Driver reset or update coming?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Adam Geoghegan

Driver reset or update coming?

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am

I haven't used the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on any other OS but there seems to be some compatibility issues with High Sierra. Getting the Shuttle to work at all requires spending 15-120 minutes changing settings in Desktop Video, opening and closing applications until you finally get a picture. There doesn't seem to be any trick to it, it's random when it decides to work. Once it does finally work, when the application is closed it no longer works until you restart the computer and then go through the 'get it to work lottery' again.

There are no words to express to regret I have buying this device. It’s expensive and extremely unreliable. I have already contacted The Streaming Guys in AU about a refund but they say they will have to test it and decide. I have already paid far too much money for what so far is a useless device, I'm not paying more for postage just for them to say it’s fine.

Is there any way to reset the drivers on Mac without restarting the computer? Or even better, is there an update coming with drivers that are stable and High Sierra compatible?

I bought this device based on the compatibility with 3rd party applications but when I can get it to work at all, Blackmagic Media Express is the only application that gets picture, which is useless to me

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Driver reset or update coming?

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Desktop Video. After this, you should be able to select "Allow" Blackmagic Drivers within the security and privacy of your system preferences. There is an additional bug that may prevent this from working if the steps above were followed—a workaround is to immediately reinstall Desktop Video, no uninstall is needed this time around.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Adam Geoghegan

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. "Allow" Blackmagic Drivers within the security and privacy was there initially, its does not show up again after reinstall.
I should also add that this is in reference to HDMI capture. Analog capture has never worked at any point in time. The Blackmagic shuttle gives a blue or black screen, unplug the cables and plug them into an elgato and it works fine.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

In regards to the ingest of the unit, is the source output one of the formats the Shuttle supports? If you aren't certain, you can verify this on the tech spec page and of course, knowing the output of your source.

As for further troubleshooting, you may want to contact your regions support office for additional guidance on this.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Adam Geoghegan

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 am

Yes, it is a format that the shuttle supports. I have come to conclusion this device is not worth the effort. Even when it does work the audio drops in and out. This is on a top of the line 2017 MBP so if that is not fast enough, its a problem on the design end, not mine
The driver crashes a few time a week with different errors, here's one. If you're registered with Apple you might receive more as they are sent to Apple via diagnostics.
Code: Select all
Crashed Thread:        3  Dispatch queue: com.blackmagic-design.desktopvideo.XPCServiceDispatch

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Now I'm just going to decide whether to cut my losses and stick the shuttle in the bottom draw or send it back and demand a refund. I paid via paypal so starting a dispute sounds like a viable option.

Return to Getting Started