Blackmagic Duplicator 4k clip sizes and names

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Lee Schrader

Blackmagic Duplicator 4k clip sizes and names

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 pm

So, I assumed because the SDHC cards format as ex-fat, that I would not have to deal with pesky file size limits when recording, and I could truly hand out a 'finished' product to people after a live event. My hope was misplaced it seems. While the file sizes are slightly different (15.6GB, 15.2GB 15.6GB 14.8GB 15.02GB, etc) the time on these separated clips is all 1:23:17 before it begins recording a new clip. What? Why? I can't find any documentation of this. Maybe I've missed something obvious and this is a stupid question, but if not, man...I'd really like to hand out these SD cards to people who are technology impaired and enable them to just watch the unbroken 2 hour event.

Also, is there an easy way to not have it name these clips: Blackmagic Duplicator 4K [0000].mp4, etc?

It just seems if this is going to be marketed as a 'duplicator' to hand out media right after an event, these two things are possibly deal breakers for my audience.

Anyone with some insight?

Linden deCarmo

Re: Blackmagic Duplicator 4k clip sizes and names

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 am

We're thinking about getting a duplicator for our church. Are you indicating that recordings that are longer than 90 minutes get split into multiple recordings? Are you recording in H.265 or H.264? 720p, 1080p or 4k?

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 am

Lee Schrader wrote:I'd really like to hand out these SD cards to people who are technology impaired and enable them to just watch the unbroken 2 hour event.

Our primary audience is the technology impaired folks that want a copy of our services. :D They currently purchase DVDs from us but we're trying to figure out an HD distribution format). What has your experience been like providing SD cards to this target audience?

Andrew Martin

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

This was the deal breaker for us, also
The duplicator is a great idea, but splitting file sizes and having a meaningless file title was the reason I am yet to purchase. As you, the whole idea of the product is to hand off copies of the recording to non-tech. persons at the venue. As always the marketing dept and engineering depts aren't talking to one another as the marketing tells it differently :-)

A.

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am

Andrew,

Thanks for the update. I was suspected due to the lack of response to your question that the issue wasn't resolved. If you've not purchased, how did you find out the files were split?

This problem seems like a typical 1.0 product w/some critical missing features. Hopefully, there's another h/w revision (or some s/w patches) that address the limitations. For me, the biggies are:

• Lack of offline duplication
  • This issue (split recordings)

Andrew Martin

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am

Well it's become typical of BMD to announce features that aren't actually capable in the equipment on release and stating after purchase that they'll become available after an update. Been happening quite a while now.. it seems engineering and sales / marketing speak differing laungauges or maybe don't talk at all. As quite often what's on the product pages don't match the capabilities of the product.

Re info.. we had one on loan after a thread running parallel to this one, where the purchaser is questioning the split files and generic BMD duplicator 0.001 file naming he's seeing on his unit had me second guessing the features. And yep, found it to have split files with generic naming, so it went back.

We continue the old ways of making a parallel hibit rate MP4 h264 recording at the venue (along with the client recording) and gather names contact no.s and addresses of persons interested in having copies. Having the MP4 recording makes it a simple copy paste job on the cards / drives etc. without having to re-render anything and then mail it out, after the event. It would be so much easier if the duplicator actually worked as described on the marketing pages

A.

Lee Schrader

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Sorry for the late reply, Linden. I got a little busy at the beginning of the Semester.

Andrew confirmed it, but yes...at 83 minutes and 17 seconds the file splits every time for us. H.264 and 720p. Fortunately, the event (College Commencement exercises) I was testing it on for duplication type purposes, was only 74 minutes...so I got lucky this time. This semester commencement will be longer, so yeah...not a viable option really. It still named the file: 'Blackmagic Duplicator 4K [0000].mp4' Really not great for Grandma wanting a copy of her Granddaughter's Graduation.

We also wanted to use it to record sporting events and hand the SD card off to opposing team coaches right after the game ...who need to get a copy of the game according to our conference rules. They aren't really any better audience than grandma for the split file and generic name.

So, it's just not good. I hope a patch or something will...fix it or something. I'm probably delusional. :) Great idea, but fumbled it at the end...

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 pm

The recording's filename can be changed from the Duplicator software tool as stated on page 19 of the manual.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Lee Schrader

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks, Tony. Not something I saw upon perusal. That will be helpful the next event we use it for.

Gary Cruz

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:18 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:We're thinking about getting a duplicator for our church. Are you indicating that recordings that are longer than 90 minutes get split into multiple recordings? Are you recording in H.265 or H.264? 720p, 1080p or 4k?

I contacted Blackmagic support and got this answer:

I have tested the Duplicator 4K in our lab. Set the format to H.264 Low. I fed the 1080i59.94 video. The card is SDXC 256GB. I have got broken up clips. Clip duration limited by 2:26:23. This is a limitation of RAM as per design. I will be more than happy to log this as a feature request. The size for HD H.264 Low 02:26:23 is 8.98 GB on disk.

Ed_Mantle

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Did I read correctly that the recent update means "append record" is now a thing? If so presumably that solves a lot of issues for people up-thread? (i.e. just sending out single long files instead of multiple shorter files?)

I came here actually to ask how long (roughly) it would take to duplicate a set of 25 cards. Presumably, they're not recording as-live like an old fashioned linear tape deck but effectively copying data across like a file transfer. So the speed would be basically the speed of the SD media you're using?

So 25 x 90mbp/s 128GB full cards could conceivably be ready in 20-30 minutes or so? There's no slow down with bandwidth being shared across multiple cards? And similarly, if you're daisy-chaining multiple Duplicators together via SDI + RS422 then you're getting similar speeds?

Return to Live Production