Blackmagic Video Assist 5" and 7" feature request

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tim Pfautsch

Blackmagic Video Assist 5" and 7" feature request

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 am

Hey people.

To me the BM VA 5" is the PERFECT budget monitor.
BUT
there are things that would be additions that easily transport this lil inexpensive monitor into territory that would make it even more interesting for serious DPs.

I am talking: Downstream LUTs.
Why doesnt the BM VA send the image downstream with a LUT applied?
Especially for low budget peepz that would be awesome. Any old TV or non LUT Monitor can suddenly become a second grade production monitor.

BUT most importantly.
There is no option to read exposure from the image with an LUT applied. I hear you people that do not do that, they want to see their crushed blacks and clipped highlights. So make it an option to toggle between (I know many very knowledgable DPs that actually do that).

I just cant light from that monitor, but I would like to, so very much.
So thing is, I have to switch to SmallHD if that`s not going to happen.

Cheers
Tim

Dennis Sørensen

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist 5" and 7" feature request

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Well.. you do have false color. Perfect for exposure control and histogram..

And the 4K 7" model has Waveform, parade and vector scopes.. and of cause false color and histogram also.

The processor in the 5" is too small to handle those things.

Tim Pfautsch

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Yes, I mainly use False Color. But it measures pre LUT. Which is not what I want. I want to measure exposure levels from a final tweaked LUTted image. I want to spread all the values where I want them to be on set. Not in post. Thats not really possible atm.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Future version with four hybrid liquid lens enabled 4kp50/60 10-12 bit camera module for it, for 3D and post effects and focus processing.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Tim Pfautsch

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Future version witj four hybrid liquid lens enabled 4kp50/60 10-12 bit camera module for it, for 3D and post effects and focus processing.

I don't think that my request is ridiculous .

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 am

Tim Pfautsch wrote:I don't think that my request is ridiculous .

Your request doesn't seem rediculous. Mine is based on business strategy, forming a handheld camera with a 4 point 3D POV head that can mount on a pole, or discrete places. Such heads can be 5mm thick by 2/3rds frame size (over 12 mm). But a s35mm to imax medium format (around 65mm wide) are possible. It hardly adds anything to the size of the an assist just stick on the back iron the case. There are processing platforms to handle this, even in 8k, that could enable a 8k pocket camera (if only the small sensors were available cheap enough). In post you can make focus, aperture, shape, color a lighting in 3D. That is revolutionary. Make one choice on set and another in post if you don't like it. Set lighting for scenes with dynamic lighting added on screen with vitlrtual lights is possible (but don't know if the processing solution for a pocket camera can handle this). They also have patents for a bigger version. Should be excellent fir special effects and 3D body motion capture.

Except for things like in camera dynamic virtual lighting, these are the sorts of things the Red hydrogen phone with multipoint camera module should enable. Except there is a possibility there for a competitor. You have to pay for the phone in phone factor and the module. It is likely cheaper to use a mass market chipset, like the one I'm suggesting, and build everything into one single pocket unit with some small phone sensors. There is a $1000AU product if you don't go overboard.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm

The 5"is running at max processing capacity. That is why the more advanced features are only available to the 7"4K version.. (Some will also have to do with clever sales strategy.. )

But for the 5" it is what it is.. A super cheap 6G enabled preview monitor. With HD recoding function. Dont expect a million features on it.. As it just add's a lot of cost to the product.

That is why they created a more powerfull version 7" 4K. which does have more features but is more expensive too.. And this price is not only for the 2"of screen surface you gain ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Tim, like Daniel mentions, the VA 5-inch is just a small on camera monitor designed for quick reference and framing the shot, and recording ProRes, etc in HD format, as an option to DSLR internal compressed recording codecs.
To get accurate exposure levels, with Luts downstream, you would be better off with either a reference video monitor or a scope monitor, that can measure the displayed values accurately.

Adding more features like this to the small VA5-inch would increace its price to over $1K.
Another (more expensive) option is the Video Devices Pix E, available in 5 or 7-inch, with much better audio support. But again it cost almost twice what the VA 5-inch does. So you kinda of get what you pay for.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath on any changes to either VA. BM can't seem to find the resources to add file names based on unit id, something I would have thought they could have given to an intern to fix. If they can't even do that... what in the world makes you think they can do anything else.

