Resolve 14 Transitions Grabbing all tracks beneath them

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andrewrobert

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 2:24 am

Hello. I'm a pretty new Davinci Resolve user, and I've had an issue when adding transitions. Whenever a transition is added, all of the clips beneath it also transition. I haven't been able to find a real answer to this on the internet, with one forum post from a while ago(viewtopic.php?t=60611&p=346280), where I don't understand the solution. Is there some reason for this functionality? Is it a bug? is there some workaround?

Jack Swart

Re: Resolve 14 Transitions Grabbing all tracks beneath them

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 am

When you say clips do you mean you add a dissolve to the video track and you also get a dissolve (crossfade) on the audio tracks.

Switch off LINKING.

It is a little chain symbol next to the MAGNET symbol above the timeline

Or under TIMELINE, LINKED SELECTION menu.

Also when you select the cut point to change to a transition, it changes to green to show which tracks will receive the transition.

Alternately you can use TIMELINE, ADD VIDEO TRANSITION without switching off linking.

Also dragging and dropping a transition form the Effects Library will only affect the video track.

Many ways to skin a cat.....
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

andrewrobert

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 am

Thanks for your reply Jack, but fades work fine, only applying to the track they are on, as would make sense. It is transitions from the effects library I'm having issues with. Sorry if that wasn't clear. An image is attached to show exactly what I am talking about this time. Thanks for your help, and I hope that we can get this figured out.
Attachments
resolveimage.PNG
screenshot of problem
resolveimage.PNG (53.95 KiB) Viewed 10828 times

Robert Baker

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

This was a previous problem that I thought was "resolved" in v14 but it has recently affected me as well. In a project I was working on I included an over-the-shoulder graphics which faded in but I needed it to push out. The push affected the main layer beneath. I have been searching for months for a fix since v12. While it is a minor relief to see that this issue is affected others and is repeatable it is a major issue that there is no apparent resolution. No thread I have seen mentions a fix for this problem.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Please make a phone video of your screen showing the tracks and where you place the transform so we can see your issue.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robert Baker

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwgsdh2iw7v83 ... s.mp4?dl=0

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

I've seen that too; don't remember my workaround (except maybe bu locking the track below ? or making it a compound clip before adding trans. to it ?)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Robert Baker

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Sam Steti wrote:I've seen that too; don't remember my workaround (except maybe bu locking the track below ? or making it a compound clip before adding trans. to it ?)

I've tried locking the track below and the problem still occurs. Which track do I make part of the compound clip?

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

It's just what I guess I tried, but making a compound of the title (not the track below) before adding the effect...

Robert Baker

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 am

Sam Steti wrote:It's just what I guess I tried, but making a compound of the title (not the track below) before adding the effect...

Yesterday I tried this method but on a Blur Dissolve transition the tracks underneath were once again affected.

I'm still waiting on a response for DR tech support after my uploaded video.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Robert Baker wrote:Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

Robert, I'm not saying that there is no problem, I honestly don't know.

But you mention Dip to Color in your video as being one of the worst offenders. What would you want Dip to Color to do? Shouldn't it affect the entire image in the frame? Or are you expecting it to only dip the text of the title to a specified color and leave the rest of the image in the frame untouched? If it's the latter, I have to say that I don't ever recall a dip to color working that way.

I hope I'm understanding your issue correctly.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Peter Cave

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I tested this and can confirm the issue. Some transitions in Avid work the same way; the transition effect will affect all visible pixels, even on video tracks below the track with the transition. It's something that used to drive me crazy when editing with Avid.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I *think* the issue here is figuring out when the "issue" is really an *issue*. Probably not very clear, lol.

But here's an example: Like I mentioned in my post above (unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening in Resolve which is entirely possible) a dip to color transition is supposed to affect the entire image, not just the track its applied to.

I thought maybe I was losing it b/c my experience is in Avid. So I also checked in Premiere Pro and indeed, even with video on V1, a dip to black transition applied to the beginning of text on V2 turns the entire frame black, not just the text.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Peter Cave

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:I *think* the issue here is figuring out when the "issue" is really an *issue*. Probably not very clear, lol.

But here's an example: Like I mentioned in my post above (unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening in Resolve which is entirely possible) a dip to color transition is supposed to affect the entire image, not just the track its applied to.

I thought maybe I was losing it b/c my experience is in Avid. So I also checked in Premiere Pro and indeed, even with video on V1, a dip to black transition applied to the beginning of text on V2 turns the entire frame black, not just the text.

It's not dip to colour transitions that are the issue, it's push/slide style transitions and some others.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PeterMoretti

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 am

Peter, I was going off of what was said in this video:

Robert Baker wrote:Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 am

If you can show comparisons of the same effect working differently in multiple other editors we can review.
This hasn't changed for some time so i'm doubting its an issue.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Peter, ,I'm not at the right place and thus cannot show you in a clip, but I could swear that in the first barn transition example of Robert's video, only the title would "open" itself (thus not the girl) on FCP7.

Robert Baker

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:But you mention Dip to Color in your video as being one of the worst offenders. What would you want Dip to Color to do? Shouldn't it affect the entire image in the frame? Or are you expecting it to only dip the text of the title to a specified color and leave the rest of the image in the frame untouched? If it's the latter, I have to say that I don't ever recall a dip to color working that way.

I hope I'm understanding your issue correctly.

Dip to color was just one of a few examples I showed. The push and slide transitions also affect all the tracks.

Robert Baker

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you can show comparisons of the same effect working differently in multiple other editors we can review.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dchb8clc0kdzb ... s.mp4?dl=0

Robert Baker

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 am

Hi, Peter. Any comment about the last video I sent showing how other NLEs operate with transitions on higher tracks?

Robert Baker

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you can show comparisons of the same effect working differently in multiple other editors we can review.

Any comment at all on the following link showing the same effects working in different NLEs?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dchb8clc0kdzb ... s.mp4?dl=0

We are looking for a solution to this issue.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:37 am

Robert, I'm just another user. I did watch your new video and looked at the behavior of the transitions in Resolve. I have to say that it's hard to say what's correct. As I use Media Composer, and it applies transitions to the total image. So that personally makes sense to me.

Now Vegas, Premiere and Resolve all seem a bit inconsistent in this regard. I honestly don't know what the "right" approach is. I think it would be nice to be able to choose either apply a transition to one track or the entire signal.

I thought making a compound clip of the clip and the transition would be a viable way to apply the transition to just that clip. But compound clips don't have blend with the underlying clips using the Normal apply mode. So you see black underneath. Some of the other apply modes do work, and might create a respectable result, especially with a pure white title, Add should work. I do think that improving the compositing of compound clips is something that BMD is working on, as I've seen it mentioned before around here. So maybe a workaround is on the way. But I honestly don't know.

Robert Baker

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Robert, I'm just another user. I did watch your new video and looked at the behavior of the transitions in Resolve. I have to say that it's hard to say what's correct. As I use Media Composer, and it applies transitions to the total image. So that personally makes sense to me.

Now Vegas, Premiere and Resolve all seem a bit inconsistent in this regard. I honestly don't know what the "right" approach is. I think it would be nice to be able to choose either apply a transition to one track or the entire signal.

I thought making a compound clip of the clip and the transition would be a viable way to apply the transition to just that clip. But compound clips don't have blend with the underlying clips using the Normal apply mode. So you see black underneath. Some of the other apply modes do work, and might create a respectable result, especially with a pure white title, Add should work. I do think that improving the compositing of compound clips is something that BMD is working on, as I've seen it mentioned before around here. So maybe a workaround is on the way. But I honestly don't know.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I was reaching out to Peter Chamberlain who requested that I show how the other NLE's handle transitions on upper level tracks.
I've never been an Avid user so I am used to transitions affecting the track they are applied to and only that track. Any other behavior to me is nonsensical.
I'll try a few things and if I come up with a solution that will apply consistently.

Sam Steti

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Robert Baker wrote:Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I was reaching out to Peter Chamberlain who requested that I show how the other NLE's handle transitions on upper level tracks.
I've never been an Avid user so I am used to transitions affecting the track they are applied to and only that track. Any other behavior to me is nonsensical.
I'll try a few things and if I come up with a solution that will apply consistently.

And this is what could be named a "normal" behavior (and as a reminder what was in FCP7 for those who don't know it)

PeterMoretti

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Robert, I did realize you were reaching out to Peter Chamberlain, who is *infinitely* more important than me in the Resolve world... and probably in general, lol!

Robert Baker

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Sam Steti wrote:And this is what could be named a "normal" behavior (and as a reminder what was in FCP7 for those who don't know it)

Not certain I understand the reference to FCP7. How are layers treated in FCPX?

Jack Swart

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 am

FCP 7 did not do this. The effect was only applied to the track it was on. No idea about Avid or CC.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Sam Steti

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 am

Robert Baker wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:And this is what could be named a "normal" behavior (and as a reminder what was in FCP7 for those who don't know it)

Not certain I understand the reference to FCP7. How are layers treated in FCPX?

As Jack told you : effect has an effect on the track it's put on only

Robert Baker

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Jack Swart wrote:FCP 7 did not do this. The effect was only applied to the track it was on. No idea about Avid or CC.

So we have the following info:
Adobe CC: Most Transitions only affect to the track they are apply to
Sony/Magix Vegas Pro: Most Transitions only affect to the track they are apply to
FCP7: Most Transitions only affect to the track they are apply to
FCPX: Waiting for info
Avid MC: Tracks underneath transition can be affected
DaVinci Resolve: Tracks underneath transition can be affected

Can this be something that is changed in DR to operate more like the first three NLE programs? This is something that severely affects my workflow.

Sam Steti

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Robert Baker wrote:So we have the following info:
Adobe CC: Most Transitions only affect to the track they are apply to
Sony/Magix Vegas Pro: Most Transitions only affect to the track they are apply to
FCP7: Most Every Transition only affect to the track they are apply to
FCPX: Waiting for info
Avid MC: Tracks underneath transition can be affected
DaVinci Resolve: Tracks underneath transition can be affected
Fixed

Peter Cave

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 am

FCPX - all transitions affect only the track they are applied to.
Only Avid & Resolve affect lower tracks. The Avid transition behaviour has been an issue for a very long time but has not been changed only to ensure compatibility with older projects.

BMD should change this behaviour as it makes some effects almost useless.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Robb Shaw-Velzen

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 am

This is a big issue for me right now, I am trying to add a video transition to a text track and it also effecting the video track underneath. No link or compound clips here.

vimeo link:

Regards
Robb
Robb Shaw-Velzen ACS
Cinematographer/Director
By George Studios

PeterMoretti

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:17 am

Rob, if you are trying to do a simple fade, you could cut the title in two and add a fade by pulling on the fade handles (little white marks that appear when you hover near the top of a transition).

Alternatively, you could select the title, to open the Inspector, choose the Video tab, and keyframe the opacity.

ExVegasPro

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 am

Robb Shaw-Velzen wrote:This is a big issue for me right now, I am trying to add a video transition to a text track and it also effecting the video track underneath. No link or compound clips here.

vimeo link:

Regards
Robb

Facing a similar issue. I have three video clips in three parallel tracks in a timeline. I am trying have three different transitions (Push Up or Push Down on individual tracks). Resolve either randomly applies effects (screen-shot 1 where it pushes down when the effect is Push Up on a clip/track) or starts clipping images (screen-shot 2, where the video images are entirely clipped instead of pushing down from top).

I was able to achieve this very quickly in Vegas Pro as in this clip at 8 second mark

Looks like a serious limitation if there are no work-around
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-Effects-III.PNG
Randomly clips video instead of Push transition
DaVinci-Resolve-Effects-III.PNG (345.56 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
DaVinci-Resolve-Effects.PNG
Pushes Down instead of Push Up
DaVinci-Resolve-Effects.PNG (637.67 KiB) Viewed 9356 times

Robb Shaw-Velzen

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 am

Thanks for that, the simple dissolve works, see later in the video example. What i am trying to highlight here is the first blur dissolve effect also has an effect on the video layer underneath.

Regards

Robb
Robb Shaw-Velzen ACS
Cinematographer/Director
By George Studios

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 am

I think the target to aim for is to have it switchable as a change like this would severely impact existing old projects. Like you mentioned likely the reason why avid did NOT do it.
And default should be existing behavior. (In fact should be like that for every new feature as we have seen how some new or changed features when switched on during upgrade messed up stuff before with resolve.)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

characterdriven

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, the transitions are causing other clips to get nudged? Having this problem, which is particularly frustrating with still clips when put to music as the time is affected badly. Any solutions out there??

Return to DaVinci Resolve