Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to use the tracker?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Caleb Rodgers

How to use the tracker?

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 pm

I am following a guide by CGSutra. You can google Fusion-Tracker Tool CGSutra.
I know its for older and the tools will be a bit different. When I get to the part where he merges the bird with the video and right clicks, I don't have a center option for merge 1. Thanks

Ivan Ivanov

Re: How to use the tracker?

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 pm

You need to rightclick precisely on the on-screen center widget when the merge1 is selected(active). Or you can click on the merge node in the flow and then rightclick the "center" line in the tool properties area on the right and choose "connect to" etc.

Caleb Rodgers

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Ivan Ivanov wrote:You need to rightclick precisely on the on-screen center widget when the merge1 is selected(active). Or you can click on the merge node in the flow and then rightclick the "center" line in the tool properties area on the right and choose "connect to" etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Might have saved a shot in my film.

Caleb Rodgers

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:29 am

Didn't save my shot. I am going to hopefully re shoot it.

Sander de Regt

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 10:49 am

Before reshooting, would you mind sharing the shot you have right now?
If it's user error because of the fact that you're new to Fusion, you will find the same issues with your reshot footage.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Caleb Rodgers

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Sorry for just seeing this. Let me show you. If you head to my channel Coolshows101 and watch Video for Backmagic forums, you can see why this won't work. Thanks for your help.

Sander de Regt

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Caleb,
That's a very helpful video.
I take it you're using Fusion free instead of Studio?

Apart from the tracking the first thing to remember is that Fusion can work with transparent images (images that contain alpha channels) so the part where you make the background green to be able to 'key' it in Fusion is unnecessary. If you export the image with a clean background to for example a *.png file or *.tga file or a *.psd file, you can use the embedded transparency inside of Fusion.

Having said that: it's not impossible to fix this, but there is a good chance that you'll have to replace more of the shot than you were originally intending to.
The sliding of your 'patch' has to do with the fact that your trackers are not in the same place perspective wise as your patch is. You'll want to track something that's in the same depth.
For example the hinges of the left 'aluminum foil' door. You can track those and use a still frame from your sequence to copy the left door over to the right door and you'll get a pretty decent result.
From your YT intro I gather you're pretty young, so there is lots to learn.
Feel free to ask, we're here to help.
If you want me to take a look at the shot, to see if I can give you better advice, please upload it somewhere that we can download it.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Caleb Rodgers

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks for the response. I am 23 and have been on YT since 2010, making videos since about 2001. I am using the free version of studio as I don't do much with special effects. I might look at studio since it came down in price, and because I have a shot that might benefit from the Planner tracker. I won't buy now, but the fact that I have a use for the planner tracker means I might have more to come.

My main editing software is Pinnacle studio 20. I might upgrade to 22 when it comes out, if some features are fixed. This is another reason why I don't have Fusion Studio. It will save space if I do all the effects I can in Pinnacle. Doing effects in fusion means exporting the part of the clip that needs the effects, working with it in fusion and exporting that, then importing back into Pinnacle. Presuming I take the Action and Cut parts of the video out, I then have about %180 more space being taken up on my hard drives.

I forgot about fusion using transparency. I wish Pinnacle did that.

Thanks for your helpful response.

Return to Fusion