14.2 Cannot Import Projects - Paid vs Free version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Steve Swisz

14.2 Cannot Import Projects - Paid vs Free version

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

For viewing purposes we would Export a project that contained versions edited and colored for the purpose of review or viewing.

Well we have the paid version that the operators use, but we have the FREE version installed everywhere so that anyone could simply import the project to review, but now we get a pop-up that tells us we need to buy a copy.

This really stinks these people are not doing any work on or in the project, please return the ability to export and import project from STUDIO to NON-STUDIO versions!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: 14.2 Cannot Import Projects - PAID VS FREE Version

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 am

Your project must have some feature that is only in the Studio version so when you try to play it in the free version the popup shows the need for the Studio features.

You can test this with a new project with one clip and primary grade to show you can move Studio projects to play on a free system.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

Re: 14.2 Cannot Import Projects - Paid vs Free version

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 am

Steve Swisz wrote:This really stinks these people are not doing any work on or in the project, please return the ability to export and import project from STUDIO to NON-STUDIO versions!

Call me crazy: just spend the money and buy another copy. Bear in mind many of us spent $995 for this program over the last 7 years. And it was over $100,000 before that. Be glad it's so inexpensive now -- don't be angry that all the features are not free.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Steve Swisz

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Hey Peter can we export and send you a project example because we do not see any STUDIO ONLY FEATURES enabled.

Marc - I work at NBC Universal and Davinci Resolve has been purchased on many of the stations here.
That is not the problem, it just worked out to install the free version on a bunch of IMACs and export / media manage to a drive only what they need to view. We no longer needed to stop a colorist or anyone else to load/set this up.
It takes more time to Export a file or create a AAF and have someone not from our world to relink to that media.

:idea: The ability to export a Project was a huge help to what we do here, Motion Picture Trailers and TV spots.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 pm

is your project 4K?...that might be the "studio element" you are missing.

I send projects back and forth from free to paid all the time, so something in your project is from the studio version.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Steve Swisz wrote:This really stinks these people are not doing any work on or in the project, please return the ability to export and import project from STUDIO to NON-STUDIO versions!

I'm using 14.2 and can bounce back and forth between the Studio and Free version no problem. As a matter of fact I just did that yesterday for a film I'm working on and Resolve free opened up the DRP file without any issues.

Are you sure something else isn't going on?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Chip.Murphy

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Surely Comcast can afford another $300 dongle.

But if not, make sure your resolution is 2160p or less and that there are no motion effects on it.

Steve Swisz

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 pm

"Buy another dongle" not helpful at all please do not chime in unless you can help. :evil:

For those of you have gave valuable advice thank you, the Project size is 1920x1080 I just created a Export of the project and sent it to Peter C.

Steve Swisz

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Just to let the rest of you know, we were told that we have a Stereo Seq in our project.
But we cannot find any 3D Timelines so maybe the issue is having 3D clips in the project.

Not really sure but what we did was make a VIEWING ONLY project and we just copy and paste the media or timelines into that project and then export.

Steve Swisz

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm

"Hi Steve,

for this project, if you make a smart bin in the media pool, and look for all stereo clips, convert all those to separate eyes, that should make it into a non stereo project. i know thats a number of steps and i agree we should look into the process to review on Lite systems but thats all I can suggest today.

Peter"

Return to DaVinci Resolve