DaVinci 15 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris North

Re: DAVINCI 15 | Big feature request list.

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am

Hello there,

If I add a Data Burn (under workspace) and select "source timecode" or "source filename", they don't update anymore when the playhead moves to the next clip. Although they will update on scrub or export, having a correct update during playback from the timeline would be very useful to me.

chris

Chris North

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am

Hey Blackmagic,

A few nice things to have IMHO:

- Useage. In AVID, you can highlight a sequence, select media relatives, and see all the used footage within that sequence. Currently, DaVinci is like Premiere in having a fairly useless USEAGE field with an abstract number in it.
- Selections. The ability to invert a selection within a bin. Ties in with the above too.
- Premiere recently added the ability to extend existing subclip handles. Perhaps DaVinci could incorporate this OR even better improve the integration of Duration Markers which could accomplish the same thing more elegantly.
- Related to this, the ability to see marked clips in thumbnail view.
- Clip Color should be reflected in the BIN as well as the timeline.
- The ability to Zoom in on the source monitors scrub bar for when dealing with long clips.
- Better integration of EXTERNAL MATTE in the color page so that overlays/mattes/lens effects/flares etc can be used. Currently it requires "Add as matte for the color page" in the media pool and the fiddly use of an alpha matte.

chris

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm

When a piece come as long format and you use an edl to cut it, you cannot anymore do temporal noise reduction because it grabs the frame before and after the cut that is s completely different scene.

A button in the temporal NR that allow to extend the calculation on tails (like now) or stop within the boundaries of the cuts.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Salvatore

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 am

Coming from Sony Vegas I've never understood why none of the other editing programs include the mouse wheel zoom fluidity that Vegas does. It always feels so clunky to me trying to move around the timeline in Premiere, Resolve etc.

IN VEGAS:

Roll the mouse wheel forward to zoom in / backward to zoom out (Response is much more fluid then Resolve when using alt/wheel)

Hold the shift key and roll mouse wheel to navigate the timeline left or right (This is very useful for timeline navigation)

Hold the ctrl key and roll mouse wheel to navigate up and down when multiple clips are stacked.
Last edited by Marc Salvatore on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

David Cherniack

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Marc Salvatore wrote:Coming from Sony Vegas I've never understood why none of the other editing programs include the mouse wheel zoom fluidity that Vegas does. It always feels so clunky to me trying to move around the timeline in Premiere, Resolve etc.

IN VEGAS:

Roll the mouse wheel forward to zoom in / backward to zoom out (Works much more fluid then Resolve alt/wheel)

Hold the shift key and roll mouse wheel to navigate the timeline left or right (very useful)

Hold the ctrl key and roll mouse wheel to navigate up and down when multiple clips are stacked.

I second this. The default Resolve behavior with the mouse scroll wheel (scrolling the tracks up and down) is not the most common use in editing which is zooming in and out of the timeline for which pressing alt/option is required. There's an argument that long time users are already habituated to the default and asking them to change would cause an uproar. Fine. Then give us an option to set the default behavior in User/Preferences. The everyone would be happy. I also love the Premiere Pro use of the scroll wheel in the track header to set the track height.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Jean Claude

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 6:46 pm

I really wish: new option (dream?)
delivery tab => audio only WAV (No (without) video)
When we ask for One track per channel: whatever the number of audio channels (a 5.1 + a 7.1 + x monos), whatever the number of bus format: MAIN or SUB => we get an audio file (* .WAV) by source channel. (a little when you ask for individual clip + audio only but better) :?
Merci.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Seth Goldin

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 pm

It would be nice to have the GUI controls switch labels when a node is selected that is in a color space different than YRGB. The interface currently stays as YRGB, but if, for instance, a LAB node is selected, it’d be great to have R switch to L, G switch to A. B would be the same I suppose. Perhaps since the Y control doesn’t do anything in LAB, it could be grayed out. Ditto for YUV and HSL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

waltervolpatto

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am

In delivery page, the ability to recall either:
A luut
a dctl
Or a color space transformation
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Andreas Schwarz

custom colors lost

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

Custom colors (generator, solid color) are not saved with the project. That should be different, because it takes time, to recreate them (or to create a workaround)!

waltervolpatto

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:38 pm

color - groups - Rename

instead of present the generic [group #], present the current group name so we don't have to retype from scratch

Create smart filters:
1) if I select 10 random clips, i want to create a smart filter called [random] that has those 10 clips.
2) smart filters in color time proprieties, there should be a [shapes] option (to select all the clips that have shapes)
3) smart filters: an option for any shot that is/is not grouped
4) smart filters, if a shot has/does not have LUT/dctl

in general, smart filter should be more granular...

José Santos

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm

BUGS AND FEATURES!

GENERAL
• Color cast/temperature difference between the edit/fairlight page viewer and the color page viewer. Noticed when switching between the pages
(In general color management of the viewers is a mess. I found out through testing that (on a mac) even when the option is turned off in Resolve's settings, the icc profile in use has an effect on the viewer. So depending on the icc selected in preferences it’s already doing something! And when ticking the "use mac display color profiles for viewer" box on it seems that it doubles the icc profile's effect. I mentioned this you guys over a year ago even before you unveiled the new panels, that promote the use of the viewer with a dedicated viewer button. You didn’t care... If you promote the use of the viewer for grading you should at least improve the color management.)

• Opening and saving projects takes so long, maybe there are ways to improve the speed? The same applies when switching between pages. On a 20min short with 50 audio changing between pages takes a while. Also when switching to the color page the loading of the memories and stills takes forever.

• Progress bars when backing up or importing a project (progess bars everywhere would be the best!) I never know it it crashed or it's just taking long.

MEDIA MANAGEMENT/EXPORTING TO OTHER PLATFORMS:

• Due to the way resolve links video and audio, the audio files get treated as video files when exporting a fcpxxml resulting in several video layers. Please change the linking feature so that when you link audio with video audio keeps the same name in the timeline, an actual link instead of appending the audio files to the video files.

• The ability of media managing audio only is missing, I’d like to be able to transcode sound only in the media page under the file>media management option. Or transcode a merged video and sound clip to audio only.

• I would like the ability to manage optimized media, so that for example when I have a dedicated ssd for caching on one system but need to move the project to another system I don’t need to generate optimised media. (it would be great if the same applied to cache and stills).

• Please make the stills folder visible on the Mac.

EDITING:

• The snap strength of the edit page is to strong, when rippling with snapping on it’s very hard not to fall on an edit point or on the default ripple length (I know that it can be customised).

• When creating audio fade handles in the edit page that fade does not appear in the fairlight page unless adjusts the curve of said in the edit page, only then will the fade appear in the edit page.

• When working with linked selection turned off in the edit page I cannot ripple the edit point of overlaying clips at the same time even after having selected said clips. The selection should overwrite the unlinked option. I have to enter into trim edit mode to be able to trim two overlaying clips simultaneously when having linked selection turned off. This is a problem if I don't want to ripple trim but only trim and the edit points are touching other edit points.

COLOR:

•The colorspace transform ofx is by default cached when having smart caching on, could that be disabled?

•Control response on the tracker is horrible, when I’m tracking and I tell resolve to stop the track it takes ages and keeps tracking well beyond the point I asked it to stop the track.

FAIRLIGHT:

•When creating audio fade handles in the edit page that fade does not appear in the fairlight page unless adjusts the curve of said in the edit page, only then will the fade appear in the edit page.

•No possibility of changing audio clip speed in fairlight page.

• No possibility to add crossfade simply by dragging an audio clip over another in the fairlight page.

• No possibility of stepping frame by frame in the fairlight page at all. The use of the left and right arrow keys to jump between markers makes no sense at all.

• No possibility of working with linked clips in the fairlight page. If I want to ripple the edit points on 3 overlaying audio clips at the same time I have to jump into the edit page. Makes no sense.

• No ability to commit/print an effect applied to a clip on the fairlight page.

• No ability to "zoom in and out" on the waveform. Basically just making the waveform bigger or smaller without changing the volume or the track height.

EXPORT:

• NO LEVELS nor FADES when exporting an AAF or an XML or and FCPXML. Same for applies for the protools export preset in the delivery page. This is a huge miss. I call it a bug not a feature request.

• Possible bug in export for protools through deliver page: Subframe editing is not supported by protools and might get mistranslated in the AAF resulting in random clip positioning. Also might be speed changes applied to audio clips, didn't test.

