Problem when editing with compound clips (and timelines)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yan Charbonneau

Problem when editing with compound clips (and timelines)

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi!
Here's the situation... I'm shooting small documentaries with a Canon DSLR that splits files after 4 gigs. So I have multiple video files from interviews. I record audio separately with a Zoom H1. I create a compound clip with all the video files and add the external sound, all trimmed and synced up with a slate. That works fine up to there.

The really annoying thing is that whenever I use the compound clip in the source monitor and do an edit (in/out, even just adding markers), the focus jumps to the timeline in the timeline view. Worst, when I playback and punch in an IN point, the focus changes to Timeline and the playback continues in the Source without the sound... You can see that this slows down my process ENORMOUSLY since I have to give focus back to the source window EACH time! Btw, I did remove the checkmark in the menus for jumping to timeline after edits... It only seems to affect non compound clips.

Any ideas what's wrong with that? Is this a bug? Is there an easier way to create a single clip with the audio and multiple video files that doesn't involve compound clips. The thing is that since it's from a DSLR, I don't want to recompress/reencode again not to loose any quality. And... I need to have the sound synced up. Thank you for any help!
Windows 10 Pro | 32 gigs RAM | Intel i7-i8700 | Geforce GTX1070i 8 gigs | Davinci Resolve Studio 15.3.0.008

Ross Wood

Re: Problem when editing with compound clips (and timelines)

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am

I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me nuts. I have interview cut downs that I've dragged into the source window to edit from, with referenced transcriptions etc, so on paper it should be saving me time. Every time I select an in point on my interview timeline in the source window, the focus switches to the timeline / master window and the sound disappears from the source window. It's a really messy way to work.

Would someone from DaVinci please look at this. I have a one hour doco to edit with multiple interviews cut down and time code referenced that I need to drag into the source window to edit from.

Yan Charbonneau

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Well, I finally decided to recombine my multi 4 gigs files with myFFmpeg and then synced external audio back in with Pluraleyes 4. Seems the less painful way to go...
Windows 10 Pro | 32 gigs RAM | Intel i7-i8700 | Geforce GTX1070i 8 gigs | Davinci Resolve Studio 15.3.0.008

Daz Wood

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Yan Charbonneau wrote:Well, I finally decided to recombine my multi 4 gigs files with myFFmpeg and then synced external audio back in with Pluraleyes 4. Seems the less painful way to go...

you shouldn't have to though :-(
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Tom Early

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:51 pm

syncing external audio should be done in the Media Pool, check the manual for more info
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Yan Charbonneau

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Well, I did try in media pool but since I don't use timecode, I sync with audio (scratch track vs audio recorder) and it fails about 50% of the time... So Pluraleyes it is!

Return to DaVinci Resolve