New user

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

David Johnson

New user

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,
Straight to the point on this one,
New into video at this level.
I have 3 times Canon 70D which i have used for a while now, myself i have been using iMove as quick and simple for say Social Media.
The guys in the use Adobe Prem..

Looking around i wanted to do better with shots and offer more to our customers with better video for there websites. spent up with the insipre 2 drone and now i have bought the full size BM URSA unit.

This machine is heavy.. but i like it and was a great price, stand on way, Cfast card to SSD adapter and sony Vmount VCT-U14.

The only thing i do not have yet is a all rounder lens, until i can afford better and battery pack.
the unit is default as it came with no firmware upgrade as yet.

Help needed is:
Do i update the firmware?
What do i need for battery?
Can anyone recommend a lens please?
the guy who i bought the unit from works at the BBC, (won awards etc) he says the Samyang lenses are great, softer (the ladies like it as not so sharp) then go for the 2.8 but looking around i am puzzled which one to get.
Sorry all budget it not great at the moment.

rick.lang

New user

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

David, I’m getting pretty rusty recalling the details on your camera, but can you use the same lenses you have on the Canon 70D? If the lenses are all EF-S, you should still be able to cover the sensor on the original URSA 4K camera—the 4K sensor is slightly smaller than the Canon sensor.

By the way, the recommended plate is the true Sony VCT-14. The VCT-U14 may or may not work with the URSA. If possible return it and get the VCT-14.

You should probably get a V-lock battery plate compatible with the URSA. There are a lot of reputable V-lock batteries, with a wide range in capacity. You want a battery that supplies at least 14.8 volts or higher. Voltage drops as you shoot and the camera may shutdown if voltage gets below the recommended 12 volts.

If you’re flying, the Li-ion battery should not exceed 100 WH. I use a 270WH battery that lasts me a day’s shoot on the URSA Mini 4.6K camera. Your camera draws more power though so you may need two batteries if you buy the smaller batteries depending upon your shoot. If you’re in a Studio, use the mains power with the included power adapter.

On the BMD Support webpage, click on the camera tab and then scroll down to find the URSA manual and last URSA firmware update. The URSA manual should read read carefully and that will help answer many of the questions you’ll have.

Did you also get the Resolve (Studio) dongle that was included with the original URSA? If not, download the free Resolve which is nearly a full implementation of Resolve. The Studio version is relatively inexpensive if you do need those additional features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

David Johnson

Re: New user

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Rik,
I did post a reply not sure if it has to be approved again.

Anyway i have a few Canon fit lenses, Samyang 10mm F/2.8 CS AS NCS ED Lens and the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and few others, keeping an eye out for a cine lens or something that would be good at a festival, getting the stage, bands and the crowd.

Did the software upgrade, systems says 2.5 and up to date when i plug in the USB cable and start BM camera setup software app.

One part i am stuck on, i wanted to test 150Fps or even say 100fps but in the settings it is not going above 60fps, have i done something wrong? is it the CFast card?

Many Thanks
Dave

rick.lang

New user

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 pm

There are two ways of setting frame rates. You are likely trying the normal frame rate that would be associated with your normal playback rate. For example sports can often be shot at 50 or 60 fps for playback at that rate. There is an additional ‘off-speed’ frame rate that can vary from as low as 5 fps on your camera to as high as 120 or 150 fps depending upon your resolution selected. If you shoot 4000x2160, the max is 120 fps I think. If you shoot HD 1920x1080, the off-speed rate is higher. You set the off-speed On or Off in the Menu. If On, then you’ll see the very small or larger frame rates.

Let’s say your video is at a playback recording rate of 30 fps and you set the off-speed rate to 120 fps. Then the video will playback in 4x slow motion. If your off-speed was set to 15 fps, then your video will playback 2x fast motion, double speed.

With the latest Resolve 14, the timeline frame rate can be as high as 120 fps for playing back your deliverables at 120 fps.

The most important factor in selecting a suitable lens depends upon how you want to use it and the focal lengths that are appropriate for that. You may find your 10-22mm lens that you’ve used for events is still a good choice. Try it on the camera. If you want a cine style lens, how much longer do you want it to be? The 24mm Samyang/Rokinon T1.5 lens has low contrast wide open, but improves a lot if you’re going to shoot at T2.8. The 35mm version has better contrast and might be good as well. It all depends on how close or far you are from your subject typically.

When you get more room in your budget, the Sigma 18-35mm is a very popular lens in either the cine style or the still photography version.

Canon’s 17-55mm f/2.8 is also popular and has a greater zoom range, just verify it works with the original URSA. There are lists of compatible lenses on this forum. Some are specific to the URSA Mini such as the Canon 17-55mm with the latest firmware for the URSA Mini but that’s not a guarantee it works on the URSA. Someone hear hopefully will comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Getting Started