Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Performance

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rony Soussan

Performance

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Happy new year everyone!

I have a performance issue. I have recently doubled the speed of my computer, (see test results)
I have done a dozen benchmarks, I have rendered in blender, I have run openCL optical flow tests (not fusion) and this machine is nearly 2x the speed of my previous computer.

Why is a PC that scores and is technically speced at nearly double, only yield 10% increase in Fusion performance?
I had a series of optical flows, defocus, 3D, 2D comps etc.. NOTHING like the performance increase i sese eveywhere else, and in some it was a couple of percentages ponts slower.

I also noticed that fusion is not tapping the CPU's like the old days.. I even did overclock tests and that got a bit faster in fusion, and A LOT faster on same system in Benchmarks test, yet again, almost nothing in fusion.

This was not a cheap upgrade, but yielded poor results. Tested on 2 identical machines (bought a second one to validate tests)

what gives?
Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks
Attachments
MSI.PNG
MSI.PNG (169.6 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ROG.PNG
ROG.PNG (1002.57 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

Kel Philm

Re: Performance

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Rony,

Have you tried turning of OpenCL (Deja vu)? This is usually slower with it on and would explain why the CPU seems to not be making much difference as its pushing processing to the GPU.

Rony Soussan

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 am

Turning open CL off slowed the crap out of optical flow and defocus nodes, so it is significantly faster with openCL, which is a good thing.

Again, the issue i have is that side by side, openCL on/off both machines etc... are almost the same speed under each of these tests in Fusion with new machine getting 10% boost, but Luxmark and many other benchmarking tools are showing massive gains. I'm getting 35% + on CPU easily, and nearly double on GPU. Same for GPU render tests (not fusion).
That is substantial relative to the gains i get in Fusion.

At the end of the day fusion is fast as all hell already, i was just hoping to see bigger gains.

Thanks

PS: turning off OpenCL fixed the tracker crash. Now i can scrub scrub scrub. I don't even think it uses OpenCL, but the 'vanish' doesn't happen.

PS2: Deleted my prefs and now i can scrub with OpenCL on or off.

Ryan Hays

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 5:34 pm

I've seen this as well - in older releases one of memory, disk or cpu usage would max out during a render. This was useful in a way as it revealed what you could address hardware-wise to improve your render times. This doesn't happen anymore, and it appears that system resources are going untapped?

Is DFBench a thing still?

Rony Soussan

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 pm

I doubt that is around, however you didn't really need that, as fusion tended to always tap out cpu and ram of which i thought was by design. I remember users complaining 'fusion takes up all my ram and cpu' etc.. which i would always say 'And?'

I remember DEC Alpha showing off a massive multi-core demo using Fusion as it was the only thing out there tapping CPUs.
is it too soon to say 'back in the day'?

Marin Goleminov

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 am

This is pretty much my experience, too. I just recently added a 20 core monster to my desk for work with fusion, blender and zbrush. Blender is scaringly (x10) fast compared to my previosly used MacBook Pro, maxing out every core, but Fusion? Well it's a little faster, with cpu loads between 3 and 30 %, and some seldom peaks at 70 %.

Hideki Inoue

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 7:24 am

I am not surprised that Fusion's performance does not rise on a new machine. But only yield 10% increase is awful.

I use dual X5690 (12 core) and Quadro K4200. Of course, heavy processing such as Directional blur uses 100%. But about final rendering, Fusion's CPU utilization is roughly 40% and GPU is less than 30%. Render X frames at once is almost useless. I feel Fusion has many bottlenecks.

Can Fusion no longer use many cores effectively? Only clock speed makes Fusion faster? BMD

We need some common Fusion's comps for the benchmark.
Fusion Studio v18.6.4 / DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS / 128GB RAM / Nvidia Geforce RTX 4090 (546.33) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE / 128GB RAM / Nvidia RTX A5000 (536.67) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Sam Steti

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:23 pm

My own little disappointment comes from Fusion's GPU use is so remote from Resolve's one... Thus hard to find a config satisfying both
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion