HD-SDI capture for Windows Laptop with USB-C

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

apavloff

HD-SDI capture for Windows Laptop with USB-C

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi!

What's the lowest-cost BMD hardware I can use to plug into my Windows 10 Laptop to capture 1080p HD-SDI with?

I have USB 3.0 port x3 (SuperSpeed) and one Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port.

I initially though the UltraStudio Mini Recorder would do the job, but then a forum post said that the device can't be powered through USB-C.

So, it's that true...
1) Are there any... TB3 docks that will power an UltraStudio so I can go Laptop <- USBC -> Dock <- TB3 -> UltraStudio?

2) Should I just go find one of the old USB3 UltraStudio SDI?

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: HD-SDI capture for Windows Laptop with USB-C

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 3:17 pm

apavloff wrote:I initially though the UltraStudio Mini Recorder would do the job, but then a forum post said that the device can't be powered through USB-C.

Where did you read that? The thing is that you need a propper USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 converter cable. As some cheaper chinese stuff doesn't handle the speed very well.. ;)

When using Apple i do recommend the official USB-C to TB converter from apple. But on windows i have no clue what to use..

Also you mention 1080P? What framerate are you targetting for? The Ultrastudio Mini recorders will do 1080P30 maximum!!

The Ultrastudio HD mini will do 1080P60 max UltraStudio HD Mini
Also the HD mini is direct USB-C and powered by USB-C!! So no converter cables needed! :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Asgeir Hustad

Re: HD-SDI capture for Windows Laptop with USB-C

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Also the HD mini is direct USB-C and powered by USB-C!! So no converter cables needed! :)

No, the HD Mini is Thunderbolt 3 - you can't use it on a regular Windows PC that just has USB-C, you need a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 interface. I love the unit though, it's given me excellent quality video into a new Macbook Pro with just a single cable, no extra power bricks or anything.

Return to Getting Started