Automatically join spanned clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Charles Lyons

Automatically join spanned clips?

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 am

Is there any way to automatically join spanned clips? We shot on an Ursa Mini 4.6 and whenever a card fills up mid-shot the camera jumps to use available space on the other card. I now have a bunch of clips that are split in the middle (at the point of the card switch) and can't find an easy way to recombine them for audio sync. I can put them in a timeline together manually and output new clips, but I know some other NLEs have the ability to do this automatically. I've searched multiple times and all I've found are feature requests from a couple years ago, mostly involving the C300. This is fairly common behavior for cameras and given that the Ursa does it I'm surprised that Resolve doesn't appear to recognize spanned clips or have the ability to recombine them automatically. Am I missing something? Or are we just ahead of the editing feature curve?
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

PeterMoretti

Re: Automatically join spanned clips?

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am

I imagine there is probably a solution specifically designed for this for Ursa users.

I do believe that there is a binary copy command in windows that can concatenate media files. Also I believe concatenation can be done using ffmpeg. But even if those work, there should be a less obscure way.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Randalw

PostMon May 14, 2018 7:01 pm

On less advanced cameras like the GH4 the clips are split routinely at 15min intervals. I can easily sync these to the continuous audio file in Premiere but have yet to find a method for this in Davinici. Any help?

Charles Lyons

PostThu May 17, 2018 7:09 am

I still have not found a real solution for this. It's bizarre to me that Resolve doesn't have the capacity to join spanned clips, given that Blackmagic's own Ursa camera will regularly do this whenever you have two memory cards in it and record past the capacity of the first one. I've had to resort to making a timeline with the audio synced to the video clip with the slate, and then adding the second clip to abut the first clip so that the audio is in sync. Auto-sync by waveform should in theory be able to sync audio to the second clip, but in practice I don't think I've ever seen this happen correctly. The second clip (ie, after the span) is invariably way out of sync. And even if that worked, you'd still have two independent clips to deal with when it should just be one.

I did on one or two occasions use a custom script in Automator (on the Mac) to move and renumber all of the DNG files from the second clip into the same folder as the first clip, but it still required a lot of hand-holding and that kind of automated file management is dangerous (definitely duplicate or back up your starting points beforehand).
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Randalw

PostThu May 17, 2018 12:50 pm

I have set all my cameras to the same time stamp (I can do this as all my gear is Panasonic and you can use the remote app on a mobile to sync the time stamps) the digital audio will be stamped close but likely a frame or two off, which I can readjust manually. Is there a way to sync using time-stamping rather than waveform?

Return to DaVinci Resolve