My impression of the BM software dev shop is that it has ground to a halt.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes Gene, so it would seem —or BM is coming out with a very big surprise at NAB? :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:My impression of the BM software dev shop is that it has ground to a halt.

I wouldn't say that. We just got a big update for the Ursa family, and less recently the Micro line, as well as the Hyperdecks, plus whatever they're going to show at NAB.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:or BM is coming out with a very big surprise at NAB? :roll:
Cheers

Yes i do think so.. A new VA that does 12Gsdi and makes the 5" and 7" discontinued products :D :lol:
So you can pull your bank account once more.. :P Hehe
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Gromit

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:15 pm

I work a lot with movies for social media and use a lot of strange aspect
ratio in my footage.

I would like to be able to create other frame guides than
those that are preinstalled in my video assist. For exampel I would like to
have 1:1, 4:5 and 9:16 to be able to frame the shot right from the start.

If it's difficult to develop a feature in the software so you can create
your own and upload to the video assist like you do with LUTs today, maybe
it would be possible to add a fram guide that is 1:1, that's the most
important that i miss today.

Anyone else who wants this?

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

I think the VA will display grids, if so, this would give you a 1:1 guide, or close to it. Another option is to take some black film material and make a mask to cover the VA screen with the desired guide. Translucent gel material would also work. Just a little gaffer tape to hold it on — and Bob’s your uncle :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gromit

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I think the VA will display grids, if so, this would give you a 1:1 guide, or close to it. Another option is to take some black film material and make a mask to cover the VA screen with the desired guide. Translucent gel material would also work. Just a little gaffer tape to hold it on — and Bob’s your uncle :!:
Cheers

Yes the BM VA can show grids but how do you mean I can see a frame guide 1:1 in this? The grid is devided in thirds vertical and horizontal so it's 9 boxes.

The thing I want is to know how much that will be croped later in post on the right and left side to get 1:1 aspect ratio. So I don't cut important stuff by mistake when shooting :)

And yes I can use tape but It's no good when I want to see for example the histogram thats in the corner of the screen. So that's why I want a 1:1 along with the other frame guides. (Today I use 4:3 but then I will crop more than that in post)

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm

The two vertical lines are close to a 1:1 crop on the sides, and disregard the horizontal lines and boxes.
The left and right vertical lines are close, but not quite on the mark for the 1:1 crop from the or 1:1.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gromit

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The two vertical lines are close to a 1:1 crop on the sides, and disregard the horizontal lines and boxes.
The left and right vertical lines are close, but not quite on the mark for the 1:1 crop from the or 1:1.
Cheers

Ok, but still hope for a 1:1 from BM in new firmware so I got it on the mark ;)

And the benefit having it in the center is to be able to move the footage both ways on the X-axis in post with some footage outside the 1:1.

But thx for the advice meanwhile!

Dominik Belancic

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Out of all of the requests I still think that having LUTs on the outputs would be great.

Not only for something like a client monitor, but also if you are someone like me using an el cheapo HDMI evf with no lut support and using the VA 5" as a signal converter, amongst its other features as well.

jsolterbeck

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi - so guys: are there any small monitors that send a LUT downstream? I love my 5"s but I'm happy to grab one from Atomos or SmallHD to get a LUT on there. I'm just having a hard time finding that spec online.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

The SmallHD 500 and 700 series monitors send the LUT out HDMI or SDI, depending on the model.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Not that these products get much love from BM, but it would be nice if there was image overlay.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 pm

The SmallHD Foxus, 501and 501have an image overlay also, a still shot is saved to the monitor’s SD card, than you can overlay it on the screen, to line up repeating or split screen shots.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The SmallHD Foxus, 501and 501have an image overlay also, a still shot is saved to the monitor’s SD card, than you can overlay it on the screen, to line up repeating or split screen shots.
Cheers

So you're saying don't buy BM if you need this feature?

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 am

Well, if you need it now... BM is not currently supporting these features on the VA. An image overlay requires a second buffer or another SD card to read the still overlay frame from. If you use the VA as a monitor only, and if the VA can support writing a single frame capture to its SD card, to use for the overlay, then it might be possible. But, BM has not implemented this or outputting a LUT display on either model of the VA to date.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography