Blackmagic Camera 1.5.0 for BMPCC

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Leon Berenschot

Blackmagic Camera 1.5.0 for BMPCC

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am

Hi ya'll!!

Bought a secondhand BMPCC which has firmware version 2.1.

I want to get the 1080i50 output (which disappeared from the newer firmware) so I'm looking for the Blackmagic Camera 1.5.0 firmware to downgrade. (this advice is given in various other posts in this forum)

Is there anybody who can provide me a link? The official download page only goes back to version 1.7...

I would be eternally grateful!

update: I contacted support and they were so kind enough to send me a link! thnx!
Last edited by Leon Berenschot on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Berenschot

Re: Blackmagic Camera 1.5.0 for BMPCC

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am

Update: I contacted support and they were so kind enough to send me a link! thnx!

Sebastián Noó Bermúdez

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Leon,

Version 1.7 should work, while still turning off the OSD indicators. Anyway it is not a real 1080i50 capture, in fact the capture is done in 1080p25 and in the output we get 1080 and 2 fields taken from the whole frame, so they were not captured at different times, as is the case with the 1080i50.
The result is rare, it works in equipment that accepts 1080i50 but it looks like 1080p25.

best regards.
Sebastián Noó Bermúdez
CEO Audiovisuales
Sybila Producciones

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes, because that is exactly what you get. BM set the camera output in this FW to give a quasi interlaced signal, which actually is a 1080 PsF 25 (24 NTSC) and put in an interlaced wrapper, to make it appear like 1080i50 (or 108059.94 when set to 24fps NTSC) to get it recorded by older gear that does not accept progressive signals, or display on interlaced monitors, in addition to working with interlaced Video switchers (the most often used reason). But, it is still a 1080p25 signal, and Sebastian pointed out, and will display as one.

When the Pocket camera first came out, most small camera monitors were still 1080i or 720p, as 1080p was too wide a bandwidth for the earlier HDMI 1.4 standards which did not yet support 1080p. The “1080i”output in FW 1.5 (1.7) was a band aid applied to allow the Pocket camera to be used with these monitors, as truce 1080p monitors (mostly SDI only) were still very expensive (cost more than the camera at the time).

A year or so later, after release, of less expensive monitors that supported 1080p with HDMI 2.0/2.1 standard became available, which the Pocket camera supports. So newer firmware updates dropped the 1080 PsF 24/25 output, as relatively inexpensive 1080p HDMI monitors became available. Also, BM did not design the Pocket as a Live production camera to be used with a video switcher, but rather as a stand alone camera for recording to its SD card to be used in post production editing, as are most the the “Cinema” camera line (Ursa Mini Pro being an exception).

If you need a small camera for live production/video switching, the BM Micro Studio Camera is better suited, as it can output a true 1080i50/59.94/60 signal, a,one with 720p. Also it uses the same lens mount as the Pocket (MFT), and uses the same lenses and adapters, adding B4 lens support, the Pocket camera lacks. The. IcromStuido also,adds SDI output for sending the signal to the mixer over longer cable runs (HDMI on BM camera’s is limited to about 15 feet or 3 meters). While it is UHD capable, the BMMSC can also output HD, and also includes a HDMI output.

PsF was developed for TV production to get scanned films to display on interlaced TV, and later used to display progressive signals from newer cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production