Resolve 14 Studio Project Manager - Windows

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Craig Sawyer

Resolve 14 Studio Project Manager - Windows

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if I am missing something really obvious, but the set up guide in the manual for configuring a Resolve Project Server only provide instructions for Mac OS. Our clients are Mac OS, but the machine we want to use for the server app is Windows. Resolve Studio runs fine, as does the Project Server but we need to change the Postgres config file to recognise the machine IP on the network not the default 127.0.0.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Craig
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Pat Inhofer

Re: Resolve 14 Studio Project Manager - Windows

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't think your missing anything. The 'sharing' option of the Project Server seems broken on Windows. I'm replicating your problem. After enabling sharing, the IP address stays local to the host machine - unlike on the Mac where it inherits the Ethernet IP address.

Also - after sharing on Windows, exporting the key and then importing to Resolve on Mac, the Mac gives an error and won't import the configuration settings.

Seems busted for now on the Windows serving side.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 am

If you are using a current version of Resolve, the Project Server works on both Mac and Windows.

Prior to Resolve 14.1.1, the Enable Sharing option did not work properly.

@Pat: What IP address are you looking at?

What the Enable Sharing does is modifies C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.5\data\pg_hba.conf file, and adds the database you are sharing, as well as the current IP address of the machine you are running the Project Server on to the last line of that file. There will be a similar line for each database you share.

It should look something like this:

host tim all 192.168.121.83/24 md5

Where tim is the name of the database I shared and 192.168.121.83 is the IP address of the machine I'm running Project Server on.

@Craig: Once you have selected a database and then selected Enable Sharing, you should then select Create Access Key. This will create a file with the name of the database and a .resolvedbkey extension. In my example above, it creates a file called tim.resolvedbkey

Drag that file onto the Project Manager window of the Resolve system you want to access the database. It will automatically be added to the Resolve PostgreSQL database list.

If dragging the access key onto the Project Manager window fails, it probably means that the Resolve system you are on is not on the same network subnet as the server. You can do a ping test to see if the 2 machine see each other. If ping works, it could be a firewall issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Craig Sawyer

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks Dwaine, it looks like we could get this sorted :)

The issue I have is our windows server is giving the database location an IP of 127.0.0.1 which is just local to the machine. The Windows server is on the network (its our ProMax Media Server so accessible from all machines). In the Resolve manual there are instructions on how to change the IP address through terminal on a MAC, but no instructions on how to do this on a Windows box.

If you could perhaps advise how to change the IP address in the config file on Windows that would be awesome!

Cheers

Craig

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:10 pm

@Craig: Again, what IP address are you talking about that you want to change?

If you are talking about the address in the pg_hba.conf file. the Project Server Enable Sharing button adds that for you.
Dwaine Maggart

Craig Sawyer

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 pm

When you enable sharing it automatically configures the project server database to an IP which is only accessible on the same machine (127.0.0.1) - I need to be able to change the IP address to the one that can be reached by all machines on our network. The Resolve manual has instructions on how to do this if the project server is running on a Mac, but contains no details on how to change the IP if it’s installed on a windows machine.

Thanks

Craig

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 pm

@Craig: That is incorrect.

Please send a screen shot of the pg_hba.conf file contents after you've done an Enable Sharing on a database.
Dwaine Maggart

Craig Sawyer

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks Dwaine I’ll send a image across tomorrow when back in the office. It may be incorrect but I can assure you that is the IP it allocates when we press enable sharing.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:36 pm

I'll reiterate that if you are using the Resolve Project Server from a version prior to 14.1.1, it would NOT update the pg_hba.conf file. But 14.1.1 and later will do SOMETHING to the file.

I'm just curious to see what's its done to yours.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Pondering this overnight, I think what you may be referring to is that the Location part of the database list in the Project Server says that the address is 127.0.0.1. That is totally normal and expected. That has NOTHING to do with sharing the database, which is controlled by an entry in the pg_hba.conf file.

If the Location saying 127.0.0.1 is your concern, ignore that. Did you try connecting to the database from a Resolve client using an Access Key?
Dwaine Maggart

Karen Kawas

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello, I'm currently having the same issue here I create de database in a workstation, enable sharing in the project server and then created de access key but I still fail to connect to the database.

Here's a screenshot of the message I get:

Captura de pantalla (7).png
Captura de pantalla (7).png (93.33 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!
If I rest I rust.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 pm

It would be helpful to also have a screen shot of the Project Server, which appears to be behind the Resolve app.

It would also be helpful to have a Resolve log file (Resolve Help menu - Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop).
Dwaine Maggart

Karen Kawas

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi Dwaine! Thanks for answering so quickly. Here's a screenshot of the shared database I want to connect to from the other workstation.

Captura de pantalla (5).png
Captura de pantalla (5).png (103.68 KiB) Viewed 3028 times

As I've said before creating the access key and dragging it to the other project manager doesn't help.

I have the Resolve-log.zip file but I'm not sure what do you want to see there or how can I send it to you??

The guy that sets up our shared server is coming by to help us sort this out but any guidance would sure be of help.
If I rest I rust.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm

As I asked on your other post:

But you've added a bit more data here, with the comment that the Project Server is on one system, and you are trying to connect from other systems.

Are the other systems on the same IP subnet as the Project Server system?

Can the other systems ping the project server?

Answers to those would be helpful.

For the log file, post it on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here.
Dwaine Maggart

Karen Kawas

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi Dwaine!

I'm not sure how to tell if they are on the same IP subnet.

How can I know that? And how can I ping the project server from the other systems?

I'm new in this specific topic.

Here's the link to the log file:
https://we.tl/a9FVNHX1o7

Thank you very much!
If I rest I rust.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Can you tell me the IP address of both the Server and the Resolve client PC?

The IP address will be in the form of 4 octet values, i.e.

The first 3 octets, 192.168.100 is the IP subnet. All the Resolve systems that want to connect to the database server system have to have the same first 3 octets as the server.

To ping the server from the Resolve client PC, assuming it's a Windows PC, open a Windows CMD shell. In the shell, type: ping server_ip_address, i.e. if the server address is 192.168.100.123, then you would type:

ping 192.168.100.123 then the ENTER key.

It will respond with 4 "Reply from" messages, or 4 "Request timed out" messages.

If it responds with "Reply from" messages, that means the 2 systems can see each other on the network.

If it responds with "Request timed out" messages, that means the 2 systems can't see each other on the network.
Dwaine Maggart

Karen Kawas

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 am

Hi Dwaine! Thank you so much for your help. It turns out it was a Firewall issue and for two days we were able to work smoothly in a collaborative workflow in some of our projects.

I encountered another problem today though, this time with the Disk databases.

I was working on this personal assigned project in a PC then moved to a Mac with a better screen and display to work on the Color Correction.

For this I just connected to the same disk database (I was working on the PC) in the mac, the route folder of the disk database is saved on the shared server we have at our office.

Everything seemed okay, I mean I just connected to my personal database and suddenly the shared server disconnected like it just went offline. I don't know the reason it just went down. And now Resolve keeps crashing on me on MAC AND WINDOWS.

This are the messages I get whenever I try to access this database or project:

First it was this:
Captura de pantalla (16).png
Captura de pantalla (16).png (391.7 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

And now is this:
Captura de pantalla (31).png
Captura de pantalla (31).png (49.83 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

I'm really on the edge here. In our office we are trying to move forme a Premiere workflow to a Davinci workflow. I'm not sure how we are going to get there if Resolve keeps crashing on us like that just cause the server disconnected.

I can open projects that are on separate hard drives, I'm just struggling with projects that have files on the shared server.

I'm unsure if it affected the files that I opened the database from PC to MAC and so on. Any insight on this would help a ton! Thanks.
If I rest I rust.

Karen Kawas

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am

Another update is that the disk database of a co-worker also fails to connect. The route folder of this is also in the shared server.

And this is what happens:

36321605_10158109280548018_4918882355977912320_n.jpg
36321605_10158109280548018_4918882355977912320_n.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

36297844_10158109280483018_3314663486251859968_n.jpg
36297844_10158109280483018_3314663486251859968_n.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
If I rest I rust.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 4:21 pm

#1: Don't put Resolve Disk databases on removable storage. Too many chances of things to go wrong. Disk databases should be put on persistent, i.e permanently connected storage.

#2. You can't move a disk with a Disk database between Mac and Windows machines, because the path structure is different.

If you want to move projects between dis-similar system types, either use a shared PostgreSQL database server, or export the project as a Project Export .drp or a Project Archive .dra file and import it into the other system.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Re-reading this again, you mention you have a Disk database on a shared server, attempting to connect to it from different machines. That also doesn't work. Disk databases cannot be shared like that. If you want to have a shared database, it has to be a PostgreSQL database.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve