Sample Rate Trimming

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Sample Rate Trimming

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Is it possible in Resolve 14 to move an audio clip at the sub frame (sample rate) level?

I have a lav recording of a wedding officiant that won't perfectly sync with the camera audio. The different arrival times between lav and camera mic introduce a very minor 'echo'.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Vit Reiter

Re: Sample Rate Trimming

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Yes, it is.

Trim > Slip Audio > Slip Audio One Subframe Forward/Reverse:
(Option-right arrow and Option-left arrow) Slips the audio/video sync of any clip in 1/10th frame increments.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Perfect. Thanks Vit.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 am

Jim Simon wrote:I have a lav recording of a wedding officiant that won't perfectly sync with the camera audio. The different arrival times between lav and camera mic introduce a very minor 'echo'.

What we generally do in sound editing and mixing is to never mix two mics like this together at the same time. We make hundreds (more like thousands) of very quick crossfades between tracks, so you never hear more than one audio source up at the same time. Generally, we find a background track or sound-effects ambience track and leave that up to cover any splices and changes in background noise.

You can definitely slip a track a few milliseconds, but be aware that delay will vary depending on distance. The fix you have in one shot may not work for another shot made at a different angle and distance.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks, Marc.

In this case, I was mixing the lav with nat sound, both of which picked up the officiant. A couple of sub-frame shifts and the echo is gone.

My wedding prices just aren't high enough for me to make thousands of edits. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve