Video Assist 4K with Nikon Coolpix P900

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chapman Woodriff

Video Assist 4K with Nikon Coolpix P900

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello and thanks for the help in advance!

I just got the Video Assist 4K (yay!) but am having trouble getting it to do anything but monitor my Nikon P900 in Menu mode (tweak menu settings and view photos and video that have been taken on the camer’s SD card).

Either the camera seems to have an issue allowing the lens to be used while it is connected via HDMI...

Or I just don’t know how to configure the VA4K properly!

The Nikon P900, which has a stellar lens I can use to film the moon as well as kitesurfers far offshore and mountain peaks so far away it’s astounding, alas, is not actually a DSLR.

Unfortunately, I live in the woods and don’t have a DSLR around I can test to see if it just magically works.

So I’m a bit baffled as to what to try now, especially since I’ve found no discussion online anywhere about using this particular model with the VA4K.

Anyone out there got any ideas or suggestions? Sure want to get this combo to work as filming with that 83x optical zoom lens in 4K will be quite spectacular!

Many thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 4K with Nikon Coolpix P900

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:45 am

Not going to work. The Coolpix P900 can only display photos and videos already recorded. From what I Romberg and can find out, this camera lacks a live view mode, and some of the entry level DSLRs do not either. While the Nikon 1 will display a live view, it is not a clean one, and you will see the same overlays on an external monitor, that the camera display shows.

Try recording something, and play it back on the camera with the VA connected, and see if you get an image then. Also try this on a TV monitor and yiu can see the resolution the camera is outputting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chapman Woodriff

Re: Video Assist 4K with Nikon Coolpix P900

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 am

Well, Denny, that’s disappointing, but I sure appreciate the feedback.

I guess it’s time to put the P900 up for sale and get a Canon DSLR as they seem far more friendly working with Blackmagic products.

Cheers for the clarification.

Return to Getting Started