BMD Mini Panel

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BruceLGoodman

BMD Mini Panel

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Are there buttons for setting the in and out points for Dynamics (Dissolves) on this panel?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Goodman

Marc Wielage

Re: BMD Mini Panel

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 am

Unfortunately, no. I made Start Dynamic and Mark double-wide buttons on a side XKeys macro panel, specifically because the Mini Panel lacks these very important buttons.

Here's a lengthy review I wrote on the Mini Panel about 8 months ago, which goes into the pros and cons in a lot of detail:

https://mixinglight.com/color-tutorial/ ... rol-panel/

Note this is a free article on Mixing Light, which is normally a pay site.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michael Tiemann

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Great review, Marc. And some good comments about fixes BMD have made since R14. How's the shoulder pain? Are ergonomics working well now?
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

BruceLGoodman

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks, Marc. That was a thourough review. The panel has a great feel to it but it falls short of my expectations. While I will get used to working with it, it is missing some key functions and the placement of the transport buttons feels awkward to me.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 am

Michael Tiemann wrote:Great review, Marc. And some good comments about fixes BMD have made since R14. How's the shoulder pain? Are ergonomics working well now?

They added some much-needed changes to the panel, including the ability to jump to the first frame or last frame of a scene with the frame-backward/frame-forward controls. And the dimming control is great -- I think I'm running mine at about "3" or so. I'm told that a "sleep" mode is in the works, one that puts a screen saver up after a certain amount of time.

Shoulder pain is tolerable. Got a new chair and I'm sitting better, which is really 60% of it.

BruceLGoodman wrote:Thanks, Marc. That was a thourough review. The panel has a great feel to it but it falls short of my expectations. While I will get used to working with it, it is missing some key functions and the placement of the transport buttons feels awkward to me.

Eh, you can get used to it over time. I hardly think where the buttons are anymore -- I can move pretty quickly on it. I have to admit, though, I'd really flail if I didn't have the macro keyboard on the right. The Timeline and 2X previous / 1X previous buttons get a workout.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve