, every time you exit a shot, it should revert to window-tracking mode. Or: if you have just a window selected and highlighted in the viewer, Resolve should be smart enough to know that you want to be in Window-tracking mode.

There are dozens of things like this... but they're minor and not catastrophic problems. I would like them to be fixed someday.

Sam Steti

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:53 am

Sorry, you're probably right Peter the launch resets it, not switching projects in the same session...
But still, this is typically the option that could be moved to the color settings, for I'm pretty sure a high % of users always want the same settings in all projects (but could change it again anyway)

Sam Steti

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 11:04 am

Marc Wielage wrote:If it were up to me, I think the normal behavior would be to preserve the last-changed function and restore that when you relaunch -- in other words, if you've kept it on Keyframe Timeline -> Color when you exited this session, it would stay on Color-only on relaunch.
This is ok for me too, though it's nor far from my suggestion anyway.

for example, if you're in stabilize mode and do some tracking, then an hour later need to track a window and without thinking just hit the Tracking button... it tries to stabilize the scene. To me, every time you exit a shot, it should revert to window-tracking mode.
I agree but I don't understand your example. If you need to track a window, how come you can hit a button where "Stabilize" is written on ?

But I have another one in this tab space : I usually try - with pretty good success depending on the shots - Similarity before Perspective as a stabilize mode. Well, I do some Sim. stab. and go to the next shot, boom : Perspective is preset again...

There are dozens of things like this... but they're minor and not catastrophic problems. I would like them to be fixed someday.
Yes, so do we, but personally this Keyframe Timeline Mode default is really one who annoys me on 100% of my projects

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:There are a lot of functions that reset when you exit and relaunch.

I'm trying to get that changed. Folks can help by upvoting the following.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96350
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 2:20 am

Sam Steti wrote:I agree but I don't understand your example. If you need to track a window, how come you can hit a button where "Stabilize" is written on ?

On the big panels, the Tracking button works for both Window Tracking and for Stabilizing.

But I have another one in this tab space : I usually try - with pretty good success depending on the shots - Similarity before Perspective as a stabilize mode. Well, I do some Sim. stab. and go to the next shot, boom : Perspective is preset again...

If it were up to me, I would make Translation the default for stabilization, or at least stay where it was last saved in the project. I rarely have good luck with Similarity or Perspective, but it happens on are occasions.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn Thomas

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 12:19 pm

An old thread I know, but is there a fix for this yet? I just lost about half an hour's worth of work, simply because I forgot to set keyframe timeline mode to Color. There seriously needs to be an option to change the default setting here to Color.

This happens to me all the time, and it's not something that's easy to remember to do either. A shortcut wouldn't make any difference to me either. After finishing an editing and getting excited to start colour grading, having to go into a menu to change something or remember to hit a specific shortcut key is not something I naturally do. And doing a search, it seems plenty of other people in threads other than this one also have the same problem.

This time around I had a lot of stabilisation that took me multiple attempts to get looking smooth, and after redoing it all, my settings still don't look as good as I had them the first time around.

Has anyone at Blackmagic Design ever mentioned this to Grant Petty? He seems enthusiastic about helping users be able to use the software more efficiently.
Glenn Thomas

Computers: Apple M1 MacBook Pro 13” with 8gb ram and 512gb hard drive, PC with AMD Ryzon 9 3950, 64gb ram, Nvidia RTX2070 and 2gb Samsung T7
Software: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18
Camera: Z Cam E2

joymonger

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 2:46 am

It would be nice to see this behave like other menu items, "selection follows playhead" for example.
MBP M1Max

Marc Wielage

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 7:45 am

Glenn Thomas wrote:An old thread I know, but is there a fix for this yet? I just lost about half an hour's worth of work, simply because I forgot to set keyframe timeline mode to Color. There seriously needs to be an option to change the default setting here to Color.

Make it a habit to check this at the beginning of your session, and it won't ever be a problem for you again.

As I said above (years ago), I wish the default behavior would be for Resolve to remember in the session that the last time you used it, you had Mark -> Keyframe Timeline Mark -> Color selected, and it'd stay there forever or until you changed it. But it's not my decision. I have to check 15 or 20 different things in a Resolve session, all the way from Timeline Framerate to how the bins are setup to how the Timelines are named and what formats, audio track setup, and destination drive for every Export. I just accept it as part of life and keep going.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Just noting that this important and easy to code request was made five years ago.

Would one of you guys who really wants this make sure it's written up as a feature request , +1 it and link to it here? Maybe that will bring it back to BMD's attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

panos_mts

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 3:58 pm

mattfezz wrote:I might be misunderstanding, but you can also right click in the gallery and select "preserve input sizing" to only apply the color info from the stills.

If you enable this option, you can save the project settings as default and the setting will be by default on with every new project.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 06, 2022 2:27 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Just noting that this important and easy to code request was made five years ago.

I think it was suggested much more than 5 years ago.

mattfezz wrote:I might be misunderstanding, but you can also right click in the gallery and select "preserve input sizing" to only apply the color info from the stills.

You can still change Edit Sizing, so Input Sizing is a separate thing. (There's also Output Sizing, so it's not a simple thing.)

Tom Deburchgrave

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 11:19 am

Hi. I totally agree with Sam. I never need to copy sizing when I'm color grading. So every time at the beginning of a grading session I have to go and change the setting to color. Blackmagic should indeed fix it and make color the default and give the option to change it to sizing or both just in case anyone would ever need to do that.

greetings
Tom

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 12:38 pm

Tom Deburchgrave wrote:Hi. I totally agree with Sam. I never need to copy sizing when I'm color grading. So every time at the beginning of a grading session I have to go and change the setting to color.

Just remember to do that, and your problems are solved. As I said years ago, there's several dozen things you have to check in Resolve or you'll go right off a cliff. As far as I'm concerned, that's the job of being a colorist: constantly checking everything to make sure it's absolutely right the first time, the pictures look good, the client is happy, and there are no technical errors. I don't look for training wheels or help from the software: I trust my ability to check for 1 second, and it's taken care of. Literally, it doesn't take me more than 1 second to hit ^C, and I know I'm in the right mode.

I've gotten in the habit of glancing over to the Keyframe window when I start working so that if it happens to say ALL, I know, "ah, I should be in COLOR mode or I should be in SIZING mode." It's 1 second to do -- it's like glancing at the gas gauge in your car, or glancing at the speedometer while you drive. Not that hard. All part of the responsibility of being a driver. (In my case, my car sends me an electronic message to my phone to beep me if the gas gets low, and it pings if I start the engine and fuel level is low. But I already know that and I don't rely on the automatic functions... because I check things. I'm very OCD that way, and I trust nothing when it comes to computers or mechanical devices.)

You think this is hard, try rendering a job in 10 different output sizes, aspect ratios, sound mix standards, different titles, and different run times. Keyframe Timeline Mode is trivial compared to getting the sizing and framerate correct for foreign deliveries and social media. And those aren't automatic, either. It's endless checking to make sure it's right -- all part of the job. I just take it in stride because it's what we do.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 5:38 pm

Hi Marc
What you do is just fine for you as a full-time colorist. If Resolve users were all full-time colorists all would be well. But that's not representative of Resolve's userbase. There are a vast array of both levels of experience and, more importantly, levels of willingness to commit time to a steep learning curve.

Some have said that any program as powerful as Resolve requires a steep learning curve. I disagree with this. Many years ago Resolve was MUCH harder to learn. Then the Resolve team reworked much of the UI and suddenly Resolve became much more accessible. I think that time has come again. There's a ton of relatively easy opportunities to make Resolve more accessible to new and casual users. The question is if and when the Resolve team decides to take up the challenge of addressing so many small blemishes that, in aggregate, make the program hard to learn.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Peter Cave

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 10:14 pm

I copy sizing very often so prefer the current default. This is just a case of what individual users prefer. There is no right or wrong in this case. Whichever is the default, it will affect someone's workflow.

My vote is to make ALL menu selections "sticky" and tied to the current database in use, therefore no menu choices are changed when switching projects or creating new ones.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

dannyrodcam

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 5:05 pm

+1 Upvote for BMD to add the option to choose Keyframes "Color" as default instead of "All" in a further release.

Thanks guys. What amazing piece of software you made and keep improving everyday.

radomir

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 2:31 pm

+1
Or just remember which option I selected last time.

Jim Simon

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 2:47 pm

radomir wrote:remember which option I selected last time.
You can upvote that Feature Request below, Rad.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96350
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am

radomir wrote:Or just remember which option I selected last time.

100% agree. As I said years ago, it'd be great if every time we exited, Resolve remembered the Keyframe Timeline Mode and about 25 other things -- tracking mode, stabilization mode, Node positions in the node window... it's a long list.

Andy Mees

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 11:07 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:and about 25 other things
Hell, yeah. For me, the novelty of re-enabling Timecode Overlays at every launch has worn pretty thin.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 19, 2023 10:51 am

Andy Mees wrote:Hell, yeah. For me, the novelty of re-enabling Timecode Overlays at every launch has worn pretty thin.

Yeah, that's on the list of things I'd like to see where that mode stays turned on if you had it on right before you exit, then you relaunch. A lot of these "state" issues drive me crazy, but it's more like a brief curse, a sigh of exasperation, I fix it, then I get back to work. Not the end of the world by any means.

Return to DaVinci Resolve