Getting ADAT audio + HDMI video into Atomos Shogun Flame

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Eric Jones

Getting ADAT audio + HDMI video into Atomos Shogun Flame

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Hey,

Bit of a problem. I have an Atomos Shogun Flame which has only SDI 12g 12 channel audio input and HDMI 8 channel audio input.
I would like to use it to record HDMI 2.1 video from one source (Titan X pascal GPU output 1080p 120hz) + ADAT audio from another source (RME Babyface Pro TOSLINK out).
I need it to be ADAT not SPDIF (for SPDIF there seems to be direct HDMI embedders) as I need more than 2 channels.

Im not very familiar with audio, but my understanding is that this might work:

HDMI -> Blackmagic Teranex Mini -> 12G SDI video
and
ADAT -> RME ADI-4 DD -> AES / EBU audio
then both outputs into
12G SDI + AES / EBU -> Teranex Mini Audio to SDI 12G -> 12G SDI with 4 channel audio

Would this setup allow me to have 120hz 1080p video input with 4 channel audio into the Shogun?

Would there be audio distortion / issues running it through several devices like this, if it does work (audio delay is not a significant issue as audio can be offset within the Shogun)?

Is there a simpler way?

Kind Regards
Eric

Jack Fairley

Re: Getting ADAT audio + HDMI video into Atomos Shogun Flame

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

None of the BMD gear is going to recognize 1080p 120Hz video.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Eric Jones

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 pm

SDI 12G support 1080p 120hz? Wikipedia suggests that it does. Are you familiar with the hardware? Could a dev or mod respond.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:26 am

12G-SDI has sufficient bandwidth to carry 1080p120, yes, but that doesn't mean that BMD has implemented that format on any of their gear. The Shogun Flame supports analog audio in over XLR using a breakout cable, I suspect it will be much cheaper to convert your digital audio signal and just use the HDMI ports for video rather than do anything else.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Eric Jones

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 am

Please, read the full post. The XLR only inputs 2 channels. I need 4 or more. Could somebody with a real solution answer, need to progress on this.

Eric Jones

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 am

Also the XLR into the shogun is already taking a mic in.
Could answers please specify exact gear and requirements. General 2 second responses don't help me at all.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am

Shogun Flame doesnt even support 1080 120Fps.. Website says "Future upgrade"

Also it has a 12G sdi port but supports a max framerate of 4K 30P. :? (Which is 6G max)

If you want to go 1080 120Fps you need the Shogun Inferno. (Flag ship of the Atomos recorders)
And that is if you get it to work in that mode.. As normally this is used for high speed shooting raw from cameras. 1080 up to 240 Fps.

For the audio part.. Use 2 embedded channels in the hdmi.. And record 2 extra channels to the analog input of the atomos. ;) In the atomos it will be 12 channels.. So enough room..

But what you want to do with it?? Because if you want to edit this and drop on youtube or so.. YT is only up to 30Fps.. As are most CDN's.. But then again i don't know were you need this for. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 am

Daniel, it is not 1080p120fps Video it is 1080p at 120hz frequency. The OP has got a TV monitor refresh rate (120hz) confused with video resolution 1080p. He does not mention what the frame rate is. Or. He means 120fps and not 120hz? The video is coming from the HDMI output on a graphics video card, normally used in gaming and VR systems. Not sure this would even work, as it is designed to connect to a 120hz Monitor. This is the point of confusion here.

As for converting ADAT audio to HDMI or SDI imbedded, that is going to be tricky. He wants to take video (probably gaming or VR) from a Video graphic card output (HDMI and merge a 2:1 surround-a-sound audio feed) from a RMA Baby Face USB MIDI digital audio interface connected to his source computer. The RMA unit outputs the audio via a toslink optical ADAT type connector (fiber optics). Toslink was originally designed to move 8-channels of unbalanced audio data over an optical digital interface, which was common on many digital audio systems, used in home theater setups, home recording studios, and early digital recording systems before AES/EBU using XLR connectors (balanced audio) and full scale fiber optic systems became the preferred digital audio signal interface in most professional audio production systems, and now LAN based systems. Toslink ADAT is mostly used today for interfacing digital mixers with computer based recording/editing systems.

Seems to me, Eric is trying to mix apples and oranges to get a banana! :roll: He would better off getting a proper video/audio interface card that would give him a HDMI output with his 8 channels of audio already embedded. Perhaps he is developing on-line gaming programs, or playing on them, and wants to record the games in real-time. :?:
Good Luck Eric.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started