Decklink Duo 2 - How to set all ports to input

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Bobby Mah

Decklink Duo 2 - How to set all ports to input

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello all,

I have a Decklink Duo 2 and when I connect a video source to 1st and 3rd from the top ports I do not get any video. It only works in the ports which are 2nd and 4th from the top. Why is that and is there a programmatic way via the SDK to have the 1st and 3rd accep the inputs?

Thanks for all your answers.

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink Duo 2 - How to set all ports to input

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Bobby -
This capability allows the card to provide 3 functions - All 4 in or out, full duplex set of 2 channels in and out, or mix of fill and key.

You must either use the desktop video utility or the SDK to set the port function and define if it has any special characteristics. The SDK specifically details this function in the SDK manual pages 40-43.
It is section 2.4.11 .

The programmer specifies in the SDK if it is full duplex (simultaneous capture and playback or half duplex). In your scenario, all ports would be half duplex all set to input. Decklink DUO 2 will show up as Subdevice zero as SDI 1 and continuing to Subdivide 3 = SDI 4. If you are not using internal key or fill and key special functions -it is straight setting in the utility or the SDK.

Matt Jefferson

Bobby Mah

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Thank you Matt for the answer.

I am using the 10.7 SDK and in the Desktop Video utility I do not see any setting to set it to half duplex. In the SDK I do succeed in setting the port to half-duplex for 1 & 2, but when I do the same for 3 & 4 using the same steps as for 1 & 2

Code: Select all
IDeckLinkConfiguration *pDeckLinkConfiguration = nullptr;
hr = pDeckLink->QueryInterface(IID_IDeckLinkConfiguration, reinterpret_cast<void **>(&pDeckLinkConfiguration));
hr = spDeckLinkConfiguration->SetInt(bmdDeckLinkConfigDuplexMode, bmdDuplexModeHalf);

hr has the value 80004001.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

DrewDahlman

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I have the exact same issue - BMD support said that you should be able to set them to inputs using the Desktop Utility but I only ever see ports 2 & 4. 1 & 3 do not show up in DU or in the SDK for me.

Windows 10, PCIe x 16

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi Bobby,

This setting is present in the Desktop Video Utility on the 'Video' tab, under the 'Connector Mapping' heading.

The behaviour described when attempting to configure duplex mode on the paired sub-devices is the expected behaviour.

As described in detail in SDK manual section "2.4.11 Configurable duplex mode", duplex mode is configurable on the first device of the paired sub-devices only.

The duplex mode of the second follows from the first, please see the table in the mentioned SDK manual section for more detail - briefly, if the first is configured as half-duplex, the second is half-duplex, if the first if configured as full-duplex, the second is inactive.

Hope that helps clarify,

-nick

Camilo Garcia

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Hello everybody,

Is it possible to have 3 in 1 out?

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 am

Hi Camilo,

It is absolutely possible to have 3 in and 1 out with the DeckLink Duo 2.

In this scenario each sub-device is configured as half-duplex / mapped to a single connector, and the controlling application can use each sub-device in any combination of in/outs.

Cheers,

-nick

Camilo Garcia

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Thank you very much Nick!

Now to keep searching if it will work in a pcie x16, I just can´t find a motherboard with x4 or x8 all 6th gem come with only x16 and x1.

Nicholas Gill

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 am

Hi Camilo,

The DeckLink Duo 2 is a PCIe x4 device, and will work in PCIe x4, x8, & x16 slots.

Cheers,

-nick

Camilo Garcia

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Thnak you very very much Nick, I will go ahead and but it!

Ismo Santapukki

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi!

I have installed Decklink Duo 2 and Desktop Video Software version 10.9.5. I am now trying to set all port as input.

In all instructions which I have found there is mention that this can be done with Desktop Video Software in Video tab and under Connector Mapping, but I cannot find Video tab in version 10.9.5. There is only Video Output, Video Input, Conversion and About tabs.

Where I can find this Connector settings nowadays?

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Ismo
You can use the video utility to set sub Device zero known as SDI 1, then sub device 1 is SDI 3 and Sub device 2 is SDI 2 and sub device 3 is SDI 4.

Do you see round icon under Decklink Duo name open desktop utility? Click on it and you will see Decklink Duo 1 settings. Then scroll down to connector mapping. To connect to second device, click on grey arrow half way down on right side of screen to get to Decklink Duo 2(second virtual main device)
Remember to scroll down to see this option as sometimes desktop resolutions prevent you from seeing this section. If you need pictures, pm back and I will send them.

You can then use Media Express by choosing your subdevice and using capture tab in mediaexpress to capture video by selecting the device at top of media express. The Inputs on Duo 2 are automatic mode detection and so you do not have set input format.

Contact regional support from the main company contact section of our website if you cannot make this work for you.

JohanBlome

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 4:07 pm

I have the Decklink Duo 2 with all the inputs have a connector mapped in the deskop utility.
However, only input 1 and 3 will give a video signal (but they work flawless).
Does this mean my card is broken? Is there any debugging that can be done?
I am on Ubuntu with kernel 4.7.

Johan

Matt Jefferson

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Johan-
The duo 2 should show up as four connections. They start at zero and the numerate 1, 2 and then 3. That is equal to connectors 1 to 4. Do you see four connections when you click on the Desktop utility list icon?

The bottom of the connectors is the reference input and it is closest to the pciexpress slot connector.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-31

Did you see both Decklink Duo 2 (1) and Decklink Duo 2 (2) ? You need to click select the right arrow on main page to get to second device. (grey in color on right side of window) to get to second device. The default state is comptability with original Duo so connector show up as connector 1 input and connection 2 output using second decklink

You might need to call in for support if you are not able to see the devices to determine if the board has any issues.
Matt J

JohanBlome

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks Matt!
It turned out that upgrading to the latest Desktop Video solved it. Did not work on 10.8.4 but 10.9.5 did.
Was a bit fooled by the message that my software was up to date. Seems to only indicate that the Desktop Video and the fw on the card agrees on which version they use...
Johan

Ismo Santapukki

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Matt (and others)!

I found the reason for my problem with Decklink Duo 2 ports settings.

The computer which I had ordered with ready installed Decklink Duo card, was installed with Decklink Duo, not with Decklink Duo 2 as planned. This was the reason why I couldn't find Connector tab in Desktop Video Software and not able to change all ports to be input mode. It took me quite long time to notice that card is not right one, because both card looks similar outside when installed in computer.

Thanks for your help. After your answer I started to think which I card I have finally received.

Eric Doss

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

Hello,

I have a ASUS ROG G750JX Gaminglaptop and it has a minidisplayport that is an "optional" thunderbolt port as well. My black magic mini recorder works perfectly fine with my pc, however I have a decklink duo 2 pcie express card installed in a magma expressbox thunderbolt expansion. I know the magma expansion box works, as I've used the same thing with a Mac.

Problem is on my pc, the device manager recognizes all of the decklink stuff under video controllers. No errors. Resolume sees it as 1 capture device, not 4.

The desktop video software doesn't see the decklink and as a failsafe, I've installed the bmd software on my wife's Mac and the decklink is not recognized there either. Figured if I could get in desktop video and see the device, I could set it to what it needs to be in order to capture 3 inputs.

Please help! I have 3 days to figure this out!!! :cry:

Return to Software Developers