Do you really think your BM camera has too much noise?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Do you really think your BM camera has too much noise?

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 am

Think about exposure:

"Both DPs set the Minis at the standard EI 800 but would occasionally adjust down to 500 or 400 in low-light situations. "If you're doing a low-light scene and you get nervous about noise," says Mullen about artifacts that can show up, especially later in grading, "it's better to drop down the to darken a shot rather than making things look darker by stopping down the lens so you're not robbing the sensor of light. This approach only works," he cautions, "when you are able to work at a lower ISO and are not trying to balance your lighting against a background of limited exposure level." (from "The Impossible-to-Resist, Retro-Yet-Modern 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Creative Planet)

They are not referring to a BM, but the Arri Alexa Mini!
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ryan Payne

Re: Do you really think your BM camera has too much noise?

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 4:24 am

I might be wrong but wouldn't this be the same as crushing down the shadows a bit in post? except that you'll also lower the exposure of the subject?

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 am

I completely agree with that perspective. It's better to light the scene, and lower the ISO to control noise.

Although I realize you weren't referring only to just one BMD camera model, I think it's worth noting that for the Ursa Mini Pro it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison with the uses for which Arri designed the Alexa Mini. One major difference is that the Alexa Mini is not put to ENG use, while the Ursa Mini Pro has been designed in the form of an ENG camera and BMD are certainly marketing it as being able to be used for ENG and documentary, which is very different than shooting under controlled narrative lighting. When the Ursa Mini Pro is put against other s35mm sensors in ENG style bodies, it just does not compare favorably in light sensitivity. Of course, the Ursa Mini Pro does have other strengths. The dynamic range, highlight rolloff and color are all much better than most other s35 sensor ENG style cameras, in my opinion. So, there are trade offs and it is what it is.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 pm

All true ENG cameras have built in noise reduction, but this has been discussed here before.

IMHO, the UMP is not really that much of an ENG camera (AF, exposure control etc.).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography