Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolve + Fusion Connect Question

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Fred Pienkos

Resolve + Fusion Connect Question

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just starting to get into Fusion Connect and I have a few questions. If anyone has been working with Fusion Connect and can offer any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

1. I would like to utilize the version functionality of the FC clip on clips/seq's that were not originally created from within Resolve itself as a FC clip. Is it possible to take a image sequence already created by Fusion that is on disk, and bring it into Resolve as a FC clip?

2. When creating a FC clip from Resolve, it adds a Unique folder name (example: d1a11317-1cab-4csb-vf40-11383b45acr2) to the folder structure for the FC clip. Is this absolutely necessary? I would prefer to be able to specify the root directory for the FC clip, and have everything under that directory only. This way other applications could access this directory intelligently without having to know or decipher the unique folder. For example : I would like to run a script in fusion that would determine the shotname, and automatically path the saver to the appropriate directory that the FC clip is expecting to find the seq in.

Have a good one, and thanks.

Mike C Bonner

Re: Resolve + Fusion Connect Question

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 pm

1. I think the FC clip is just a container to link to a Fusion project file located where it knows where to find it. Therefore, you could create a FC clip out of whatever (a video clip, etc.), open the Fusion project and paste your other fusion project within. You just have to make sure the newly created loader and saver nodes are linked. I've done this a few times.

2. This would be nice. It is a bit tedious to dig through folders to find a specific project. But, presently, you could save only one FC clip in its own folder named whatever you want when you create the clip. ie, drive>fusionconnects>car, drive>fusionconnects>house, etc. Just have to do a bit more organization on the front end.

Fred Pienkos

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks Mike.
I guess the detail I failed to specify, is that I would like the functionality of FC but I do not want to create the Fusion comp from within Resolve.

The Fusion comps already exist. In Resolve, I want to essentially select a folder for Shot1. Inside of that folder are folders for each version.

Code: Select all
\Shot1\
  v01\
  v02\
  v03\

I would like Resolve to recognize those versions, and notice when a v04 appears. But I would like to do this in Resolve after the comps are already completed. it is essentially just the second half of Fusion Connect.

Possible?

Mike C Bonner

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 2:29 am

I see. Not that I'm aware of.

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 am

You can do something equivalent to this by first just creating one FC inside Resolve.
Then "create new version" inside the FC menu. In Fusion, go back from this new v2 tab to the v1 tab : changing "v1" to "v2" in the saver filename allows you to create a new version from where you were at the v1 state.
In Resolve, right click > FC > select version lets you toggle between versions...

Given this WF, you may be able to replace files in the FC folders, but I think you must start at least once in Resolve to create the first path... Hope it was clear, not sure about that :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Fred Pienkos

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Understood. This is technically what we are doing now to test FC, but in order to put it to use in a larger scale this workflow won't really work for us. It creates more work for us to have to create the shots out of Resolve every time.

Feature request would be to add the ability in Resolve to import all versions of a clip from a "hot folder", example below.

Shot 1 has a hot folder, and every version folder inside of it gets added to the clip. In Resolve, you can select which version you want the clip on the timeline to be playing. It would also be nice if it notified you when a new version was detected.

Sam Steti wrote:You can do something equivalent to this by first just creating one FC inside Resolve.
Then "create new version" inside the FC menu. In Fusion, go back from this new v2 tab to the v1 tab : changing "v1" to "v2" in the saver filename allows you to create a new version from where you were at the v1 state.
In Resolve, right click > FC > select version lets you toggle between versions...

Given this WF, you may be able to replace files in the FC folders, but I think you must start at least once in Resolve to create the first path... Hope it was clear, not sure about that :)

Sam Steti

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm

You indeed cannot tweak by a "relink principle" to choose versions among a selection of clips so far.
You know, Fusion Connect just recently popped-up at the end of the day, I personally appreciate there's yet a strong connection between Resolve and Fusion...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Fred Pienkos

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Sam Steti wrote:You indeed cannot tweak by a "relink principle" to choose versions among a selection of clips so far.
You know, Fusion Connect just recently popped-up at the end of the day, I personally appreciate there's yet a strong connection between Resolve and Fusion...

Agreed. It is excellent to see this development. I hope there is continued refinement, because this could easily go from a 'helpful option' to a feature that people don't understand how they ever worked with out it before, entire pipelines could be based on this toolset if developed more.

Return to Fusion