Resolve 14.2 & Fairlight Bugs & Annoyances

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Resolve 14.2 & Fairlight Bugs & Annoyances

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:43 pm

MEDIA POOL:
1. There is no way to manually “replace footage.” From a selected clip. Conform Lock to Selected clip will work for some functions, but this should be simplified.
2. There is no way to manually re-link an offline clip or clips, pointing it to specific files on the hard drive.

EDIT PAGE:
1. Audio often plays out of sync with the video. It’s almost always out of sync by about a 4-12 frames to a full second.
2. At least once, tried to OPT+CLICK to create a keyframe on an audio clip to rubber-band it. I clicked several times and no keyframes appeared. Then I expanded keyframe editor view using the button in the lower right corner, and all the keyframes I tried to create were now visible in the drop-down view, but still invisible on the audio clip itself. So, I then attempted to use the drop-down view to edit and delete the excess keyframes, and as soon as I selected one and hit the delete key, Resolve crashed.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.23.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.23.46 AM.png (19.92 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

FAIRLIGHT:
1. Audio does not play in sync with the video. It’s almost always out of sync by about a half second or a second.
2. Sometimes when clicking on an audio clip it will not let me delete the clip when using the DELETE/BACKSPACE key.
3. At least once, after highlighting a group of audio clips and then clicking in a blank track to de-select them, they remained selected. Clicked on a single clip and they still all remained selected. I had to click on each clip, then click away for each clip to de-select it.
4. Audio playback will oftentimes crackle (as if distorted or peaking and dropping frames). Scratchy sounding. This is detailed in full in another thread. Suffice it too say it seems to be a software limitation. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68084&p=381444#p381444
5. When duplicating audio clips with speed changes where pitch correction is turned off, and duplicating or copying/pasting the clips, the pitch correction turns itself back on.
6. When clicking on audio clip(s) in the sequence and attempting to move them directly to the left or right, the clips will jump 2, 3, or 4 tracks up when moved at all. If zoomed into a close view, when the clips jump around, they disappear from the view altogether. This is a huge problem. Having to go back to the edit page to move an audio clip (not linked to video) to the side a few frames is a pain. It should be as simple and easy to edit and move around an audio clip, or groups of unlinked audio clips, such as when editing sound effects or music.
7. Sometimes when right-clicking on an audio clip the options (all except “paste”) are disabled. Ive found this occurs when clips are outside the in/out points. When the in/out points are cleared, then I can right-click on the clip etc. Wish this was how it functioned irrespective of the in/out points.
8. After turning on latching for the PAN settings and successfully recording a 5.1 pan effect on a track, I close out the window hitting the X button and the PAN settings do not play. The only time Fairlight correctly pans the audio is when I have the PAN settings window open. After closing the PAN settings window, and re-opening it, the PAN effect is still there with the keyframed motion, but it will not PAN the audio without that window open.
9. Sometimes at varying zoom levels, I cannot click on rubber band effects in Fairlight.
10. Periodically, one track will stop playing audio. Restarting resolve will solve the problem.
11. Periodically a stereo audio clip will play only out the left channel. Restarting resolve will solve the problem.
12. Periodically waveforms will disappear from clips in the sequence.
13. Cannot copy/paste clip attributes such as Volume levels to other clips.
14. Cannot copy/paste clip attributes such as EQ settings, plugins etc to other clips
15. No way to perform PAN controls on an individual clip. This function would be tremendously beneficial.
16. Cannot select multiple audio clips and click the reset button in the inspector (for volume levels for example) and have it apply to all the clips.
17. Patching is completely non-functional. Patches do not work at all. There is no audio throughput This has been reported by other users and with earlier version of Resolve 14.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 14.2 & Fairlight Bugs & Annoyances

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks for the details Michael. Can you document your system and OS too so we can have a chance to try to repo. With three OS and infinite hardware combinations if we can't see the issue on our standard test beds we have no way to guess how you came across the bugs.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Thanks for the details Michael. Can you document your system and OS too so we can have a chance to try to repo. With three OS and infinite hardware combinations if we can't see the issue on our standard test beds we have no way to guess how you came across the bugs.

This is MacOS 10.12.6

In addition to copying or duplicating an audio clip and having it reset the "change pitch correction" to ON despite the original clip it was copied from being OFF, I will also add that when re-linking audio clips where pitch correction is turned off, and it turns back ON when re-linked. So the 45 mins I spent mixing my project on my laptop is effectively for nothing, because after bringing the project back to my desktop and re-linking the media the pitch correction turned back ON. This not only affected the 45 mins of clips I was working on, but the pitch correction for any audio clip in my entire timeline is now turned back ON. Because my timeline 9s 90mins long with hundreds of sound effects clips where I have changed the speed, I now have to start over and re-do the 45mins of work.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 pm

Another issue:

When pasting an audio clip in the EDIT page, the IN and OUT points I had set disappear.

This is a problem when I sent an out point at my current position on the timeline, and I have to go back several minutes into the sequence to fix something, I can do a SHIFT+O to go right back to where I was. When I paste a clip in the sequence however, because my in and out points disappear, I have to manually scroll back to where I was, which can be a tricky endeavor in this large project Im working on with lots of edits going on.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Another Issue:

The button with the three dots in the upper right corner is not functional in the patches window. In trying to fix an audio issue I removed all my patches, not realizing Resolve had setup a patch by default from the Control Room Monitor L&R to the Main Audio Outputs 1&2. So I had no audio output at all. I was hoping to find a reset to defaults function, but since the button didnt work, I dont even know if its there or not. Strangely, closing the project and re-opening it seems to have reset that patch and audio playback resumed as normal.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 9.39.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 9.39.54 AM.png (36.68 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Another Issue:

Switched to the Fairlight page today from the Edit page and I cannot scroll vertically. Im locked in to only seeing 6 of my 30+ audio tracks. Switched back to the edit page, and then back to Fairlight again, still no vertical scrolling. Switched to my web browser, then back to the edit page, then to Fairlight, and now it works.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Two More Issues:

1. Mysteriously, an entire 4 minute section of my sequence had vanished. No clues as to what happened or why. Just completely missing. To solve this I had to go to an earlier backup. It was missing 1-2 hours of work but is the latest backup I have. Opened the sequence, copied the missing section, opened the original project back up, pasted the missing section and... issue two..

2. When pasting the four minute section into Resolve I get this error:
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.33.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.33.15 PM.png (14.35 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

I have tried various things to get this sequence into my original project and no matter what I do I always run into this error message. Resolve will always let me paste the clips and they do come into the project successfully, but then I get this error and cannot save it. So Im stuck.

I tried copying just the audio tracks and those came in fine and I could save the project. When I then tried to copy and paste the video clips, I get the same error again.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Another issue:

In fairlight, my 5.1 pans do not work unless I have the latch control panel turned on. When its off, my 5.1 sound effects only play on the front two speakers.

Same behavior in the EDIT page. If I leave the latch control panel up in Fairlight and go to the EDIT page, it works. But as soon as I turn off the latch control panel in Fairlight, go back to the EDIT page, then it does not work there either. But strangely, it does play out the rear speakers, but equally as the front -- the PAN effect still doesnt work though.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 am

Another spot in my sequence mysteriously disappeared. This time it is only 8 seconds worth, but this is NOT ok to keep happening. Took me all morning to recover and re-do the work I lost last week when 4 minutes of the sequence went missing.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Another NEW issue:

All of the sudden when I pulled up my Pan settings for this 5.1 track, the left speaker (green dot) is stuck on the center channel. The spread is set to FULL so it should go all the way to the left, but it wont move any further left than the center. No idea whats going on here. Tried restarting resolve and it's still stuck. I cannot hit the reset to defaults button because then it will erase all my PAN settings for other clips on that track throughout the whole film.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.26.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.26.22 AM.png (54.33 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Would love to be able to disable clips in the DELIVER page so I can easily render out VFX plates or specific shots, rather than have to go to back to the EDIT page every time I want to turn something on or off.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 am

Also noticed SNAPPING cannot be turned on or off from the DELIVER page.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Another issue:

With Resolve, when I click and drag to select a clip, or just click on the clip, it does not UNSELECT other clips. So if I am zoomed in on the timeline working with one clip, and I click and drag a box around it to delete it for example, I may end up deleting other clips elsewhere on the timeline. Or move clips around up and down etc. I've caught this happening several times and its incredibly dangerous, as it because super easy to mess up the edit. Unless I click a qualifier key like SHIFT to select multiple clips, every single click anywhere on the timeline should UN-SELECT anything else that was previously selected. A small but critical change that can divert a catastrophe, like missing clips or messed up edits.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 am

It would be great if...

There was an INDEX menu available on the EDIT page like there is in fairlight. In particular I'd love to be able to turn off tracks 03-09. Im doing a conform right now from Premiere and Im dragging audio clips down to tracks for different people Ive interviewed and the tracks are all EQd etc. So being able to toggle on/off certain audio tracks in the EDIT page would also be helpful.

On another note... should I keep posting in this thread that is pretty much all me talking to myself? Is this helpful BMD or am I just taking up valuable kilobytes on your server?
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 am

Keep posting.. I'm reading daily.

thanks.. we will get there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Keep posting.. I'm reading daily.

thanks.. we will get there.

Good to know. Thanks!
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Few more issues:

Just brought a new sequence from Premiere into Resolve. The biggest problems I have here are the same problems I had with the beta version. Those being:

a. The audio from Red Camera clips (shot on Scarlet-X) is not in sync. It is very out of sync actually. To fix this I have to reverse match frame ever clip and re-drag the audio (or audio and video) from the source monitor back onto the sequence.

b. Some still images (often times) appear in Resolve in a very different place than they where they were placed in Premiere. Sometimes, more than a minute further in time on the sequence than where they were supposed to be. I experienced this in the beta version as well, however it seems this is drastically improved in 14.2, but still some .jpg images are sliding somewhere in the conform process and over-writing other clips down the sequence, which I have to fix.

In Resolve, my text clips I created in Premiere understandably appear offline. I expect that, but the problem Im having is that when I import a .jpg image into my "STILL IMAGES" bin in the media pool, it automatically re-links all my text clips from Premiere to the imported image. This is somewhat problematic. My text clips from Premiere still say on the clip "VFX" or "STILL IMAGE" or "B-ROLL" etc which are helpful references for me even in Resolve. But if I import a still image (this one is a jpg) then all those offline Premiere clips re-link to the imported image and then my references notes "VFX" or "STILL IMAGE" or "B-ROLL" etc all disappear and it just displays the name of the new image. See before and after images below.

I have also tested this with a .png file and a .psd file importing them into a different bin and can confirm the same results -- it links them to all the offline Premiere txt clips. This also happens when dragging an image from Finder directly into the media pool, and when dragging an image from the Finder window directly into the source viewer. Cant seem to get any image imported into Resolve without it re-linking to the Premiere txt clips.

Update:
Importing a video clip will also also cause Resolve to link the video to the Premiere txt clips. Unfortunately I didn't catch that when it happened, so now I've lost my references. Im going to have to tab back and forth btwn Premiere and Resolve until all the references are re-created correctly in Resolve. +90mins to the conform process.

Before Importing an image into my bin:
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.35.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.35.09 AM.png (14.08 KiB) Viewed 3128 times

After importing an image (called "Travel of Wolf...") into my bin:
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.35.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.35.50 AM.png (18.24 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:57 pm

I have two GUI displays and a third display for video output via the UltraStudio Mini.

Everytime I multi-task out of Resolve to another program that uses both my monitors (such as Premiere), and then multitask back to Resolve, only my main monitor switches back to Resolve. My other display on which I have the media pool, does not switch to Resolve. So in order to get the second display to switch to Resolve I have to alt+tab a second time, then the second display updates to Resolve.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael Tiemann

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I just finished editing a video which I shot on RED DSMC2 cameras using 8K FF resolution and 2K ProRes proxy files. I used the proxy files for all my rough work, then used the Conform Lock to Media Pool feature to switch each clip to its full-res counterpart. There are really two annoyances I have to report:

First: when I select all the clips across the whole project that relate to a specific original media clip and attempt the conform, it doesn't operate on all the clips. So if I've made many little edits, I have to do the conform for each one, which becomes tedious.

Second: after doing the conform, the information in the Inspector window becomes inaccurate. It still says the clip is ProRes HQ 422 instead of r3d. If I click away and then re-select the clip, the inspector tells me the correct information. Resolve should know to refresh the inspector window after a conform operation is done on a selected clip.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 am

I have a large 6k image I need to zoom into a lot and center up. Problem is I cannot center it up, because I cannot move the X Position anymore. I'm maxed out at 1920. Currently my sequence is set to 1920x1080, but that shouldn't cause me to hit a wall when trying to reposition a large image.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 5.15.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 5.15.28 PM.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.53.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.53.42 AM.png (33.81 KiB) Viewed 2776 times

Issue 1:

Slowed down an swish sound. Got it sounding just right. Then copied it a bunch to fit the picture, only to realize, that every time I duplicated the clip, the speed ramp setting for "pitch correction," reset to default. So now I have to right click on 40 clips and manually uncheck "pitch correction" for every single instance. I've reported this before, but the same issue persists. Please change this. Keep the speed change settings inherent when a clip is duplicated.

A short cut key for "change clip speed" settings would be a beautiful thing too.

Issue 2:

I added too many clips so I disabled some. I also need to duplicate this group of sound clips and globally turn down and ramp the volume. Naturally I decide to do a compound clip, only to discover that when playing back the compound clip, it ignores the disabled sound clips and plays them all.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 5:42 pm

resolve is constantly crashing when dragging audio clips around. Different clips. Dragging from the bin to the timeline or moving them on the timeline. Crashes about 25% of the time which is WAY too much. I just get a beach ball and have to force quit the app.

I find that some crashes happen often one I drag an audio clip down and to get it to where I want, I end up dragging it over other clips. It seems to just instantly hang the second I move it over another clip. Then it beach balls. In two different instances, I have been able to crash resolve twice in a row doing the exact same move. I actually have to move the audio clip to the right several seconds, then down, then back to the left to avoid dragging it over another clip. Then it works.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Return to DaVinci Resolve