Panasonic 12-35mm on BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TomWhitwell

Panasonic 12-35mm on BMPCC

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Looking at getting the following lens for use on BMPCC and GH5. Will the I.S. work on BMPCC?

PANASONIC LUMIX G X VARIO II PROFESSIONAL LENS, 12-35MM, DUAL I.S. 2.0 WITH POWER OPTICAL I.S

Thanks,
Tom

Brad Hurley

Re: Panasonic 12-35mm on BMPCC

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 3:34 pm

That's one of the most widely recommended lenses for the BMPCC, at least as an all-purpose lens. I bought this myself (the most recent version of the lens), and image stabilization worked fine -- note that (at least in my case) image stabilization only worked once I started recording. When simply viewing, I saw a lot of camera shake that suddenly disappeared when I hit the record button.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Johannes Hoffmann

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm

You might consider the new Panasonic 12-60 f2.8-4 as well. When I tested both at the shop I had the feeling that the stabiliser on the 12-60 worked better. For me the longer reach was more important than the continuos aperture of 2.8.
The focus by wire needs some getting used to. Every lens is a compromise. But both the 12-35 and the 12-60 are nice work horses for the BMPCC. Hard to beat if you need a good zoom with stabilisation.

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Stu Aitken

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 pm

the Oly equivalent 12-40mm f2.8 might also be worth a look - its very well regarded and better built than the pana lens (slightly bigger but not much really)

it doesn't have OIS but does have a manual focus clutch which is much nicer to use than the fly by wire control (it doesn't have a huge throw but is at least consistent, and not variable depending on how fast you turn it)

they also have a new 12-100mm f4 as well which is more like the lens Johannes mentioned (the panasonic is f2.8 only at the very widest setting - so you could see it as essentially an f4 lens anyway) but with even more reach and it DOES have OIS as well as the manual focus clutch I believe - its bigger though and more $$$

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/len ... index.html

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Both good points Stu, I looked at eye Oky, but went with the Panny Leica 12-60 for several reasons, first it matches IQ of my PL Primes, the PL 12-60 whi,e it is focus by wire, it is very smooth and responsive, focus change the ring slowly, and the focus change is slow, turn the ring quicker and the speed of the focus change is also faster, kind of like the zoom rocker in an ENG camera.

But the most important reason, is this lens was designed for video videography, it has near silent iris, focus and zoom motors, iris changes are step-less, no clicks or jumps (important for iris ramping during zoom change), and this lens is truly parfocal, foxus holds during the zoom change. It is also a little lighter than Oly, which was my first choice before the PL 12-60 came out.

But for a small compact zoom, the Panny 12-35 ver 2 is also excellent, and was the first go to zoom for the Pocket camera. OIS works only when actually recording on the Pocket, to save battery drain.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Denny Smith wrote: OIS works only when actually recording on the Pocket, to save battery drain.
Cheers

Thanks for confirming that -- I noticed this and assumed it was a feature not a bug, but wasn't sure. :)

Another thing I learned on this forum, which somehow escaped me despite all the research I did before buying the BMPCC, is the need for an IR-UV filter when using the BMPCC. Most cameras nowadays come with IR filters on the sensor so I assumed a filter wasn't needed, but apparently the Pocket Camera is an exception. I did get an ND filter of course, but wasn't aware of the need for an IR filter (I'll get the Hoya IR-UV filter) for each lens.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Yes, a IR Cut is almost mandatory on both the Pocket and BMCC, as well as the BMPC cameras.
The Ursa. ,Ins is a little better, but the UM 4K also does better with IR cut. The Micro cameras are also improved in terms of IR pollution issues, but all digital cameras are effected to some extent by IR issues, some just more than others. A good IR/ND can also be used, like the Firecrest NDs, which have a IR cut built in.

The early BM cameras had minimum cover glass filtering, to get the rich color response BM was looking for, and left additional filtering requirements to the user, as was done in the film days. After all, these are Cinema type cameras and not point and shoot video cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Greg Lee

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 2:40 am

I own the 12-35 version 1, and the 12-60. They are both phenomenal. Perfect lenses for the Pocket/Micro because they are sharp (Pocket tends to be a bit soft), with terrific color rendering, and IS . Can't lose with either.

My only note is that the 12-60 is a tiny bit tough to use inside at anything but 12mm, because it drops to F4 almost instantly through the zoom, and F4 is kinda dark on the small sensor. But doable.

Though you MAY want to look at the Olympus 12-100 f4 with IS. Gets terrific reviews as well...

nathan1001

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm

I have the 12-35 OIS - and I cant tell the if the OIS is even doing anything. Ive recorded handheld with OIS on and then off - and see little if any difference. Is there a setting in-camera Im missing? Does cold weather effect it? I was shooting yesterday on a client shoot outdoors with temps around 27 F - and footage is sooooo shaky.

Thx!

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Try your comparison hand holding the camera at 35mm, then you should see a small difference. OIS on this lens is OK, but not as good as the new OIS lenses have.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nathan1001

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Try your comparison hand holding the camera at 35mm, then you should see a small difference. OIS on this lens is OK, but not as good as the new OIS lenses have.
Cheers

Ha! I just got this lens. I thought it *was* the new one. Perhaps a return is in order. Could you post a link to the newer version?

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

The Panasonic Lumix 12-35 Ver 2, is the new one. Do a Google or similar search. Also you can look it up on B&H’s site. Also, if you have an older original 12-35, it may need a firmware update to work properly on the BM camera. The lenses look the same, at first glance.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nathan1001

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks Denny. Looks like I have the newer one: Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens (assuming the II means 2). Ill have to try it at 35 and see if I notice it actually doing anything.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes you have the newer lens, which others have reported works well. That said in lens stabilization is not the same as IBIS p, especially 5-axis. You get 3-axis and it really is only effective from 20-35mm, wide angle lenses do not show a lot of movement and are easily hand held, unlike the longer focal lengths, were OIS really helps. But this is not a perfect solution, for real steady shooting, you still need a gimbal.
Cheers.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 1:58 am

Don’t expect too much for filming from OIS.
If you need to move around or don’t have a very steady hand, you’ll need a gimbal.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography