Can windows read OS X files?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James McDonagh

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 am

Hey guys,

As we all know we are given two options when we first format a card: OS X and exFast. If I pick OS X and record on an SD should I expect my windows 10 laptop to be able to read the SD card or would I need a Mac?

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 am

MacOS includes software to recognize DOS/Windows FAT and exFAT directory structures. If Windows has code to understand HFS+ or APFS, then it could read the OS X directories and files too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Thomas Seewald

Re: Can windows read OS X files?

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

I installed a driver for reading, writing and formatting Mac-media at PC. I needed it for my Hyperdeck SSDs in the past. Works fine.

It is MacDrive from MediaFour.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

James McDonagh

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Hey guys, just so you know my laptop could not read the OS X file at all and that was the problem.

Colin Barrett

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 am

It's not the ability of your Windows PC to read "OSX files" that you're having a problem with. The problem is whether your PC can recognise certain hard drive formats. The files on them are irrelevant to your problem.

In my business I run 6 MacOSX systems and two Windows 7 PCs. My near-line storage devices are all formatted Mac OS Extended because this is best for the work that my Macs are required to do. I can't then plug those drives into either of the PCs because Windows won't recognise the drive format. However, if I were to write those files to an eXFAT formatted drive they could.

Several HDD drive makers (eg: Seagate) now include software on the drives themselves that enables write/read by MacOSX, Windows and Linux.

There are solutions, as hinted at above. You just need to do a bit of research.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Getting Started