Teranex IP Video 12G

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Chris Lukasser

Teranex IP Video 12G

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

We have recently bought 2 of those units, hoping to solve our troubles in bridging longer distances in various live-production scenarios. I did some testing and carefully read the manual, but there is still a bunch of questions. Connecting our 2 devices via different CAT5E cables (3m, 15m, 30m), plugin in an SDI-Camera on the source-unit, getting the signal on the destination-unit: everything fine as expected.

Q1: What is the maximum distance that I can achieve, as we have to bridge a distance of 300m (1000ft).
Is this possible, maybe with the help of 2 "Ethernet and POE extenders" like these: http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ ... h-max.aspx

Q2: Do the 2 Teranex IP Video units need to have a hardwired connection? I know that the Tico-compression needs about 350 MBit and we are alternatively testing the Ubiquiti Networks PBE-5AC-400-ISO - 5 GHz airMAX® ac-Bridge.
I can get a bandwidth of up to 450 Mbps with them, but I have not managed to get any signal over this units in combination with the Teranex IP Video units on both sides.
If anybody could answer one or both of my questions I would probably save a lot of time, thank you in advance, Chris
Resolve studio 18.1.2, Minipanel, Editorkeyboard, Ultrastudio 4k, MacPro2013/128GB, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex IP Video 12G

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Chris,

100m / 300ft is the maximum spec for Ethernet links.. So for 300 meters you are better off with 2 fiber media converters.
Be aware that the boxes you suggest are with POE.. I don't have it by head if the IP units do support poe.. As normally 1 Gb links and poe run over the same wires.. So check this in the specs of the Teranex converters..

About the ubi's I do have a lot of Ubi's and expierience.. I do not have the Tico units.. So i can not talk from expierience.. I'm not entirely sure why it won't work.. Maybe it uses a jumbo frame or does it have some sync info going haywire by the packtising of the Ubi's..

Make sure you have Airmax enabled. This will normally ensure a better troughput of data in the Ubi's.
Make sure AC is enabled... But i guess you did a troughput test on them.. Also don't put them too close to eachother for testing ;) They can suffer from packet loss if too close because they go blind on to much TX power.. :lol:

And while i do think this will not make a difference.. But try to play with the bandwitdh of the link.. THe wider it is the more data it can handle.. But it takes more channel width and in RF crowded enviroments this can be an issue..

BTW IF Tico 4:1 compression on a 12Gb/s signal.. Try to send a 3G signal and check if this comes trough?! Less data and bandwitdh. Maybe better results.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Chris Lukasser

Re: Teranex IP Video 12G

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Hey Daniel,
thank you for instant feedback and knowledge! I really appreciate that!

Xtreemtec wrote:Hi Chris,

100m / 300ft is the maximum spec for Ethernet links.. So for 300 meters you are better off with 2 fiber media converters.

Yes fiber was one of the solutions we thought of, but it is far more costly and so we test on other solutions so far.

Xtreemtec wrote:Be aware that the boxes you suggest are with POE.. I don't have it by head if the IP units do support poe.. As normally 1 Gb links and poe run over the same wires.. So check this in the specs of the Teranex converters..

As far as I can see and read they should...

Xtreemtec wrote:About the ubi's I do have a lot of Ubi's and expierience.. I do not have the Tico units.. So i can not talk from expierience.. I'm not entirely sure why it won't work.. Maybe it uses a jumbo frame or does it have some sync info going haywire by the packtising of the Ubi's..

Yes, theoretically the Teranex IP Video should work, but maybe they can not sync going haywire... BMD support guys should know ;)

Xtreemtec wrote:Make sure you have Airmax enabled. This will normally ensure a better troughput of data in the Ubi's. Make sure AC is enabled... But i guess you did a troughput test on them.. Also don't put them too close to eachother for testing ;) They can suffer from packet loss if too close because they go blind on to much TX power.. :lol:

Yes, I enabled Airmax and ac but I didn't know about the getting blind thing: thank you for that!!!
Xtreemtec wrote:And while i do think this will not make a difference.. But try to play with the bandwitdh of the link.. THe wider it is the more data it can handle.. But it takes more channel width and in RF crowded enviroments this can be an issue..
BTW IF Tico 4:1 compression on a 12Gb/s signal.. Try to send a 3G signal and check if this comes trough?! Less data and bandwitdh. Maybe better results.. ;)

I also played with the bandwidth of the link and I "only" send a 3G signal coming from a Panasonic HPX171 (1080i50). The picture-quality and poor latency of the Teranex IP Video (Tico codec) is really nice and swiching between the other cameras in the Atem productionstudio 4k and sending the program-out to the big LED-screen on the sports-events we also do would fit perfect. I like the BMD products because they have never let me down so far in our live event productions.
Thanx again Daniel, Chris!
Resolve studio 18.1.2, Minipanel, Editorkeyboard, Ultrastudio 4k, MacPro2013/128GB, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina

Return to Live Production