Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to get network rendering on mac to actually work ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

steve oakley

How to get network rendering on mac to actually work ?

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 3:49 am

I've googled this a lot
RFTM'd a manual that is incredibly sparse

I have a master controller setup
it sees 2 other macs as render nodes ok
thats it. can't network render.

error messages are typically about not being able to read or write local volume on render master.

I've tried adding SMB://render_machine_IP/Volumes/local drive path to the saver path
I've tried adding SMB://render_machine_IP/Volumes/local drive path to the loader path
I've tried turning on reverse lookup with slightly different error messages
I don't have a single windows machine here so drive letters and stuff about UNC are meaningless to me.
I've tried mounting locally the network volumes holding everything

I"ve read some cryptic "use PathMap" suggestions - WHERE ? render node ? Comping machine local comp prefs or master prefs ? and WHAT needs to be changed and HOW ? just some reasonable clue here would go along way never mind anything more specific.

not to be upset at anyone here but the docs are useless, and several posts I found here are equally short on any useful details to make anything work... why should this be so hard or even require any manual config when its clear the machines all see each other and talk... so what is so hard for the software to append whatever network SMB://Whatever It Needs automatically ? its what computers are good at doing !

sorry just need to get it working without spending a week on it....
TIA
S

Sample Log : yes render nod is opening comp. but not getting media

localhost (127.0.0.1) is assigned frame 35 of /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 - space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) is loaded & ready to render /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) is assigned frame 36 of /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101): Loader1 failed to load file "/Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/TEST from Space/DR C300-000000002.jpg" (clip "/Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/TEST from Space/DR C300-2.jpg" at frame 0) : No such file or directory
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101): Merge1 cannot get foreground image at time 36
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101): Saver1 cannot get Parameter for Input at time 36
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101): Saver1 failed at time 36
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 = ERROR: space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) *failed* frame 36 of /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) has been reassigned
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 - space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) closed the comp /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp.
28/Sep/17 00:41:34 + space-2016.local (10.1.1.101) disconnected, did 0 frames of /Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/Truck Shot Test/T est.comp
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Frank Feijen

Re: How to get network rendering on mac to actually work ?

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 am

I agree, and unfortunately can't help - since I'm getting kinda the same error messages when using 2 windows-machines. It works flawlessly however, as long as there are no loaders in my comp...

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am

Frank Feijen wrote:I agree, and unfortunately can't help - since I'm getting kinda the same error messages when using 2 windows-machines. It works flawlessly however, as long as there are no loaders in my comp...

Usually this means that you don't use network accesible loader names. It's not just the saver path, the footage also needs to come from paths that are the same for all connected computers.
I don't know how this works on a mac, but on Windows you either have to map drives or make sure the network paths are all the same.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

David_Cox

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 am

As Sander said, this seems to be related to your render node not being able to locate the source footage. When remote renders are launched, Fusion does not send any footage to the render nodes. They instead just follow the paths in the loaders and savers within the comp.

The first error in your log says;

"Loader1 failed to load file "/Volumes/Cache SSD/FUSION/TEST from Space/DR C300-000000002.jpg"

So looking from the perspective of the render node, if you went to that path, would you find the Jpeg file? I suspect you would not because the file is actually on your master machine at that location, not on the render node.

There are two solutions. The first is to set up your master machine and your render nodes to ensure that the paths are the same. That is, make sure that (say) "/Volumes/myData" points to the same data no matter whether you access that path from the node or master. Then when fusion runs, it will always find your shots. I'm not a Mac person, but look into Aliasing paths as this might help.

For example on my windows setup, my media is located on a drive called M:/Media on the master. I then set up my network nodes to map that network drive to appear as M:/Media on the render nodes.

The second solution is the Path Map system in Fusion, which allows you to tell it that the paths stated in the comps needs to be redirected to somewhere else. For example, on each render node you would access the preferences of the Fusion Renderer and select Global>Path Map. You could then use the "New>from" and "New>to" entries to set up a redirection. For example from "/Volumes/Cache SSD" to "/Volumes/myRemoteCacheSSD" if your networked folder is mounted as "myRemoteCacheSSD". Now, whenever Fusion looks for "CacheSSD" it will actually look in "myRemoteCacheSSD".

Hope that helps.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

steve oakley

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks. After hours of messing around, getting NFS running, i finally mounted the main machines drives on the local render nodes... And suddenly it started working. I'd initially done this and things failed. No clue. So it will be interesting to see it work tomorrow again. Need to get script to mount matter machine drives onto render nodes... Them to get this working next on a Linux box in a week or two

UPDATE: 2 days later back to the same stuff even with drives mounted on local render nodes... and constant crashing under 10.13 while rendering. was stable with 10.12.6

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Marc Gasser

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi

Any news or tricks on this?

Also trying to network render. When I do it with two OSX machines, everything runs smootly, but when I try to network render with two Linux machines, I always get error: could not load comp

Have a NAS mounted via NFS on both machines at the exact same mountpoint.
Opening the comp on each individual machine works, but as soon as use one machine used as a render slave it gives me the could not load comp error.
Tried with all kind of mouts, NFS to SAMBA, slightly have the feeling its an error on Blackmagic side.
Firewall is disabled.

@steve oakley: could you make it to run on linux?
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Return to Fusion