Studio Camera Talkback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

eric_harrison

Studio Camera Talkback

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 pm

I want to get 2 BMD Studio Camera HD and a ATEM 2M/E Production Switcher and control them over SDI. To do talk back, do I just plug in the headset into the back of my switcher or do I have to get the talk back converter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-Eric Harrison

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio Camera Talkback

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello Eric. The XLR Talkback I/O on the back of the 2M/E is to interface with 3rd party intercom systems. The easiest thing to do is use the Talkback Converter to communicate.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Patrick Cody

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi.

I am planning to purchase 3 Studio HD 2 cameras for a small studio. I need talk back on each camera plus the control room, making for 4 locations total. I have not used SDI for intercom before and I am curious how this works, in terms of signal flow. I will not have a BMD ATEM switcher, and will instead be using my own switcher. That switcher does not have enough open audio inputs to accommodate talk back. Would the ATEM Talk Back converter address that need? How well does it work with switchers other than a Black Magic ATEM switcher?

I am wondering how well the talk back converter would work (if at all) as a router / intercom system if I am not using the ATEM switcher. Are there 3rd party solutions that might be a better fit? And in terms of signal flow, would the SDI first go into the talk back converter and then out to the switcher?

Thanks for any input.

nobleeth

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I am looking for a reply on this as well. I will be using my own switcher but need talkback.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

You do not need to use an ATEM switcher for talkback. The Blackmagic Talkback converter has everything you need to connect to cameras with a built in base station for the director. Just wire SDI video to and from the camera to the Talkback Converter. There is a video out for each camera that you may connect to your switcher. There is a program in that you may connect from your switcher if you like.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Patrick Cody

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Gary-

Please excuse the really long delay in my response. I did not receive any notification at the time you replied, and then I forgot about my inquiry, until just stumbling upon it again (thanks to a Google search). As it turns out, I did end up purchasing the BMD Studio Cameras. Due to budget and certain workflow needs, I did not purchase an ATEM switcher nor the ATEM Talkback converter, instead opting to try to use our existing equipment. I am using a Skaarhoj RCP camera control unit (designed specifically for Black Magic Design cameras). I would like to be able to use our existing RTS intercom system for talkback. I need to get the 2-way analog audio from the RTS to the Black Magic studio cameras WITHOUT the ATEM Talkback Converter. Are there any resources for alternative set-ups like this? Thank you.
Patrick

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 am

Patrick it is do-able.. But to do it good will cost you more money then you had boughed a Talkback converter..

Mixer to camera is easy! Get an audio to sdi embedder and set it up to route 2 audio channels to sdi channel 15 and 16. Put this SDI line into your RCP and now you have audio to the cameras.
You will need to add a box that can interface between 2wire RTS and 4 wire audio line level audio. Prefferable with audio levels settings.

Then for every camera you want to hear at the mixer side.. You need another SDI audio de-embedder. Put between the camera feed justbefore it enters the mixer. Then set it up for audio channels 15-16. Feed this audio into an audio mixer to add them all together to 1 feed. And this feed goes into the that RTS 2W to 4Wire interface to go back onto the Partyline.

All in all this will cost you about 1 Embedder, 4 de-embedders, audio mixer, and 1 to 2 days to get it all set up and working.
Might be much cheaper to pick up an older Talkback converter on ebay for $500 ;)

In both situations you will also need a 2W to 4W interface to run to your RTS system..
You need something like a RTS SSA324 or Clearcom IF4W4
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Hello Patrick. Daniel is correct. It is important to understand that signals are mixed but also side tone suppression is necessary for every feed making this less trivial. The Talkback converters handle all this and still allow a method to interface to 3rd party intercoms. If not using the Talkback Converter, I would suggest using the RTS or Clearcom units at the camera would be a better solution even though it means running a wire (or wireless).

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Patrick Cody

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Thank you Daniel & Gary. I do have audio embedders for going from the RTS to the cameras but I was hoping to find a solution without needing multiple de-embedders from the cameras to the RTS. Having all of those converters, as you point out, make for a complicated set-up. The problem is that I had been looking for a used BMD Talkback Converter but couldn't find one. I just looked on eBay again, and everything I see is in the $2000 - 2500 range. Any ideas on where else to look?
Thanks!

Return to Live Production