• When exporting a FCPXML 1.6 and importing it into FCPX the clips do not appear in the FCPX media pool. The same applies to FCPX 1.5 and 1,4 but when using fcpx 1.3 xml it is not an issue.

• In the export page using the audio only option and selecting individual clips I cannot set the in point where there is no video. I cannot select an individual audio clip that has no video above it. If I try to set the in point where there is no video it the in point jumps to the start.

• When exporting individual clips and selecting custom name I always exports the clips with unique filenames even when that checkbox is turned off

CONTROL PANEL:

• When pressing the viewer button on the micro panel to leave full screen the base mem button, caching is lost, it also happens with pressing bypass on and off.

• I would like the ability to define the senitivity of the saturation/hue/contrast/pivot/etc.. knobs on the control panels.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm

I know that ofx are excluded/ ignored when making a lut, but an exception must be made when the color space transform is used:

Include the color space transform ofx in the computation used to make a LUT from a shot.

Patrick Taylor

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Please, Finally, allow us to scroll our LUT drop down list. Or better yet, add a LUT viewer. Yes, I have LUT Gallery, but it’s buggy as hell, unsupported, and generally a bad solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olivier MATHIEU

DAVINCI 15 | Big feature request list.

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:15 am

Johan Hansson wrote:It would be nice if SNAP would ignore clips on disabled/muted tracks.

Agreed
FYI it is one of the autoselect buttons' purposes...
But not very convenient
Last edited by Olivier MATHIEU on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Sam Steti

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am

Patrick Taylor wrote:Please, Finally, allow us to scroll our LUT drop down list. Or better yet, add a LUT viewer. Yes, I have LUT Gallery, but it’s buggy as hell, unsupported, and generally a bad solution.
+ 1. It would be highly appreciated.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Diede van Vree

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Support for Alpha channels in DNx and CineForm would be great.
Windows 10 2004, Resolve Studio 17, Nvidia Studio 457.30
Intel 9960x (16C/32T), 128gb RAM, 1080 GTX 8GB
Mobo: Asus 299x TUF Mark 2

Jamie Dickinson

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Has anyone else mentioned that it would be good to be able to select/copy/paste in the timecode fields?

It would be good if all the numeric input fields were the same across the whole UI. They work well in the Edit Page and the menus under the wheels but currently not under each wheel/bar. You can copy/paste from one to another and I think you could even use relative input if you've selected multiple clips, if you click drag a value. Having similar behaviour and look everywhere including the timecode would be good (I know you can use + / - to type frame numbers/tc but I don't think you can copy/paste).

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 pm

- parent-> child timelines.. helps dealing with QC notes on mutiple timelines, it's much faster (and lower chance of errors)
- search for all nodes with identical settings to current node, update all with changes to match current node

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Jamie Dickinson wrote:Has anyone else mentioned that it would be good to be able to select/copy/paste in the timecode fields?

It would be good if all the numeric input fields were the same across the whole UI. They work well in the Edit Page and the menus under the wheels but currently not under each wheel/bar. You can copy/paste from one to another and I think you could even use relative input if you've selected multiple clips, if you click drag a value. Having similar behaviour and look everywhere including the timecode would be good (I know you can use + / - to type frame numbers/tc but I don't think you can copy/paste).

+1

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 10:23 pm

output scaling preset:

Add "match video output setting" as checkbox, 90% of the times it is what we want.

Norman Black

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Now that Cineform is an option for cached and optimized media, it would be nice if it offered bitrate choices for Cineform. Right now it offers no choice. No idea what bitrate it is using.

Resolve offers bitrate options for DNxHR output. e.g. LB, SQ, HQ. A similar capability for the offered Cineform option(s) would be nice.
Resolve 16b3, Windows 10 1803
i7-4770K 4.0 GHz, 16GB ram, GTX 1080
512GB system SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Adam Brown

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 pm

ability to export still directly to the timeline using a hotkey. This would be a massive time saver

Adrian Mcyorian

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 am

again, pleaseeeee....
Attachments
Artboard1.jpg
Artboard1.jpg (1018.35 KiB) Viewed 22212 times
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 18.5.1
CPU: Intel core I5
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX 1070

Jamie Dickinson

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

Adrian Mcyorian wrote:again, pleaseeeee....

What's wrong with the current look? I know it made me think of FCPX when I first saw it but t's perfectly functional isn't it?

waltervolpatto

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I kind of like the idea of removing unnecessary beveling...

John Paines

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Seems trivial, but I think it's true: the bevels are distracting. Right-angles make distinct objects more distinct.

I was wondering why the Edius interface is somehow more appealing, and right-angles is probably one reason.

waltervolpatto

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:15 pm

The contrast function make a S curve. That's great!
But if you go in the negative direction it will do a single gain/ lift.

That is incorrect: you have already a mode where a contrast will do lift/ gain, if you choose to use a S curve, is should work both ways as suck that if you do a contrast of 2.000, and in the next node contrast 0.500 you must get unity.

Robert Baker

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I would like the video transitions to only apply to the media clip they are used on and not affect the tracks beneath. It's a little ridiculous that the entire video gets the transition applied to an over the shoulder video or title.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Michael Tiemann

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Proper support for IPP2. Specifically:

Camera RAW Project Tab collects all relevant IPP2 parameters for all three stages.
Camera RAW Color Tab also collects all relevant IPP2 parameters for all three stages, and allows them to be changed on clip by clip basis (or to inherit either RED Default or Project or Camera Metadata). Both of these include being able to specify a CDL file and/or directly manipulate CDL parameters (slope, offset, power) and selecting Creative LUT as a file and choosing whether to enable it or not.

More importantly, the grading pipeline should properly support IPP2, meaning that IPP2 stage 1 processing is done in "Camera RAW" bit (page 887 of Resolve 14.2 manual). Then the CDL, creative LUT, contrast, and metadata curves are applied either before the input LUT or in the place of the input LUT. Stage 3 processing basically replaces Output LUT and RCM Output Color Space conversion.

I realize that the team has to make some hard choice if IPP2 stages are going to replace certain functions of the RCM grading pipeline (input LUT, output LUT), specifically whether to gray out those choices on the Lookup Tables section of the Color Management Tab. Or whether to reflect that certain choices force these selections to be specific to how IPP2 works and not some random LUT that can be selected willy-nilly. Or whether to maximize both flexibility and complexity and have LUT after LUT after LUT all fully represented in the pipeline.

Personally, I would prefer letting IPP2 selections override the input and output LUT selections. I really like being able to simply select an output tone map (one of four options), an highlight rolloff curve (one of five options) and a color space (one of 3-5 options: REC 709, REC 2020, sRGB and/or sRGB with some other gammas). I hate poking into the full combinatorial list of 4 * 5 * 4 = 80 LUT files that make those series of choices appear so simple.

Thanks for listening!
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Mike McCune

Resolve 15 feature request: Clip/Frame window option

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Tracking uses power windows to isolate the target object and tracking keyframes can be created throughout the tracking timeline. After the initial track, one almost always needs to update the window position or shape.

There is a choice offered in tracking to make these changes applicable to all the keyframes or applicable only at that point in the timeline. The tracking "Clip" mode option applies window changes to all the tracking window timeline keyframes; "Frame" mode applies the change only at that point in the tracking timeline. Adjoining keyframed window shapes are interpolated for smooth transitions.

Feature request: add this Clip and Frame option to power windows that are not tracked.

Thus timelines with a great many window keyframes can be updated with Clip mode to apply--accurately and consistently-- to all the timeline keyframes.

This power window option might appear along with the size, tilt, pan, etc., window parameter settings.

Thanks, Mike

Kerry Garrison

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 1:45 am

1. Audio noise reduction
2. Preserve transparency on compound clips
3. Preserve transparency in Match Move plugin
4. Rewrite playback engine in Metal on MacOS so performance is on par with FCPX playback (esp h.265)
5. Allow a simple graphic selection in Match Move plugin instead of requiring an external matte
2022 MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64gb RAM

waltervolpatto

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 4:50 am

My vote is against to make ipp2 it's own workflow: keep it similar, coherent and integrated with the rest of the color management/color transform tools.

Let's not make a special case of camera A, tomorrow we will have to make for camera B, then they don't mix and so on.

Michael Tiemann

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 12:16 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:My vote is against to make ipp2 it's own workflow: keep it similar, coherent and integrated with the rest of the color management/color transform tools.

Let's not make a special case of camera A, tomorrow we will have to make for camera B, then they don't mix and so on.

My suggestion was not to make IPP2 its own workflow, but to completely and properly interpret IPP2 functionality across the Resolve grading chain. The fact is that IPP2 interacts with multiple stages of the chain, and to try to implement it as just another up-front decoding system is fundamentally wrong. The sooner that's fixed, the better.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Alejandro Ronda

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 9:11 pm

360 video Support!
Colorist on huehue color Studio Madrid. www.huehue.es
Blackmagic trainer

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 6:05 am

Michael Tiemann wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:My vote is against to make ipp2 it's own workflow: keep it similar, coherent and integrated with the rest of the color management/color transform tools.

My suggestion was not to make IPP2 its own workflow, but to completely and properly interpret IPP2 functionality across the Resolve grading chain. The fact is that IPP2 interacts with multiple stages of the chain, and to try to implement it as just another up-front decoding system is fundamentally wrong. The sooner that's fixed, the better.

Or it is not wrong. Thinking that ipp2 it is somethings special it is wrong.

Camera capture light.
Store in raw
debayer using strategy x to intermediate
color happily.

Ipp2 is not special and it should not be treated in a special way.

Seth Goldin

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Or it is not wrong. Thinking that ipp2 it is somethings special it is wrong.

Camera capture light.
Store in raw
color happily.

I too am confused by Michael Tiemann's request. What is IPP2 other than a new way to deBayer RED files?

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Or it is not wrong. Thinking that ipp2 it is somethings special it is wrong.

Camera capture light.
Store in raw
color happily.

I too am confused by Michael Tiemann's request. What is IPP2 other than a new way to deBayer RED files?

red/panavision/light iron/fanboys are trying to make up a new "secret sauce": the sensor of the bloody camera is the same, it is just another math applied to the RAW data...

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:[...]

You can read more about IPP2 here: https://www.red.com/downloads?category= ... ease=final

IPP2 does provide a new and improved de-bayer capability (in stage 1). But IPP2 also implements CDLs (in stage 2), which Resolve does not support very naturally (if at all). This is a serious limitation. And IPP2 implements output tone maps and highlight retention capabilities (in stage 3) which Resolve tantalizingly promises (because it offers drop-down selectors as part of the Camera RAW parameters page). But it seems to only work with Davinci's training wheels in place. I..e., Davinci Color Management set to default (not color-managed, not ACES). Selecting Davinci YRBG Color Managed seems to defeat the output tone mapping and highlight protection parameters completely. That's weird. The drop-downs should be greyed out if they are going to be summarily ignored due to the selection of other options.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Seth Goldin

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Michael Tiemann wrote:But IPP2 also implements CDLs (in stage 2), which Resolve does not support very naturally (if at all). This is a serious limitation.

I'm earnestly trying to understand here. I'm confused because Resolve does natively support CDLs, via ColorTrace. Are RED's CDLs somehow different and as-of-now unsupported?

Michael Tiemann wrote:And IPP2 implements output tone maps and highlight retention capabilities (in stage 3) which Resolve tantalizingly promises (because it offers drop-down selectors as part of the Camera RAW parameters page). But it seems to only work with Davinci's training wheels in place. I..e., Davinci Color Management set to default (not color-managed, not ACES). Selecting Davinci YRBG Color Managed seems to defeat the output tone mapping and highlight protection parameters completely. That's weird. The drop-downs should be greyed out if they are going to be summarily ignored due to the selection of other options.

So, you can still access the per-clip RAW controls when you're not using any kind of color management. You can forgo ACES and RCM. When you're just in "default" DaVinci YRGB space, you can access all the different RAW parameters, and you can deBayer to whatever gamma and gamut you please. I'm still really not understanding from your explanation what is different about IPP2.

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 pm

waltervolpatto wrote: red/panavision/light iron/fanboys are trying to make up a new "secret sauce": the sensor of the bloody camera is the same, it is just another math applied to the RAW data...

+1

the emperor seems to have clothes only the fanboyz can see
Last edited by Dermot Shane on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dermot Shane

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:The contrast function make a S curve. That's great!
But if you go in the negative direction it will do a single gain/ lift.

