All Edits missing from All Versions of Timelines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shanemario

All Edits missing from All Versions of Timelines

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 am

This is strange. I open a project that I was just working on a day ago and now all content on the video and audio tracks are gone (see attachment). And the video tracks are completely missing from the Edit page, only 1 empty audio track is showing.

I created an separate Timelines folder. Inside I placed an "old" folder with all the old versions of the edit. I am on Version 5 of the Edit. I look inside the old folder and all Timelines are the same- missing the video and audio with only 1 audio track visible.

I opened a differently named timeline (BRoll Selects) and it's all there in the same project. All timelines with this name are missing all video tracks as if someone deleted all video tracks and all audio tracks except 1...and deleted it from all timelines.

Other data:
I did not open other timelines until I noticed the missing data from Edit V5.
LiveSave was enabled
It's set to Open last project I was working on
Media is on a USB-C Drive
I opened the file earlier today without the USB-C drive connected and showed someone the edit then closed it (without saving but LiveSave was enabled)

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
MacBook Pro 15 - 2017
3.1 Ghz Core I7
16Gb Ram 2133 MHz
Resolve 14.2
/user/shane/movies is first drive location and has .gallery

Any ideas what happened to my edits or how I can recover these timeline edits?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.59.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.59.43 PM.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.59.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.59.51 PM.jpg (71.47 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.48.59 PM.jpg
This is what it looks like upon opening.
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 9.48.59 PM.jpg (149.71 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
---
Shane Mario Ruggieri, CSI
Sr. Production Eng • Colorist • Author
Dolby Labs

Centos v7.3
2x 16-Core Xeon E5-2697A V4
64GB RAM
4x M6000 24GB
Resolve St 16.1.2
Dolby Vision

MacOS 10.14.6
MacBook Pro 15 2017
3.1 GHz I7
16 GB RAM
Resolve St 16.1.2

Marc Wielage

Re: All Edits missing from All Versions of Timelines

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 am

That's very mysterious. Needless to say, this should not happen.

I'm extremely paranoid, so I have not been using LiveSave, on the theory that if I had any kind of weird system crash outside Resolve, it might affect what's being saved. (But then, that could always happen depending on bad luck.) I've been auto-saving every 20 or 30 minutes, or whenever I remember to hit command-S. (I actually have a macro key for this on a side panel, since it's not available on the Mini Panel.) They have improved the save times drastically since 12.5, to the point where it's generally only a second or two.

My only advice is that I typically will export XMLs and DRPs for everything I work on, usually once after I've made sure the conform is good, and then a DRP at the end of each work day. I almost never have to use them, but it happens once in a blue moon. In a mission-critical client-supervised session, I typically export a backup once during a meal break and once at the very end of the day.

BTW, I don't use a Timelines folder per se, but I do check off the "Use Timeline Bin" option in Project Settings -> General Options. I set things like this up as a template so I never have to worry about it being checked.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Shanemario

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 am

Marc Wielage wrote:That's very mysterious. Needless to say, this should not happen.

I'm extremely paranoid, so I have not been using LiveSave, on the theory that if I had any kind of weird system crash outside Resolve, it might affect what's being saved. ...

My only advice is that I typically will export XMLs and DRPs for everything I work on, usually once after I've made sure the conform is good, and then a DRP at the end of each work day....

Odd indeed Marc. I sent the .DRP and Log to BMD and they are looking into it. It baffles me. Especially
the part where only and every timeline with that name was empty and devoid of video tracks... :shock:

I now will too use the XML and DRP daily idea.. do I owe you a fee for that? :). As a backup measure for security, that's sound advice I wish I had last week :) nonetheless, I appreciate having it now.

I'll update the thread one I hear back from BMD.

Shane
---
Shane Mario Ruggieri, CSI
Sr. Production Eng • Colorist • Author
Dolby Labs

Centos v7.3
2x 16-Core Xeon E5-2697A V4
64GB RAM
4x M6000 24GB
Resolve St 16.1.2
Dolby Vision

MacOS 10.14.6
MacBook Pro 15 2017
3.1 GHz I7
16 GB RAM
Resolve St 16.1.2

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 6:06 am

Yes let us know if they have a chance to analyze the DRP and figure out what happened. You wonder if there's some kind of corruption that would fracture the XML underpinnings of the project.

I have not exactly had this happen, but I did have a case about 18 months ago where a client gave me kind of a dodgy FCP7 XML and I used it to conform 5 20-minute reels of a movie. One (and only one) of the reels had a problem where if I applied a title and moved the title left and right, BOOM... it'd crash every time. If I cut and pasted the files into a new project, it still happened.

I finally wound up exporting a new XML from Resolve, bringing that one timeline back in to a new project, then applying the color grade through ColorTrace. And the new timeline/new project was flawless and wouldn't crash at all.

So I didn't lose the timeline, but I suspect it was corrupted in such a way that there were issues with changing it, once it was imported. Very frustrating.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

lth0ms0n

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

So I fired up Resolve this morning to continue working on a project I've piled 3.5 hours into, so far, and I've had the same problem - all my edits are gone, as is the timeline.

I KNOW I saved it, I save religiously throughout the process because Resolve has been known to crash on me unexpectedly using my MacBook (I don't know why, Audio Syncing usually is the culprit) and I've just gotten into the habit of doing it when the header is yellow.

I've tried to restore it from a Time Machine back-up from last night but that didn't work... What's weird is the DB file is around the same size as an earlier project which is similar to this one (I make YouTube videos) so it's like the content is there, the application just isn't seeing it?

Any ideas? Am I going to have to do this all over again?

Lewis

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Try to make a copy of the database and optimize the database, it might clean it.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

lth0ms0n

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 3:19 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Try to make a copy of the database and optimize the database, it might clean it.

How do I optimise the database, I assume that’s a menu option within resolve itself?

lth0ms0n

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 4:02 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Try to make a copy of the database and optimize the database, it might clean it.

So, this is getting more and more interesting (read:frustrating)

I have an upload deadline so, in the meantime, I thought I'd create a new project and just get on with it. I renamed the previous one to differentiate, created a new one, synced the clips and created a new timeline. Did a quick cut and thought to save, close and open it again - to see what happens.

You guessed it - project take 2, no edits. No timeline. No sync.

I've noticed that the application takes a really long time to close down. I can't see an option anywhere, and have done a Google for instructions on how to optimise the database, but I'm not finding anything.

What's causing this?! It now means that another edit that I started doing earlier today has also not been written correctly - or, if it has, I'm not able to find it.

Lewis

bbizzle

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm having this same issue - twice in a row now on 2 projects/autosaves/drps. I don't want to edit again if it keeps loosing my timelines. I'm ashamed that I purchased a studio version of the software now as I probably will never use this product again unless this gets permanently resolved.

Return to DaVinci Resolve