That is incorrect: you have already a mode where a contrast will do lift/ gain, if you choose to use a S curve, is should work both ways as suck that if you do a contrast of 2.000, and in the next node contrast 0.500 you must get unity.

this one has always made me puzzled, i workaround by always leaving s-curve off so the contrast responds linear manner

Nucoda offers an S-curve that is adjustable (mapped to a knob on Tangent Elements) this is a very usefull function

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:I'm earnestly trying to understand here. I'm confused because Resolve does natively support CDLs, via ColorTrace. Are RED's CDLs somehow different and as-of-now unsupported?

ColorTrace is not exactly native Davinci Resolve. It lives within a part of the manual that I can barely understand. Be that as it may, I'm a good sport, so I opened up one of my projects with which I'd like to use a CDL. I have three timelines, Timeline 1, Timeline 2, and Timeline 3. Timeline 3 is the one that interests me. Alas, Timeline 3 is not represented in the media pool (don't know why or how to fix that), so I cannot interact with ColorTrace at all. I'm trying to figure that out. In the mean time, I have a response to your second question:

Seth Goldin wrote: [...]
So, you can still access the per-clip RAW controls when you're not using any kind of color management. You can forgo ACES and RCM. When you're just in "default" DaVinci YRGB space, you can access all the different RAW parameters, and you can deBayer to whatever gamma and gamut you please. I'm still really not understanding from your explanation what is different about IPP2.

Not exactly. In order for the output tone map and the highlight rolloff to work, not only do I have to select vanilla DaVinci YRGB, but I have to select Rec.709 as a color space and a gamma curve for my clip. Yes, I can select whatever I want as the Gamma curve for the timeline, but Resolve insists on converting my RAW clips to 709 before doing anything else. (What does that do to all my good RedWideGamutRGB colors and Log3G10 dynamic range?!) Worse, it does this tone mapping at the very front of the grading order, which means my output tone maps are applied before I can apply my first node LUT. Which is nuts. The output tone map should be one of the last things done, followed by the highlight rolloff curve.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:15 pm

I found Timeline 3 hiding in a bin. Looking at ColorTrace now...
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 pm

I have attempted to follow the steps to manually wander into ColorTrace(tm). I have absolutely no clue if I followed the right sequence of steps. But, when I tried to import the following CDL file (written by my RED camera), Resolve refused to recognize it as something to import:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<ColorDecisionList xmlns="urn:ASC:CDL:v1.01">
<ColorDecision>
<ColorCorrection>
<SOPNode>
<Description></Description>
<Slope>1.1 1.1 1.1</Slope>
<Offset>-0.10184 -0.10184 -0.10184</Offset>
<Power>0.5 0.5 0.5</Power>
</SOPNode>
<SATNode>
<Saturation>1.00000</Saturation>
</SATNode>
</ColorCorrection>
</ColorDecision>
</ColorDecisionList>
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Michael Tiemann wrote:I have attempted to follow the steps to manually wander into ColorTrace(tm). I have absolutely no clue if I followed the right sequence of steps. But, when I tried to import the following CDL file (written by my RED camera), Resolve refused to recognize it as something to import:

<ColorDecision>
<ColorCorrection>
<SOPNode>
</SOPNode>
<SATNode>
</SATNode>
</ColorCorrection>
</ColorDecision>
</ColorDecisionList>

Is it a xml/cdl or a edl/cdl?

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Michael Tiemann wrote:I have attempted to follow the steps to manually wander into ColorTrace(tm). I have absolutely no clue if I followed the right sequence of steps. But, when I tried to import the following CDL file (written by my RED camera), Resolve refused to recognize it as something to import:

<ColorDecision>
<ColorCorrection>
<SOPNode>
</SOPNode>
<SATNode>
</SATNode>
</ColorCorrection>
</ColorDecision>
</ColorDecisionList>

Is it a xml/cdl or a edl/cdl?

I presume xml/cdl. And I'm following this part of the manual:

Importing CDL Data Using ColorTrace
The ColorTrace CDL command lets you import ASC CDL file formats from other applications into DaVinci Resolve. DaVinci Resolve version 11.1 also added the ability to read DRX filenames from CDL files, allowing a CDL to load exported DaVinci Resolve grades.
There are three supported file formats:
‚ CMX EDL: An EDL with comments referring to CCC/CDL XML files, or even Slope, Offset, and Power (SOP) data within the comment area.
‚ CCC and CDL XML: A file format that contains various color correction looks, and even references.
To import CDL data into DaVinci Resolve:
1 If you’re importing CCC/CDL XML correction looks:
Open the Gallery page, right-click anywhere within the Stills tab, and choose “Import”
from the contextual menu.
When the Import Stills dialog appears, open the CDL/CCC files. When these are finished importing into the Gallery, an ASC logo will appear along with them.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

Alex Uzan

The house is big Enough (Features request)

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am

Hello BM team,

As my Dad used to say, you can expand the house as much as you can, if your bed is not comfy enough, you’ll never be happy in this place :D
It’s kinda how I feel about Resolve (not really, but we are all spoiled child :mrgreen: )

I really Love Davinci Resolve, and all the great things you’ve done with it.
But there still some basic things that need to be done, in order to make the edit less painfull.

So please, stop expanding the house by adding new features, and focus on the bed by improving the user experience (Oh my ! :lol: )

That being said, here’s a list of features request, splitted in two parts.

The first one is about things wich make the edit painfull, especially for long time editors.
And the second part is about improvements to make our editor life better ;)

Edit fixes

1) When we drag'n drop a file from bin to timeline, it always moves the playhead at the end of the clip. Would be nice to have an option to not move the playhead.

2) When we select and split a clip on timeline, both parts are selected.
That's unusual, and very unconvenient.

3) The ability to move forward and backward the playhead with the vertical wheel mouse.
And why not, to zoom in and out with horizontal wheel mouse.

4) A next/previous clip/edit that could work with all tracks, even if tracks selector are not active or clip selected.

5) An option to disable playhead snapping, which is too strong.

6) A keyboard shortcut to go to next/previous keyframe of a clip/track selected

7) The zoom behavior when we use shortcut keyboard is weird, not smooth, an different than when we use the timeline slider.

8) Tabs for timelines

9) Consistent shortcuts on all the pages

Improvements

A) More keyboard shortcuts (clip attribute, duplicate timeline, etc...)

B) To be able to add a node to a TextTitle. For grading or fx.

C) Keep transparency of a compound clip.

D) Double-click in media pool to import media.

E) Curves for position keyframe.

F) A shortcut/button to export a still right from the timeline.

G) A new timeline created from a clip could have the same name by default.

H) An option to remove unused footages from bin. (there is a workaround with smart bins)

I) The ability to replace any file by another one.
I'm thinking about offline different sources.

J) mark clips in the edit pool, that are used in the timeline

K) A smart render between In and Out only.

L) A shortcut to add a mark on the timeline even if a clip is selected

M) The ability to navigate between fonts with the wheel mousse

N) The ability to rename shots, not only clip

O) The ability to drag audio/video tracks up and down

P) Clip Color should be reflected in the BIN as well as the timeline.

Q) OFX beeing keyframeable in the edit page

R) Clip attributes (OFX and standart clip settings) saveable and copy-pastable in the edit page.

And for the end, please take in consideration this amazing UI created by Marek Kubik

Thank You BlackMagick, and I sincerely wish you the best for 2018 :)
Last edited by Alex Uzan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignacio de La Cierva

Re: The house is big Enough (Features request)

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 12:47 pm

- Independent mix chanels per video track.
I mean: If you make a transition on any video track, transition afects the whole program.

For instance: You have a long clip in track 1, as background for a composition. In track2 you have dif ferent scaled down clips (the so called picture-in-picture). Now set a push transition between the clips on track2 and see what happens.

This cost me a couple of non-sleeping nights last week, when I found this behaviour and suddenly had to change workflow to use Premiere for a P-in-P layer composition in the project I'm closing.

waltervolpatto

Re: The house is big Enough (Features request)

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Please don't start separate threads with feature requests, there is a big "resolve 15 feature list": copy n paste and consolidate the feature requests there.

Thnaks!

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

- Independent mix chanels per video track.

I mean: If you make a transition on any video track, transition afects the whole program.

For instance: You have a long clip in track 1, as background for a composition. In track2 you have dif ferent scaled down clips (the so called picture-in-picture). Now set a push transition between the clips on track2 and see what happens.

This cost me a couple of non-sleeping nights last week, when I found this behaviour and suddenly had to change workflow to use Premiere for a P-in-P layer composition in the project I'm closing.

- and, as always, POSITION CURVES!!!!!! (this last is so unbelievable...)
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve